Campfire Kahuna
J

I am MAGA.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I played all the classics... obviously the William Tell overture and 1812 overture were favorites along with others. I started the violin in forth grade, Dad and Mom were big in square dancing and wanted me to be a fiddler. I could do that but as a violinist the classics are where it's at.

7th grade started Jr high, our instructor/conductor Mr Englesman was a task master, perfectionist, had an ego. As well he should. he was first chair, first string violin of the Phoenix orchestra... means he was the best... could play any instrument and nationally known. Besides school he would book us all over and many events. He was arrogant and not easy to please or get along with. I thought I got rid of him when I moved to High school in the 10th grade... he came in to class at the end of the year and announced he was moving to the high school, so I had him for 6 years.

In orchestra there are first string violin and second string violin, they play different parts at the same time, first string is a bit harder, second string a bit easier but both important. First chair of each section leads all those behind them.

In high school I was first chair, second string. Mr Englesman said I was plenty good enough for middle of the pack in first string but would I accept first chair of second string, as my timing, rhythm and form were perfect to lead. So that's were I played for 3 years.

Jr and Sr years he got us in national competitions, we took first in San Francisco once, second a lot of times. We were damn good, not just the average squeeky school orchestra.

Best place we played was Grady Gammage at ASU, Frank Lloyd Wright designed and the acoustics are unreal. It was a national competition. Mr Englesman said before the event we wouldn't come in first, as these events favor out of state competitors because they have to travel so far... we were local. 1812 overture, and when that last note ended and moved around that hall, the hairs in my neck stood up and a tingle down the spine, a standing ovation... we knew we were the best.

I don't like classic music to listen to... but it was different playing it, being part of it, working for it, at a high level.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Timeless classic from the baroque master. Great taste, Jim.

Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Who likes classical music. I think this is a good one for today.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by krp
I played all the classics... obviously the William Tell overture and 1812 overture were favorites along with others. I started the violin in forth grade, Dad and Mom were big in square dancing and wanted me to be a fiddler. I could do that but as a violinist the classics are where it's at.

7th grade started Jr high, our instructor/conductor Mr Englesman was a task master, perfectionist, had an ego. As well he should. he was first chair, first string violin of the Phoenix orchestra... means he was the best... could play any instrument and nationally known. Besides school he would book us all over and many events. He was arrogant and not easy to please or get along with. I thought I got rid of him when I moved to High school in the 10th grade... he came in to class at the end of the year and announced he was moving to the high school, so I had him for 6 years.

In orchestra there are first string violin and second string violin, they play different parts at the same time, first string is a bit harder, second string a bit easier but both important. First chair of each section leads all those behind them.

In high school I was first chair, second string. Mr Englesman said I was plenty good enough for middle of the pack in first string but would I accept first chair of second string, as my timing, rhythm and form were perfect to lead. So that's were I played for 3 years.

Jr and Sr years he got us in national competitions, we took first in San Francisco once, second a lot of times. We were damn good, not just the average squeeky school orchestra.

Best place we played was Grady Gammage at ASU, Frank Lloyd Wright designed and the acoustics are unreal. It was a national competition. Mr Englesman said before the event we wouldn't come in first, as these events favor out of state competitors because they have to travel so far... we were local. 1812 overture, and when that last note ended and moved around that hall, the hairs in my neck stood up and a tingle down the spine, a standing ovation... we knew we were the best.

I don't like classic music to listen to... but it was different playing it, being part of it, working for it, at a high level.

Kent

cool story Kent.

The things we learn because someone posts something off the usual topics.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I played tenor saxophone in school.

About half way through they needed a Baritone sax player.

I couldn't read bass clef. ....

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Same thing here. My school had music transferred to G clef. Tenor was the better horn for me.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Is this a classic/classical?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j1KZOApOVlg

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
And now.

For the most beautiful piece of music ever written or sung.

I am bawling my eyes out right now.

You sip Keystone Light with your pinkie in the air when you listen to this stuff? (Asking for a friend.) 🎻

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jim C.,

I understand that some music can get you a little teary eyed. I taught in Tucson from 1972 to 2003. A few of the schools like Wakefield and Pueblo had a strong mexican influence. I can remember riding the team/band bus back from a Pueblo football game. Quite a few of the band members also played marachi music. One of the kids would hit a few notes on his trumpet and the entire bus would begin to sing an old traditional mexican song. This would repeat with a series of songs for the entire trip!

Linda Ronstadt performed some traditional songs in the collection called Canciones de mi Padre. Linda is amazing!

Here is one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-fvsnLocBM&list=RDJc4LBeANZ8Y&index=2

This will link you to several. Within this set is a song called Cigarra aka cicada and man does she belt out those long notes!!! IMO some of Linda's best work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EIhXzm3SGs

Last edited by Azshooter; 10/21/21.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Okay, I'll play!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...5724FAC174&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Prelude in E minor by Fredrich Chopin

Last edited by lngrng; 10/21/21. Reason: added text.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
By the way, The guitar Jimmy Page used is called a Fender Telecaster B Bender. I has linkage in the back of the body and when you push down on the neck, it allows the bridge to move enough to raise the note played a half note higher.
I'll bet Wheelchair Bandit was familiar with this somewhat rare guitar!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna

Last edited by Mannlicher; 10/21/21.

Sam......

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,390 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,663
Posts18,455,732
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.