Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Spent this weekend visiting my 77 year old father who recently beat throat cancer but his years are numbered. He confirmed the pistol pictured below would be willed to me. It was handed down to him by his stepfather in 1985 after his passing. My father has never fired it, and does not recall his stepdad shooting it. No S&W box, just stored in a holster and well oiled for decades.

The butt of pistol is stamped K877xxx. The yoke is stamped with the SN and just below has Mod 17-3 . The “7” appears to have been re-stamped over a number “6” ??? Inet research indicates this pistol was made in 1969. Just looking to confirm
date and possibly why the cylinder yoke is stamped like I described. Possible factory error and re-stamping ?

The pistol cylinder shows very minimal wear and the deep lustre factory bluing looks excellent. Bore appears unfired, and front & rear of cylinder shows no powder residue or wear. If it was “fired”, it was shot very few times. Is the current value around $450-550 ? Thanks in advance

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

www.raginblaze.com - Cajun Seasoning with a Southwest Flare

Low sodium, No MSG, infused with smoked chipotle peppers

other seasonings/mixes: taco, chili, fajita, jerky, sausage seasoning, seafood boil, N.O. style coffee & chicory, beignet mix.....
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Very nice. More like $750 to $850.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, looks to be in very good condition. Would suggest not storing it in a leather holster.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Agree with both posts above.

Not that you are looking to do so, but if you posted that at 450-500 it would be gone in a flash

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thx for the replies, greatly appreciated. Is the date of 1969 correct based on the SN ? This pistol will eventually be passed down to my son. Regarding the actual model #, is it a Mod 17, 17-3, Targetmaster, ? Or are they all the same ? Will definitely tell my dad to remove from the leather holster and store it in a silicon pistol sack.

other seasonings/mixes: taco, chili, fajita, jerky, sausage seasoning, seafood boil, N.O. style coffee & chicory, beignet mix.....
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Per SCS&W

1969 K848782 - K946391

It's a 17-3 indicating the third engineering change since adopting the model numbering system in 1957.
Prior to that they were known as the K-22 Masterpiece.

That's a $700- 800 gun all day long around here.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Reference this part " The “7” appears to have been re-stamped over a number “6” ??? ":

Odds are more likely that it was actually stamped over an 8, as the Model 18 is a very common (and popular) .22 caliber K Frame revolver, and over-stamps are not at all uncommon with S&W. It was likely they simply turned some Model 18s into some Model 17s with a simple over-stamp of the last number.

In reference to your value, I cannot say exactly, but I think it is a very nice example of a shooter, that around here, it would sell quickly in the mid $600s and to the right person for a bit more, but that varies by region, as others have posted that it would go for a bit more in theirs. None of that matters if it is getting passed down to a family member.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Reference this part " The “7” appears to have been re-stamped over a number “6” ??? ":

Odds are more likely that it was actually stamped over an 8, as the Model 18 is a very common (and popular) .22 caliber K Frame revolver, and over-stamps are not at all uncommon with S&W. It was likely they simply turned some Model 18s into some Model 17s with a simple over-stamp of the last number.

In reference to your value, I cannot say exactly, but I think it is a very nice example of a shooter, that around here, it would sell quickly in the mid $600s and to the right person for a bit more, but that varies by region, as others have posted that it would go for a bit more in theirs. None of that matters if it is getting passed down to a family member.

Very likely, S&W made frames in batches, SN and Model number were stamped at that time, they used whatever was available.

S&W threw nothing away smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Savuti
Per SCS&W

1969 K848782 - K946391

It's a 17-3 indicating the third engineering change since adopting the model numbering system in 1957.
Prior to that they were known as the K-22 Masterpiece.

That's a $700- 800 gun all day long around here.

I agree.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thx a million for the educational replies

IC B3

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have had it’s twin for 45 years, a gun I’d never part with. With it’s family connections you should keep it. It’s a dandy.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 16penny, 54 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,310
Posts18,468,202
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.