Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
This is the latest edition of prototype testing to accomplish the purpose of the Magneto Speed bayonet removed from the barrel and utilized remotely so as to eliminate barrel harmonics interruption. My bayonet is the original version initially offered by MS & was customized by them at my request for this application. Using the adjustable base keeps all adjustments at arms reach from behind the gun without getting up & moving around the shooting bench or inadvertantly encroaching the firing line at a public range. I trimmed the bag jack to 6"x10" from its original 10"x10" offering simply to save space. The rubber pad on one side allows the true use of a bag laid atop. I inverted it, scraped off the rubber feet and used the smooth surface for the magnetic attachment. The magnets capture one another with no fasteners on the platform, they are quite strong. The aluminum T-track is cut to 12" for my use. It comes in 24" pieces originally. All fasteners used are 1/4". I apologize for the background clutter in the pictures.

Lyman Bag Jack - https://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanr-bag-jacktm
Lyman Bag Jack - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y2Y79HK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
Magnets - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QW4916R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Reloder28; 10/18/21.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Best and simplest solution, yet.

I took my version apart and reconfigured along these lines. I got some help from Reloder28, and thanks to him.

Mine is set up a bit different, I use Acraglas Gel to attach the magnets to the "T" bar. I altered the MS housing to screw to the 12" bar.

Loose magnets under the aluminum deck holds the unit in place. The beauty of not attaching the lower magnets, you can move the unit around and the bottom magnets follow.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My MS unit wasn't converted by them like Reloder's was, so I adapted it. I drilled thru the left side, countered with larger drill from the right, to clear screw heads. Because the left side wasn't true square, sorta tapered, I wedged it with a metal strip from a windshield wiper blade. I then aligned the bayonet with the bar.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 10/18/21.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Guess what happened with I jerked the unit off the jack....

The magnets smashed into the steel lift mechanism and shattered...

So, technique now is to pivot one end, drop magnet into the hand, then do the other end.

I was surprised how powerful these magnets are and how brittle.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Turning the jack over, rubber side down, metal side up is the way to go.

One review of the bag jack, "it's not steady enough". Well, maybe not for a rifle rest, great for shooting pistols and for this application.

I have a solid rifle rest, not using this jack as one.

Reloder shoots his big flame belching revolvers on this jack. It can do double service. I'd probably put the rubber side up for that, metal side up for this.

Notice the Amazon price is better than Lyman retail.

I cut the mounting bar 12" like he did. It could be a bit longer if one was wanting to max out space on a smaller bench. 12" works for him and for me. Just saying.

DF

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My original version worked, was harder to adjust than this one and took a very long bench to accommodate.

This version is for sure mo better, as in much...

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Good stuff guys. Thanks.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like the way Reloder trimmed down his bag jack.

I'm not that talented, probably gonna leave mine as is.

DF

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Well, it helps when you have a fabrication shop at your disposal.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Well, it helps when you have a fabrication shop at your disposal.

Well if I can’t do it with a hand drill and a hacksaw, it ain’t gonna happen.

DF

IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Pretty slick.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Pretty slick.

Yep

Reloder’s design. I just copied it best I could.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Man, that’s pretty good stuff fellas. I use that bag jack all the time. Never thought of modifying one for the MS.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by beretzs
Man, that’s pretty good stuff fellas. I use that bag jack all the time. Never thought of modifying one for the MS.

Necessity precedes creativity.

And, the sweet spot being the bag jack needs no permanent altering or modification. Simply added an alternate use.

Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

And, the sweet spot being the bag jack needs no permanent altering or modification. Simply added an alternate use.

Show your Kevlar shooting bag cover to keep that fire breathing .460 from burning holes in it.

shocked

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I saw that. Great stuff. I'll save this for use later on.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Be careful handling those magnets. They’re stronger than you think. Don’t get them around metal filings or small parts It takes considerable effort to pull them apart.

Not sure what they’d do to electronic devices, don’t want to find out. I’d think they’d be hard on pacemakers, etc.

FYI

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
cheaper alternate for jack

I found this on amazon while looking and it looks like it would serve the same purpose for much cheaper. I also had a question why you put the MS on the extension out in front of the jack stand vs just mounting it directly to the "L" or "T" bracket?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Or you could substitute capital for labor (especially if you don’t have ready access to a fabrication shop) and buy a LabRadar. But what fun would that be? 😃

Al

Spend your life wisely.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Partagas
cheaper alternate for jack

I found this on amazon while looking and it looks like it would serve the same purpose for much cheaper. I also had a question why you put the MS on the extension out in front of the jack stand vs just mounting it directly to the "L" or "T" bracket?

The 4"x4" jack may be a tad small, but most of those would probably work. If they're steel, the magnets should stick to the deck without having to use magnets under the aluminum deck.

The reason for mounting the MS out a bit is to have the base closer, to utilize a shorter shooting bench. That was one of the main short comings to my original set up. With my long tailgate bench, not a problem. But with conventional benches, a big problem.

DF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,551
Posts18,453,584
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.