Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I am looking for a new rifle for my wife, I am wondering if any of you all have had any good, bad, or other things to say about the Savage Lady hunter? Right now she's shooting my 7mm-08 Mountain rifle without to much issues, animals die when she pulls the trigger and that is good but she has had breast cancer and a double mastectomy and the pocket it created when they took her breast is making it harder to shoot the gun. I think the main problem is she is having a harder time getting her head down on the stock and maybe the higher comb of the Lady hunter will help with this. I am guessing so as it is designed for a woman and their build.

Last edited by steeleywhopper; 10/21/21.

He who shall, so shall he who
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or you could have her mountain rifle stock shortened by a smith.

As far as the Savage Lady Hunter- nothing but good things except I am not sure about felt recoil.

Is part of this goal maybe to reduce recoil by going to a 243?

Aside from that my wife had her cancer surgery early this year and still has temp implants and the chemo tube, She doesn't hunt but I would give anything to have her hunting with me so let me send my congratulations for being in such a happy place. I am even getting choked up writing this. I know you get it .

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by kenjs1

As far as the Savage Lady Hunter- nothing but good things except I am not sure about felt recoil.

Aside from that my wife had her cancer surgery early this year and still has temp implants and the chemo tube, She doesn't hunt but I would give anything to have her hunting with me so let me send my congratulations for being in such a happy place. I am even getting choked up writing this. I know you get it .

First of all Thank you for the kind words and I am thankful every day that she is here with us and doing the things she loves to do. I know how hard it was for my wife mentally to lose her breasts and I don't wish that on any woman. I 100% understand what you are talking about and I hope the best for your wife and family.

I did edit my post as recoil is not the isssue, it seems to be harder for her to get her head down on the stock as the butt of the gun rides lower in her arm pit due to the loss of breast. I had the great pleasure of taking her elk hunting this last weekend and she was trying to get lined up for a downhill shot on a rag horn bull and she could not get the gun to feel just right so she did not shoot. A second chance encounter on Sunday led to a shot where she could use the shooting sticks and it worked out as she made a great shot on a spike bull and put him down. After seeing her frustration on the first encounter I feel it's time to find a gun just for her.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
You sound like a great husband. Good luck on your search. Thanks for sharing.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Deb loves her Savage Lady Hunter in 7mm-08.

Shes shooting factory 120gr Barnes TTSX, to lessen the felt recoil over the standard 140gr.

She's a great grocery getter, too;

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I even used it on my best deer & a bull moose, after I dropped my .308, 1st day of the 2015 season.

Hope your Lady continues in good health, look after her, they are so worth it.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by steeleywhopper
Originally Posted by kenjs1

After seeing her frustration on the first encounter I feel it's time to find a gun just for her.

YES !!

smile

Paul.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I think the main problem is she is having a harder time getting her head down on the stock and maybe the higher comb of the Lady hunter will help with this.

John Barsness wrote a paragraph or 3 on the head to the stock issue. I can’t quote him but can paraphrase a bit. Perhaps he’ll drop in to give you something more detailed. Majority of women tend to be long of neck with sloped shoulders; as are many men, me included. This physiology makes it difficult to use the more straight combed stocks, as popular as they are. For me the butt stock of the Mark 5 Weatherby is just about right due to it’s drop at heel and fairly high comb. Dedicated women’s stocks like the Savage and Weatherby are even more pronounced in comb and drop at heel. And In stock fit, like some other measures, dimensions matter.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Granddaughter has one, she likes it.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My daughter a Vanguard Camilla and much prefers it to her M70 compact as far as fit goes.

Your plan for a new rifle sounds solid, the Camilla is another solid option.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Weatherby talk does make some sense to me. I helped a friend get one and after sighting it in for him thought that the guy who designed those stocks knew something about taming recoil etc.. The bolts are very nice as well. Had not seen the Camilla so checked it out and it looks like a winner.

I like the idea of getting your wife a new rifle- just to celebrate and say she is worth it which I am sure was on your mind.

My wife goes back today to see if she can FINALLY get that chemo tube removed and schedule the temp spacers - hopefully same time and not wait until January. They seemed to have forgot about her for months so I am glad this is getting a push. When multiple doctors are involved you have to stay on top of all of them or at least get them talking to one another otherwise it seems like they contradict one another to no end.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My wife has the 7mm-08 model. She shoots it very well, but would like to find a spacer to lengthen the pull as she has long arms. Felt recoil is a bitch when I try to shoot it, the stock fit sure ain’t for my build. Gun is well made and very accurate,

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've been looking at dedicated ladies' rifles. they are expensive!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My Lady has one in .243 …. She’s short and fits her perfect .

Gorgeous piece of walnut on it . Much shorter length of pull that on my American classic .250 Sav and Euro Classic .308 .

However , when I’ve got my heavy insulated hunting garb on and look like the Sta-Puff marshmallow man , it fits me perfect .

A bonus is that nowhere on the rifle does it state “ Lady Hunter “ . wink

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks for all the replies on the topic. I think we are going to have to go down and try the Weatherby and the Savage for fit and I had forgotten that Weatherby actually made a dedicated Women's rifle and that will at least let her try a couple on for size.
Kenjs1 hang in there buddy the frustration with the cancer doctors and the appointments can really beat you down, but stay strong for that gal of yours as she's fighting the mental and physical battle of her life. Give your wife a big hug and a kiss fellas as you never know when this kind of crap can strike and by golly it really makes me appreciate and love my wife even more!

M
M
Hope your wife's recovery is as smooth as possible and you all get a lot more time in the woods.
My wife got a barely used Layhunter in 6.5 Creedmoor in 2012 and has used it to take several antelope as well as to look for elk. In addition to the higher comb, the center of balance is further back, the angle of the butt is different and the grip is closer to the trigger. The length of pull is also reduced.
My wife likes her rifle much better than the youth model 308 it replaced. Not a fair or direct comparison, but felt recoil is less than the 308. It shoots factory 140s or 143 eldx into an inch at a hundred. 129s don't group as well, but I haven't spent time on load development.

PS- if you're near Yakima, your wife can try A's out for fit.

Last edited by mdmnm; 10/22/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bulkie_roll

However , when I’ve got my heavy insulated hunting garb on and look like the Sta-Puff marshmallow man , it fits me perfect .

Truth !!

Paul.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I was able to find a Lady Hunter locally that she was able to shoulder and test for fit and it is exactly what she needed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for that SteeleyWhopper. I think I been doing a good job of supporting and being strong for her. Showing a little frustration (read empathy) in her defense is a bit more of the same.

Be sure to show us what you all decide on getting.

. Confucius

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,759 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,856
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.