Print Thread
Hop To
S
SDHNTR Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
SN 304894. Anyone know what vintage this might be? And how much does an aftermarket recoil pad detract from value? Shooter grade, 90% ish, 30-06. Pretty clean. Some patina to the bluing. Appears to be original, as does stock finish. Missing rear sight.

BP-B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Google search "Winchester serial numbers". You can find the year your rifle was manufactured by the serial number.

It's probably a mid-1950s rifle.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Late July 1954

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
S
SDHNTR Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Any idea of a fair $ offer ?

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
$800 + or -.
My guess without seeing in person or pictures.

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The installation of a recoil pad instantly removes the rifle from mainstream collector interest. If so, the most relevant questions are what amount of loss from "collector" and as noted, the effect of being "shooter". In the most common chambering, 30-06, probably suffers less collector value loss in terms of chambering. If the sub model is "Standard" or "Featherweight", that also contributing to lesser loss compared to such as a factory target configuration.
The 'net' is not typically a great loss in the condition described if factually any at all. The great righteous popularity of these guns for what they are intrinsically as a sporting arm, sustains a great amount of the market value.
Under the circumstances, given the reported condition, I'd not assess any material loss beyond the value hit if the stock is trimmed short LOP, or the pad is old and requiring replacement, the latter factor, cost of replacement. The former a substantial usability hit, functionally equating to the cost of a normal LOP recoil pad stock. I'd either address the aft sight in respect of an inexpensive flip up open sight or a dovetail blank if to be scoped anyway.

If all that doesn't confuse you... I've not adequately described your situation! Factual value nowadays, I leave to other folks more conversant with contemporary values. The only general observation the marketplace 'of things', is taking an overall inflationary hit indirectly. As reflecting steep upward trend relating to less available "disposable" purchaser cash!
Econ 101! smile
Congrats on a nice rifle!
Best!
John

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
SN 304894. Anyone know what vintage this might be? And how much does an aftermarket recoil pad detract from value? Shooter grade, 90% ish, 30-06. Pretty clean. Some patina to the bluing. Appears to be original, as does stock finish. Missing rear sight.

So many questions that need to be addressed. This is much like threads asking how much is my model 70 worth, without pics to boot. First off, which stock? Low comb or montecarlo. What rear sight does it have, because yes, that makes a huge difference. Oh, according to the op it is "missing". That's a $120.00 ding in price tag. Missing front sight hood? Original front sight? What about sling swivels? The stock is not worth much, as it is if its been cut to add the recoil pad. Also, ,is if a std wt or fwt? Anything else been dicked with? Its always laughable when guy start spitting out $$$ figures when they have no clue as to what the rifle really is.. Just my very honest take on things..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
SDHNTR Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Fair enough. Thanks for the info.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Still a practical rifle, if the metal is good and and shoots well I’d say it’s still worth hunting with. Also it seems like they are bringing more money these days at least online.

Last edited by Model70Fan; 10/21/21.

American Rifles and Italian Shotguns
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Model70Fan
Still a practical rifle, if the metal is good and and shoots well I’d say it’s still worth hunting with. Also it seems like they are bringing more money these days at least online.

To a point, maybe with old farts like us.

The younger generation seems more into black rifles and tacticool stuff, not so much old steel and walnut rifles.

So, prices via demand may soften over time.

DF

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

To a point, maybe with old farts like us.

The younger generation seems more into black rifles and tacticool stuff, not so much old steel and walnut rifles.

So, prices via demand may soften over time.

DF

I completely agree with this assessment.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’m only 27 grin. But grew up watching old westerns and hunting with my pap who had always liked model 70s. Mostly the cheap ranger models but nonetheless they are smooth.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I sure hope they come back down. I always liked higher quality and the idea of having a pre 64 featherweight .270 win. I eventually got one but no longer have it (traded). I have since settled on a Kimber Montana 7mm-08. I like it so far and it will see it’s first season this year.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I sure hope they come back down. I always liked higher quality and the idea of having a pre 64 featherweight .270 win. I eventually got one but no longer have it (traded). I have since settled on a Kimber Montana 7mm-08. I like it so far and it will see it’s first season this year.

Kimber is a good one. I like the smaller CRF action.

I picked up a used Classic in .308 a few years back. It wouldn't group under 1 1/2". Bore scope showed an area of tool marks 2" from the muzzle. I could feel the constriction with a tight patch, could have cut the barrel ahead of that area, but don't want a noisy, short barrel .308. Kimber was't too interested in my problem, said it was within their specs; not mine, not a .308. It's amazing how well this gun now shoots with a 23" stainless Broughton 5C barrel, like sub half inch. The slightly heavier, longer barrel improved handling and balance. I had gotten the gun cheap enough that I don't think I'm upside down regarding value.

Kimber accuracy can be hit and miss. Hopefully yours shoots better than mine did.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 10/27/21.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I own Kimber and Winchester both, like how they feel and function etc. Not a huge fan of the shape of the Montana stock, liking my Hunter stock ergs much much better. I wish they could merge the two somewhat.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I’m only 27 grin. But grew up watching old westerns and hunting with my pap who had always liked model 70s. Mostly the cheap ranger models but nonetheless they are smooth.

You just an ole fart in a young man's body.... laugh

Not criticizing, recruiting maybe... cool

DF

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
640 members (007FJ, 257Bob, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,836 guests, and 1,427 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.