Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dodgefan
Originally Posted by 673
Interesting to note that the first French explorers (Champlain) noted the European features the Indians on the east coast of Canada had, in comparison to those of the interior. The Vikings were clearly here for sometime, then absorbed into the various Indian bands.
It is safe to say the same thing happened elsewhere in North America, likely the west coast of North America. Mariner's lost at sea or walking the land bridge into NA.

My Mom is around 60 percent of a West coast tribe, what I thought was interesting was there was 3 percent Mongol in her ancestry. If I did the math right the Mongols would of been on the West coast not all that long ago historically speaking.

A theory I thought plausible....some of the Indians are descended from those from that region (Mongolia) who were escaping Genghis Khan and crossed the land bridge.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
This maybe of interest basically vikings didn't have horned helmets. The swedish vikings sailed up the rivers and mostly settled in the Ukraine area. They were called the Rus an arabic term I believe. Thus it became Russia. They founded the Catholic Orthadox Church to unité the people. Many vikings came from other territoires to be merccenarys for the Byzantine King. They were known as the Vangerian guard being personal body guards to the king and were used as strike forces. In recent years viking artifacts have been excavated I own a bearded axe from the Ukraine. As time went on They asemulated into the slavic culture.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by Seafire
If you think that is cool, I gather you are not familiar with the Runestone found outside of Alexandria Minnesota, in 1898. That precludes Scandanavians in Newfoundland, as far inland as Minnesota. Here is a 8 min video on youtube about the Runestone Museum in Alexandria MN...

I've read things several times in the past also about Viking Ruins or Evidence of Presence in Oklahoma from the same time period.

and I trace our family roots as far back as those Vikings who came to England in 1066 with William the Conqueror, who were given plenty of land by William for their service
in what is now Ipswichshire.

This runestone is a great mystery. An article I googled said:

In 1911, Ohman (the discoverer) sold the stone to the Minnesota Historical Society for $10, Norwegian historian Hjalmar Holand claimed Ohman sold it to him. Long story short, Holand took the stone to Europe for analysis. Though there was keen debate over the stone’s authenticity, the majority agreed that the text on the front was written in 19th century Swedish, rather than 14th.

Still, there were others, such as a scientist at the Minnesota Historical Society that subjected the stone to the weathering tests of the time (not quite the most accurate system), and he determined that the writing was 500 years old. This announcement brought forth more believers in the authenticity of the stone – mostly among the Scandinavian community in the Midwest.

Twenty years later, more advanced tests were done on the area in which Ohman had found the stone – it had been submerged 500 years previously. No one was doing any writing on a stone at that spot in 1362.

The origin of the the Kensington Runestone is still a mystery, however. No one knows who made it and exactly why the hoax was perpetrated.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Indy in my opinion it has alot to do with the establishment historiens. They don't want to go against the narrative. Ohman had nothing to gain from faking it the stone brought him more grief than anything. Alot of history seems to be in question as more artefacts are found and technology improves. Also more documents surface.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting. Just started an audio book on the history or the vikings.

Fell asleep listening to it last night. Had wild dreams about Greenland and Vineland, vine berries, Erik the Red and Leif Erikson, screamers (their word for Indians and Inuits), walrus ivory, long boats... Woke up as the Swede's were headed into Russia.

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The origin of the the Kensington Runestone is still a mystery, however. No one knows who made it and exactly why the hoax was perpetrated.
Have you seen Lord of the Rings? It looks exactly like some of Tolkien's drawings.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Have you seen Lord of the Rings? It looks exactly like some of Tolkien's drawings.

Tolkien was a polyglot who spoke and read Old Norse amongst about a dozen other languages.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Tolkien didn't just speak several languages, he invented them for his books.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by auk1124
The discovery of L' Ans aux Meadows proved that the Vikings beat Columbus to the new world, but it was never certain when they got here.

It is still unknown how early they discovered North America, but an interesting new dendochronology study looked at tree rings of timber fragments found at the site, and looked for specific patterns of tree ring growth that resulted from solar radiation events with known dates.

Long story short, the new study of timber fragments from L' Ans aux Meadows establishes that the trees were cut down in 1021 A.D. - exactly 1,000 years ago.

45 years before William the Conqueror landed in England, Vikings were living in North America. Pretty cool.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03972-8

auk1124;
Good evening sir, I trust the day behaved itself for you and all who are in your life are well.

Thanks for the interesting update, I've been following this with interest for most of my life.

When I was in Canadian school in the late '60's and through the '70's, there still wasn't consensus that the ruins were Viking or if so how long they'd been there.

One of the articles I read a year or more back now said there's evidence to suggest they were there for several hundred years, if not permanently, then returning often during that time frame.

Another interesting tidbit is that the Vikings traded with the Dorset culture, not the Inuit/Thule culture who inhabit the Arctic now.

There's speculation as to what happened to the Dorset, but no consensus again other than they vanished about the time Columbus showed up far to the south.

Thanks again and all the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by dodgefan
Originally Posted by 673
Interesting to note that the first French explorers (Champlain) noted the European features the Indians on the east coast of Canada had, in comparison to those of the interior. The Vikings were clearly here for sometime, then absorbed into the various Indian bands.
It is safe to say the same thing happened elsewhere in North America, likely the west coast of North America. Mariner's lost at sea or walking the land bridge into NA.

My Mom is around 60 percent of a West coast tribe, what I thought was interesting was there was 3 percent Mongol in her ancestry. If I did the math right the Mongols would of been on the West coast not all that long ago historically speaking.

A theory I thought plausible....some of the Indians are descended from those from that region (Mongolia) who were escaping Genghis Khan and crossed the land bridge.

That was pretty much my first thought too. It could of been a bunch of the wandering types also. I could see a bunch of young dudes who just have to see what's over the next hill ending up in all kinds of places back in them days.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 240NMC, 70 invisible), 2,695 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,958
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.