Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
whats the skinny onn them. good boots, worth the coin? comfort etc

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

GB1

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I sure like mine! They are the model that was replaced by "Granite's" with 200gm. of insulation.
Last hunting season was the second season and all is still well. Had to get a wider size this winter
due to old age foot flattening. They're for sale if you are interested.

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
One size fits all?

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
i spoke with Cody at Shnees, gave him my typical boot size and what im looking for he reccomended the beartooth 0 gram in 15 EE

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I"ve got a pair of Beartooths. So far, so good. But I haven't really put them to the test yet, just some local hiking. I really like how they're more flexible than the other mountain boots I've tried.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have a pair I got when the outlet store closed. They have been good, going on 5+ years. A lot of miles and still holding up well.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Been eyeing these also for an insulated late-season boot. Lots of good reviews, I just hate buying boots without trying them on. A downside of living in the cold hard prairie lol.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
don't get the the slip on ones with the Velcro closure won't stay closed and Velcro eats your leg up, I didn't think were very warm even in fairly warm weather.I just wear mine to feed my dogs.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by sidepass
One size fits all?

Nope. Size 11 Medium width

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have a pair of Hunter II's for cold weather and they are just fine after several years. I had a pair of Guides (the LL Bean boot lookalike) and they were way too stiff and clunky for the intended purpose. I gave them to Goodwill. My elk hunting buddy had a pair of Beartooth's that just plain self destructed on their first hunt. Just fell to hell apart! Had to stop what he was doing and run all the way to town and find a pair of boots that fit to finish the hunt. Thank God for Walmart back then.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I have a pair of Hunter II's for cold weather and they are just fine after several years. I had a pair of Guides (the LL Bean boot lookalike) and they were way too stiff and clunky for the intended purpose. I gave them to Goodwill. My elk hunting buddy had a pair of Beartooth's that just plain self destructed on their first hunt. Just fell to hell apart! Had to stop what he was doing and run all the way to town and find a pair of boots that fit to finish the hunt. Thank God for Walmart back then.

did he contact Schnee about the beartooths falling apart. they get really good reviews

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a pair of Hunter (don't think they were called hunters when I got them) pacs that are 25 years old, they've been resoled twice and due for their third resoling. Unlike other pac boots, you can actually cover miles with these, I've put numerous 15+ mile days on with my pair. I got the tallest ones which negates needing gaiters. I cover all the stitching with Seam Seal and grease (I use their pitch blend dressing) them up good at the start of the season and I don't have any worries about getting my feet wet. I have one spare pair of liners that I can throw in if one set of liners gets damp from sweat.

Obviously pac boots are a cold weather boot; I've never tried any of their other boots, but their pac boots are definitely good to go!

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by mtwarden
I have a pair of Hunter (don't think they were called hunters when I got them) pacs that are 25 years old, they've been resoled twice and due for their third resoling. Unlike other pac boots, you can actually cover miles with these, I've put numerous 15+ mile days on with my pair. I got the tallest ones which negates needing gaiters. I cover all the stitching with Seam Seal and grease (I use their pitch blend dressing) them up good at the start of the season and I don't have any worries about getting my feet wet. I have one spare pair of liners that I can throw in if one set of liners gets damp from sweat.

Obviously pac boots are a cold weather boot; I've never tried any of their other boots, but their pac boots are definitely good to go!

how wide of a toebox do their Pac boots have?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
pretty wide; I need a roomy toe box in my boots and is the reason I have such a hard time finding suitable boots (had a pair of LaSportivas that fit the bill, now discontinued, but after trying on a lot of boots-the Crispi Thor works)

as their site will tell you, if you are in between sizes- go up, they are only sold in whole sizes; they sell wool insoles that go under the liner if you need to take up some volume

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I still have my first pair of Schnees from mid 90's. My outfitter boss bought them for me. They have been resoled twice, I just use them for camp boots. I humped some serious miles in em in the troublesome years ago. Extra liners are a must and I wore my ski patrol orthotics in em which gave me great comfort! I tell people back then Schnees started making size 15 for me after my boss gave them a call! Anyhoo, I have to say I was not happy with the rubber on the new resoles as they went to hell in a couple of weeks on me. I still have a pair of Packers and I recently purchased a pair of Hoffmans which I will test out this winter!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a pair of the 10" Hunters. They are pricey but worth every penny IMO. Plenty wide for my EEEE foot

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Gitem 12: Yes they are worth every penny.
By coincidence I just got back from "our" high country/back country (8,025' elevation!) Elk camp and of the four Hunters that packed in all four had Schnee's boots!
We hiked in but a horse wrangler brought our heavy gear in with pack horses.
I am so thankful I had my Schnee's along as the weather turned horrific!
48 straight hours of non-stop rain (something I have never witnessed in over half a century of Hunting in Montana!) THEN it snowed on top of the muddy ground - then it froze!
The Schnee's worked wonderfully well in the mud, in the snow, then in the crusted snow and ice.
My Schnee's are the 10" Hunter Model but one of our group has the 13" high model and I almost wish I had bought that model.
Warmth and comfort are excellent for me and traction was very good in the toughest of conditions.
Plus they are re-soleable (sp?) - pay heavy once - then repeatedly be happy you did so.
I suggest a trip to Bozeman, Montana to their flagship store and fit them to your feet the first time.
Best of luck with whichever you decide on.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Due to a freak heavy snow (20" plus at that elevation!) two weeks before the opener the Elk had moved out of the high country before the opening day this year, thus NO Elk but we had fun and were comfy in our Schnee's!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Currently on my 3rd pair of non-insulated 8” Beartooth boots. Mine have been lasting about 3 seasons before they are no longer waterproof, a season or 2 after that as dry weather upland boots.

My current pair are 3 seasons in and still waterproof, knock on wood, hoping to get through elk season with dry feet.
Comfy, lightweight, waterproof boots. I used to get heel blisters with heavy packs until I got them.
They did change the bear tooth a couple years back, mine are the old style, so no experience with the new version.

Will give them a shot though.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Worth whatever they cost now. They will keep your feet warm. I've only used mine a few times in the last ten years, but was glad I had them when I needed them. I bought the 13" but would probably go with 10" next time.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
They are popular with the Forest Service people I know

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

131 members (44mc, 7x57Hunter, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 13 invisible), 1,678 guests, and 747 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,688
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.