-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I’m getting ready to rebarrel a weatherby mk V varmintmaster (224WM) to one of the 6mm AR cartridges. 6x6.8SPC probably. Possibly 6 Hagar.

The 224 rim (spec) is .428. The 30 Remington/SPC is .422 or 420 dep on where you look.

If I go with one of the Grendel group, (@.440 head) I’ll need to open the bolt face.
But am thinking that amount of difference for the SPC based cartridges shouldn’t be a problem. Would be nice not to mess with the bolt face & use the spc based caliber.
Extractor & ejector should work fine.
Any of you smiths have any thoughts on how critical the bolt face dimensions would be in this case?
Case head support should be a non issue.
Thx

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I recently acquired a 224 wby, interesting gun/cartridge. I wonder in your planned conversion, whether the new cartridge would feed properly from the magazine.
I have had some conversions done, 223 to 20 vartarg and 221 fb. Neither ejected properly nor would they feed from the magazine.
The extractor did extract the fired cartridge from the chamber, but dropped it before ejecting it from the action.

NRA Patron
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by dale06
I recently acquired a 224 wby, interesting gun/cartridge. I wonder in your planned conversion, whether the new cartridge would feed properly from the magazine.
I have had some conversions done, 223 to 20 vartarg and 221 fb. Neither ejected properly nor would they feed from the magazine.
The extractor did extract the fired cartridge from the chamber, but dropped it before ejecting it from the action.

Hmm. Ejection issues in your case wouldn’t be due to bolt face gap. Since they’re the same as the former cartridge. (.378) Might depend on the type action you used. Have done conversions going up from std to mag bolt face & modifying the mag rails to facilitate feeding. Have also done some 223 to 6x47 in sako rifles with no problems.
I thought about just making a 6mm tomcat. (6/224 WM) but brass is expensive & I don’t think the case design is inherently accurate. Have seen some that shot well, others not so good.
They also made this action in 22-250. Proper feeding is about having the rails right for pickup by the bolt and release into the chamber.
The short length of your FB conversion could be a factor..
I may wind up going to one of the grendel based calibers, or even a 6x47 lapua.
But I see some folks building bolt actions in 6.8 base in savage, howa, etc. actions.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We're it mine, I'd leave the bolt face alone and rebate the rims on whatever case you go with. A simple piece of flat steel, profiled to the WBY case head, will work for a cutter. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
We're it mine, I'd leave the bolt face alone and rebate the rims on whatever case you go with. A simple piece of flat steel, profiled to the WBY case head, will work for a cutter. -Al

The 6.8spc case head is @.007” smaller than the .224 Weatherby.
And turning rims is a pain.
Not difficult to open up a bolt a little, but may need to mod the extractor a bit, if I have to go that route.

Greg
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OK....thought you were leaning more toward the Grendel case (would be my preference). Maybe the SPC case head would work as is?

Be nice to keep the bolt face unaltered. Those 224 WBy's are pretty cool guns. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
That’s what I was thinking. Someone may want to barrel it back to 224 someday after I’m gone to the big gun shop in the sky..

Greg

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 57 invisible), 3,268 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,297
Posts18,468,035
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.