Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If you can hold out for a couple of more years, it won't be a problem. Global warming will solve everything for you. Might need to insulate and get an A/C unit. Oh, and a pumping system to get rid of the seawater that will be rushing in.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Used to have a GM dealership here in the small town I live that used this same wood burner setup to heat their large service area. The building was solid concrete block construction. They also picked up some free BTUs with used engine oil from oil changes by burning it via a slow drip setup.

Originally Posted by huntsman22
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

My Uncle has the same setup in his shop and He has a 24" household box fan hanging on a wire above it. That thing will swivel on its own left to right distributing heat. It's weird how it does that but it does.

Me, I'd like to burn wood but my garage is attached to the house. Wood is a big no no for insurance companies when attached.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Insulate/vapor barrier first.

The exterior wood burner idea could work well - a friend does his sauna that way. It feeds and draws from the outside, with much of the special purpose stove inside, but that is only a 10x12 , 8" square cedar log structure. You would likely have to run some sort of glycol heat distribution inside, with a wood heated boiler. My BIL in Wisconsin built one such for their basement, which was always cold.

Another option you might consider is pouring a slab with glycol-filled heat tubes in it, like my garage has, tho I use a natural gas boiler system. May be a little tricky using wood heat, but you could feed it during the day and the slab would retain heat all night. It won't freeze up.

I keep my thermostat turned all the way down, so it is usually 53-60 in there, depending on outside temps. It does take a couple hours to reach a higher temp if I crank it up a mite. Usually I don't - coveralls, maybe with a hoody or sweater underneath, is easier and quicker than waiting for the temp to get above 65. In the summer, I turn the boiler off, and the garage maintains about the same temp - On a warm day, I can just open the bay doors to warm it up a bit. smile

The biggest problem I have is humidity in the winter from melting snow and ice, plus my wife keeps all her stupid flowers in thef loft area and waters the hell out of them every week or two. A $1500 commercial dehumidifier from Home Depot , with a drain tube running into the utility tub below pretty well handles that.

If floor space is a problem, either the slab heat or an overhead heating system may be the best options. Whatever - if heating the inside, You definitely wanter a vapor barrier, unless just stud-wall and outside paneling. Even then, you will get condensation/frost on the inside of the outside paneling in cold weather.

You did not say - will it be full-time heated or part time? Are the interior walls bare 2X construction, or does it have paneling, which will complicate insulating the place. I would also recommend using high density batt insulation, or, if the interior walls are paneled, with a vapor barrier behind, you could use blow-in stuff, filled from holes in the top. Do not neglect the roof/ceiling!

If inside paneled, it might be worth it to take that down, insulate and vapor barrier, and reinstall. especially if the builder was intelligent enough to use screws and not nails, much less a nail gun.... Paneling- especially sheetrock, tends to get damaged to one extent or another upon removal if put up with nails. Screws, even in sheetrock can be located and removed, and the sheetrock- if carefully done- reused. New is running about $25 for a 4X8 1/2 sheet here. I just bought 4 sheets. OSB is several times that, last I checked some time back. OSB or plywood interior paneling is real nice for hanging stuff on and securing shelving - it's not that stud dependent, but likely won't meet code unless it has sheetrock over it.

Have fun....... I hope this helps.

Or, you can plug the vehicles in and wear insulated coveralls out there. :

I hate retro-fits? I'm working on an unfinished, wood heated recreation cabin right now, a few days a month, as third owner, purchased last January.. It was started 20 years ago - my wife and I finished the vapor barrier a couple months back, and just that, over the already installed batt insulation made a big difference. The first order of business after purchase was to move the location of the death-trap stairs to the upper bedroom story and rebuild it to safe. Of course, you can't get there from here, so a couple non-load bearing stud walls had to come out, wiring re-routed, vb finished, & sheet rock put up and finished (still working on it in the stairs area - still have most of the rest of the cabin to do). A hole for the new stairs cut out of the 1st living-floor ceiling is pending , after the walls and ceiling in that area is finished. Just a little "remodel, is all! Thank you, Lord there isn't any indoor plumbing! I figure I can actually start building the stairs in a month. Or two. Maybe three. It's a rec cabin, after-all.

Judging by the barrel of empty beer cans and a couple cases of full ones that came with the cabin, the previous owner(s) should have done less recreating and more cabining. smile

Last edited by las; 10/22/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Stay in Georgia over the winter?

Lots of good ideas here though, some I may have to consider. But mostly I don't go out there when it's much below freezing except for a few minutes at a time.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Something like this will do a great job if you insulate the building and have enough power in the building to power it. You would need a 30 amp 240V supply to this heater and it will bring your shop up to heat in just a few minutes... hang if from the ceiling in a corner away from any flammables

https://www.amazon.com/Dimplex-EUH0...it+heater&qid=1634925246&sr=8-26

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Spray-foam insulate then pick your poison.

Last edited by horse1; 10/22/21.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Toyo stove and a 200 gal fuel oil tank, used to heat my house in Alaska with one

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have used natural gas fired heaters mounted close to the ceiling in our garages in Alaska, Colorado, and Tennessee. Our current workshop and garage in Tennessee both have one as well. Workshop is 1000 sq feet with 10 feet ceilings. A flick of the thermostat can change the interior temp from 45 to 60 in 15-20 minutes. But all the garages an workshop were well insulated.
If you want to skip the insulation step then go with a good wood stove.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Years ago a cousin of mine rigged up a simple but unconventional wood burning heater setup to help heat his all electric home and it worked. What he did was build a small concrete building up close to his house. and install a basic wood burner inside it. The building had just enough room inside for the wood burner and a few feet extra to walk around it and to store a little fire wood. He added a insulated duct with powered fan at the top and ran over to and through a wall in his house. The heat from the wood burner built up inside the little block building was blown into his house via the duct.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
The first thing I’d do is insulate the building.

Then I’d install a gas powered furnace that mounts to the ceiling. Set the thermostat and enjoy a winterized garage.

Exactly what I did and have been very pleased with the results.

Like already mentioned, the Modine gas heater has been great for my shop. Even though I have access to an infinite supply of firewood, I went gas.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

yeah baby the sotz double drum
250000 btu

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Infrared that uses outdoor air for combustion, or a hydronic fan coil system that's either fired by an outside wood burner or an instantaneous tankless water heater.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your fear of fumes igniting can be reaolved. *IF*you have reached the LEL where the fire can be the ignition source....the place likely went up un a mushroom cloud when you turned on the light or walked across the room.

My family has owned a wood stove in an auto repair shop for at least 50 years and never seen an issue. The heat that can be produced by the wood is un comparable to anything else. My shop was uninsulated and 16' walls 48x60 and one little stove could heat the whole thing incredibly well.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Might as well put up a windmill, or solar panels ,cause petroleum will be to expensive under Brandon ,and he'll probably ban the use of wood cause of global warming

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 21 invisible), 1,758 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.