Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've used West System to bed a bunch of rifles. It all started when faced with a project and needing a fresh batch of Brown-"give me all your money"-ell's goop and the drums of West System in the corner of the shop caught my eye. Not a lick of worry/issues with the stuff - but, as a disclaimer I never bedded anything nastier than .30-06's with it as magnums don't have, and never will have, a useful place in my life.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 07/30/21.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Acrsglas and Acraglas Gel....both good stuff! Have used it for 20 + years like many on this thread.

There is certainly nothing wrong with its stability. The stuff dries solid as a rock. The Gel version is really easy to work with. What’s not to like? Just follow the directions and it’s fool proof.

Sounds like the original poster’s gunsmith knows a thing or two about bedding rifles.

Leftybolt

Last edited by Leftybolt; 07/31/21.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Old school still works.

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pullit
I have used Acraglas, Acraglas Gel, Devcon Steel, Devcon Alum., and Marine-Tex.
I did not like how runny the Acraglas was, and Devcon lost their mind on cost so I now use Marine-Tex and Acraglas gel. for most of what I do.

My feelings and experience exactly!!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Acraglas Gel is my go to. I Steel Bed the lug on big boomers.

DF

IC B2

V
V
HI All,
I am new to this site, my first post I live down under
Buying acraglas in Australia is frightfully expensive I I have made up my own using every day epoxy resin, fumed silica powder called Carbosil and Powdered stainless steel, it cures as hard as could be expected so far so good. My steel bench has 1/4 plate and I had a dallop left over and it had cured on the bench, it resisted a savage blow from a hammer. I had expected it to disintergrate and break the bond on the Bench it did not. I do not used the stainless steel when filling up a barrel channel just use it around the recoil lug
I usually throw in a little brown dye to get it away from the silver colour
cheers Vaughn G

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I forge and make a lot of knives. When i need a solid connection, i use acraglas and have had great results. I began using it for this application because i had good luck with it when bedding firearms.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Acraglass is good. I’ve used in many years ago, but it’s nothing more than thickened epoxy and way overpriced. Any good industrial epoxy will do the same. Avoid fast setup stuff.
The closest thing to AG I’ve seen is epoxy adhesive from FGCI in St Pete. Seems identical. At a tiny fraction of the price. Wouldn’t be surprised if Bnells bought it in bulk & repackaged it.
As for strengtheners, metals don’t work nearly as well as fiberglass floc or better yet, long carbon fibers. Silica or microspheres etc, weaken it. Good for fairing or filling a void in a Kevlar stock before painting as it easy to sand with those in it. FGCI also has a good variety of epoxy pigments you can mix to match your stock color.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like Acraglas Gel, but have used regular Acraglas, J-B Weld, and Marine Tex.

I have fixed several broken stocks with Acraglas and Acraglas Gel, very useful stuff.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
If your need is for a semi-flexible bedding compound where stability isn't the primary goal, either AcraGlas or AcraGlas Gel is your ticket.

WTH are you talking about, Al... While AG does take a couple days to fully set up, once that's done it ain't goin' nowhere..

grin

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
IMO, there is no one best, at least not in the sense of one type fits all.

The nice thing about the "runny" original Acraglas is that it sets up in thin layers, something not true of all epoxies. Great for surface or paint coats over the main bedding.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
If you want the very finest, strength, longevity, impervious to oils and solvents, vibration, shock loading etc...get your hands on "Chockfast" 604. Machinists and marine engineers etc have used it almost exclusively for years for the final bedding of marine engines, reduction gear boxes, pumps, compressors, shaft pillow blocks. It's a 3 component system. I don't know how small of quantity they sell, I used it in pails...a bit much for the hobbyist. I once had a hydraulic winch spline drive (225 hp) strip out, I cobbled the stripped adapter with 604 and with care it made it through the voyage.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I use that mostly and no complains

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had good luck with Acraglass Gel on quite a few rifles, however I did use a kit from Score High that had an epoxy that I like even better. It was much more like a soft putty and make working with it much easier.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
The prime purpose for me is to accurize a rifle

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
All I’ve ever used is Acraglass and fiberglass flock I’m not changing

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

As per Al Nyhus's post about flexibilty, Accraglas was developed when wood stocks were still common, and the that flexibility is important. But, all composite/tupperware stocks expand and contract with temperature, and having a bedding compound that accommodates that is probably a good thing too.

There's lots of good bedding compounds/epoxy out there, I have a Remmy tupperware stock that I Accraglas bedded 28 years ago, and just changed out the stock last year, the bedding is fine--and tupperware stocks are the hardest to get anything to stick to.

I have used more Acragel than any other bedding though.

Al,
I've always wanted to know how a guy gets a glued in stock off the barreled action--judicious use of a chainsaw?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Paul39
IMO, there is no one best, at least not in the sense of one type fits all.

The nice thing about the "runny" original Acraglas is that it sets up in thin layers, something not true of all epoxies. Great for surface or paint coats over the main bedding.

I keep Accraglas around just for that purpose.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Just checked, Brownells has been out of Acraglas and Acragel since early summer, still are.

Another supply chain victim, I suppose.......

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (1OntarioJim, 22kHornet, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 26 invisible), 1,552 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,177
Posts18,465,483
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.