Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by KevinLA
How many shots he took? Gotta realize it is real bullet after shot the first person

I keep hearing it was one round. A 45 Colt (assuming here) could easily punch through the lady, and hit the dude behind her.

That’s exactly happened. She was on the camera lining it up and the director was leaning over her back.

That's not what happened, they weren't filming.

Yeah, it was.

Ok, the film crew left 6 hours earlier.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainme...-baldwin-rust-camera-crew-walked-off-set

Last edited by Bwana_1; 10/22/21.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Daily Beast has it that the whole production was a clusterF, says two negligent discharges the day before, people quitting the set over abysmal conditions, a low budget production.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/alec-...-halyna-hutchins-tragic-death?ref=scroll

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by KevinLA
How many shots he took? Gotta realize it is real bullet after shot the first person

I keep hearing it was one round. A 45 Colt (assuming here) could easily punch through the lady, and hit the dude behind her.

That’s exactly happened. She was on the camera lining it up and the director was leaning over her back.

That's not what happened, they weren't filming.

Yeah, it was.

Ok, the film crew left 6 hours earlier.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainme...-baldwin-rust-camera-crew-walked-off-set

So, the people in charge were seeing how the shot would work before they actually shot it. Here is a little secret too. They often film rehearsals, particularly if it involves something that requires physical movement.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
The Daily Beast has it that the whole production was a clusterF, says two negligent discharges the day before, people quitting the set over abysmal conditions, a low budget production.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/alec-...-halyna-hutchins-tragic-death?ref=scroll

Joebob says no, he must have been there.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Given Hollywood’s adversity to firearms albeit they continue to make shoot ‘em up, kill movies. The irony is that supposedly their was an armorer on set to prep firearms to be used. My thought, which I am confident is fairly universal on this sight, would be “trust, but verify”.
Alex Baldwin is a leftist numbskull. He is a terrible person, father, husband et al. He should be charged with negligence. There is no excuse for this nonsense. But, doubt there will be repercussions. This will be but another tool the left employs to nullify the 2nd amendment. My rant. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
It’ll be interesting to see what exactly happened here, and how it gets spun for public consumption.
Hopefully we’ll get more information.
Brandon Lee, IIRC, was killed by a squib load that left a projectile in the barrel that was driven out by a blank on the set.
There was another young actor back in the 80s I believe, who offed himself playing Russian Roulette with a blank loaded revolver.
Most Hollywood types know next to nothing when it comes to guns.
If Baldwin was playing around, I hope they fry the bastard. I can’t imagine what else might have happened.
7mm

I though hollywood guns were supposed to be non functional for live rounds...but why would someone have been firing rounds through a set gun anyhow? And to not check after a sqib? That seems outlandish even before you consier them issuing the same prop for a scene like the one in the crow...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter
I wouldn't even point a gun I KNEW was empty at anyone or pull the trigger. Know two young people who were killed by empty guns in the last yr.

When I was 22 years old my buddy was over and my dad had left his 44 mag sitting on the table while he went and did something. I heard my buddy say "Hey Paul" I turned and the 44 was pointing directly in my face and he said "Go ahead punk make my day".

I was pissed! I told him to put the gun down and if he ever pointed a gun at me again he'd better plan on killing me because if he didn't I was going to kill him.

I didn't know it but my dad had seen and heard the whole thing, a couple of days later he asked me If I'd really kill him, I said probably not but I'd definitely beat him with a baseball bat.

Dad thought that was pretty funny.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I wouldn't even point a gun I KNEW was empty at anyone or pull the trigger. Know two young people who were killed by empty guns in the last yr.

When I was 22 years old my buddy was over and my dad had left his 44 mag sitting on the table while he went and did something. I heard my buddy say "Hey Paul" I turned and the 44 was pointing directly in my face and he said "Go ahead punk make my day".

I was pissed! I told him to put the gun down and if he ever pointed a gun at me again he'd better plan on killing me because if he didn't I was going to kill him.

I didn't know it but my dad had seen and heard the whole thing, a couple of days later he asked me If I'd really kill him, I said probably not but I'd definitely beat him with a baseball bat.

I almost got shot in the forehead with my Sheridan pellet gun, sat it down and my buddy's little brother picked it up and pointed at me and shot i ducked and the pellet went through my cap.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Hollywood has gone to hell.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I almost got shot in the forehead with my Sheridan pellet gun, sat it down and my buddy's little brother picked it up and pointed at me and shot i ducked and the pellet went through my cap.

i still got pencil lead in my hand from a kid stabbing me with a pencil in grade school.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The Daily Beast writer is extremely ignorant of firearms and terms related to them. She writes several times, "misfire," yet hasn't a clue that "misfire" means the cartridge DID NOT FIRE.. Well whatever kind of round was in Baldwin's gun, it was not a "misfire." The cartridge fired and a woman died and a man was wounded.

I imagine Baldwin wishes desperately that the cartridge had actually "misfired."

FWIW.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
3 previous "misfires". It's no wonder the hired crew packed up and left citing unsafe working conditions.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

i still got pencil lead in my hand from a kid stabbing me with a pencil in grade school.

It would have killed me dumbass. went through a wall and into another, would shoot almost through a 2x4., my brother spent 4 hrs in surgery when he was shot in the leg/thigh with a 177 cal pellet gun, went to the bone.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

More information coming out. Sounds like the entire production was a cluster fug just waiting to happen. And then it happened. From The Los Angeles Times.

L.W.

Some updates in this L.A. Times story.

Hours before actor Alec Baldwin fatally shot a cinematographer on the New Mexico set of “Rust” with a prop gun, a half-dozen camera crew workers walked off the set to protest working conditions.

The camera operators and their assistants were frustrated by the conditions surrounding the low-budget film, including complaints about long hours, long commutes and collecting their paychecks, according to three people familiar with the matter who were not authorized to comment.

Safety protocols standard in the industry, including gun inspections, were not strictly followed on the “Rust” set near Santa Fe, the sources said. They said at least one of the camera operators complained last weekend to a production manager about gun safety on the set.

Three crew members who were present at the Bonanza Creek Ranch set that day said they were particularly concerned about two accidental prop gun discharges on Saturday.

Baldwin’s stunt double accidentally fired two rounds Saturday after being told that the gun was “cold” — lingo for a weapon that doesn’t have any ammunition, including blanks, two crew members who witnessed the episode told the Los Angeles Times.

“There should have been an investigation into what happened,” said the crew member. “There were no safety meetings. There was no assurance that it wouldn’t happen again. All they wanted to do was rush, rush, rush.”

A colleague was so alarmed by the prop gun misfires he sent a text message to the unit production manager. “We’ve now had 3 accidental discharges. This is super unsafe,” according to a copy of the message reviewed by The Times.

“The safety of our cast and crew is the top priority of Rust Productions and everyone associated with the company, " Rust Movie Productions said in a statement. “Though we were not made aware of any official complaints concerning weapon or prop safety on set, we will be conducting an internal review of our procedures while production is shut down. We will continue to cooperate with the Santa Fe authorities in their investigation and offer mental health services to the cast and crew during this tragic time.”

The tragedy occurred Thursday afternoon during filming of a gunfight that began in a church that is part of the old Western town at the ranch. Baldwin’s character was supposed to back out of the church, according to production notes obtained by The Times. It was the 12th day of a 21-day shoot.

Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was huddled around a monitor lining up her next camera shot when she was accidentally killed by Baldwin.

The actor was preparing to film a scene in which he pulls a gun out of a holster, according to a source close to the production. Crew members had already shouted “cold gun” on the New Mexico set. The filmmaking team was lining up its camera angles and had yet to retreat to the video village, an on-set area where the crew gathers to watch filming from a distance via a monitor.

Instead, the B-camera operator was on a dolly with a monitor, checking out the potential shots. Hutchins was also looking at the monitor from over the operator’s shoulder, as was the movie’s director, Joel Souza, who was crouching just behind her.

Baldwin removed the gun from its holster once without incident, but the second time he repeated the action, ammunition flew toward the trio around the monitor. The projectile whizzed by the camera operator but penetrated Hutchins near her shoulder, then continued through to Souza. Hutchins immediately fell to the ground as crew members applied pressure to her wound in an attempt to stop the bleeding.

Earlier in the day, the camera crew showed up for work as expected at 6:30 a.m. and began gathering up their gear and personal belongings to leave, one knowledgeable crew member told The Times.

Labor trouble had been brewing for days on the dusty set at the Bonanza Creek Ranch near Santa Fe.

Shooting began on Oct. 6 and members of the low-budget film said they had been promised the production would pay for their hotel rooms in Santa Fe.

But after filming began, the crews were told they instead would be required to make the 50-mile drive from Albuquerque each day, rather than stay overnight in nearby Santa Fe. That rankled crew members who worried that they might have an accident after spending 12 to 13 hours on the set.

Hutchins had been advocating for safer conditions for her team, said one crew member who was on the set and was tearful when the camera crew left.

“She said, ‘I feel like I’m losing my best friends,’” recalled one of the workers.

As the camera crew — members of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees — spent about an hour assembling their gear at the Bonanza Creek Ranch, several nonunion crew members showed up to replace them, two of the knowledgeable people said.

One of the producers ordered the union members to leave the set and threatened to call security to remove them if they didn’t leave voluntarily.

“Corners were being cut — and they brought in nonunion people so they could continue shooting,” the knowledgeable person said.

The shooting occurred about six hours after the union camera crew left.

The Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office said deputies were dispatched to the Bonanza Creek Ranch movie set, where filming was underway for the western “Rust,” after calls to 911 at 1:50 p.m. Thursday. Baldwin was starring in the movie in addition to serving as one of the producers.

No charges have been filed, but the Sheriff’s Office said that “witnesses continue to be interviewed by detectives.”

Baldwin said Friday he’s “fully cooperating with the police investigation” into the incident.

“There are no words to convey my shock and sadness regarding the tragic accident that took the life of Halyna Hutchins, a wife, mother and deeply admired colleague of ours,” Baldwin wrote Friday in a series of tweets.

Production has been halted on the low-budget movie.

In an email to its members, Local 44 of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, a union that represents prop masters, said the shot that killed Hutchins and injured director Joel Souza on Thursday was “a live single round.”

“As many of us have already heard, there was an accidental weapons discharge on a production titled Rust being filmed in New Mexico,” said the North Hollywood-based local. “A live single round was accidentally fired on set by the principal actor, hitting both the Director of Photography, Local 600 member Halyna Hutchins, and Director Joel Souza. Both were rushed to the hospital,” the email said.

A source close to union said Local 44 does not know what projectile was in the gun and clarified that “live” is an industry term that refers to a gun being loaded with some material such as a blank ready for filming.

Bonanza Creek Ranch has been a popular filming location for more than 60 years. The first movie to film there was “The Man From Laramie,” starring Jimmy Stewart. It also was the set for the classic “Blazing Saddles,” “The Ballad of Buster Scruggs” and the popular TV show “Longmire.”

One of the financiers for “Rust” is Santa Monica-based lender BondIt Media Capital, founded in 2013 by Matthew Helderman and Luke Taylor. According to its website, BondIt finances movies through instruments including gap loans, bridge loans and tax credit financing.

The company has primarily financed low-budget movies including the Bruce Willis actioner “Hard Kill,” the Charlotte Kirk horror flick “The Reckoning” and the upcoming Robert De Niro film “Wash Me in the River,” directed by Randall Emmett.

BondIt was particularly active during the COVID-19 pandemic, stepping in to fill financing gaps as independent producers struggled to find backing for films during the public health crisis.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

It would have killed me dumbass. went through a wall and into another, would shoot almost through a 2x4., my brother spent 4 hrs in surgery when he was shot in the leg/thigh with a 177 cal pellet gun, went to the bone.

whoa buddy, im on your side.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
As the camera crew — members of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees — spent about an hour assembling their gear at the Bonanza Creek Ranch, several nonunion crew members showed up to replace them, two of the knowledgeable people said.

One of the producers ordered the union members to leave the set and threatened to call security to remove them if they didn’t leave voluntarily.

“Corners were being cut — and they brought in nonunion people so they could continue shooting,” the knowledgeable person said.

The shooting occurred about six hours after the union camera crew left.

So maybe the Union was mad enough to put a live round in before they left?

Please don't feed the trolls!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Would've been better if it was in Alec's mouth

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I guess he figured they needed 2 shots?

Don’t sweat the petty stuff, don’t pet the sweaty stuff.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The assistant director who handed him the revolver got his start on what movie? Wait for it. Wait for it. That’s right, The Crow.

Okay, edit. I read it again. He worked on The Crow: Salvation which was the sequel to The Crow.

Last edited by JoeBob; 10/22/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

whoa buddy, im on your side.
Sorry misunderstood intent of your comment

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,930 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,487
Posts18,452,019
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.