Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Any experience with Hornady 150gr SP interlock on elk out of 308 or 06? I've only shot deer with this bullet with great success and my 308Win Mnt rifle shoots these extremely well. Love to here of any experiences on elk if you've got any.

Rick
BP-B2

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
At 308 speeds, they will work just fine. Put them where they are supposed to go and dead elk. I think them a bit to expansive at 30-06 speeds for heavy bone. The 180 Interlock is better in the -06. The 2750-2800 FPS muzzle velocity in the link between me thinks. Probably what your 308 is pushing the 150's.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Choose your shots, stay away from bone and give some thought to heavily quartering away shots. I see your from WA. Are you hunting Roosevelts on the wet side or RM’s on the dry side? Hair burning range is the true test of a bullet.

Given current circumstances when it comes to components and ammo, we have to run what we brung, and although the Interlock is not my first choice, it sure wouldn’t stop me from elk hunting.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't offer the "experience" the OP requested as I've not used this particular bullet on elk. I'll offer my opinion so take it for what it's worth. I'm a fan of the 150 gr IL out of my 308. Took a black bear last spring and a decent mule deer a couple weeks ago with 'em. In my opinion they are softer than I like for elk. I'm sure they will work just fine if you stay off of big bones but I think its worth a few extra dollars to go with a mono, bonded, or partition. The 150 partitions shoot to the same point of aim in my rifle.

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Haven't used the 150'a on elk, but the 165's work just fine.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Casey, I'm hunting on the east side of WA for RM elk. I hear you on the lack of components but in all honesty I've got plenty of other options for this rifle and other rifles all together. This little mnt rifle just shoots this bullet so well that it had me wondering. I really wanted to shoot 165 partitions out of this rifle for elk but it just does not like them or any other 165 I have tried.

Rick
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ive shot elk with them out of a .300 Win. Sure made for alot of bloodshot meat, due to the velocity. A pard shoots them in a .308 and on elk, they work splendidly at the lower velocity.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve never used them on elk but they’re my favorite 300 Savage bullet. I’ve had great results on deer, bears, and pigs. I wouldn’t be afraid of using them on elk.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks for the replies gents. I’m going to give them a shot this year.

Rick
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Oh, I also forgot I used them quite a bit in a .30-06 downloaded to .308 velocity, on Aoudad, Axis, and hogs. Worked great.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
30/06
52g of IMR 4064 is a great performer in most '06's, with the 150g Hornady.....my personal preference is the flat base that thinks it is a partition.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rc82bttb
Any experience with Hornady 150gr SP interlock on elk out of 308 or 06? I've only shot deer with this bullet with great success and my 308Win Mnt rifle shoots these extremely well. Love to here of any experiences on elk if you've got any.

Never an elk, but 150 grain Rem PSPCL and Hornady 150 grain Hornady IL SP's have been the family standards at our deer camp for of 30-06 and .308 for about 20 years. I've been shooting 165 grain Hornady IL SP's during that time out of my 30-06, but I got a lifetime supply of 150 grainers a few years ago free with the purchase of a Hornady LNL Auto-Progressive. In order to conserve the 165 grainers, I'm switching this year to the 150 grainers. I expect decent results.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I used my .308 W for everything when it was my only center fire rifle but usually with 165 gr bullets. That said, I would use the 150 Interlocks until I could work up a load with a better bullet, like maybe a 150 gr TTSX or similar mono metal for elk. A Federal Trophy Bonded Tip or Scirocco would be good as well in my opinion.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not a gun writer but, you’re talking about one of America’s favorite .30 bullets…for deer. If I was thinking about using them for Elk, I’d use your exact setup. In my opinion, you’re within the Goldilocks zone of performance (velocity vs impact range) for broadside-ish shots to just about 300 yards. I’d personally have total faith in these tough 150gr bullets, inside of 250-300 yards depending on angle. Your confidence in the bullet is important too. Remember many elk are killed with the wicked little 6mm rounds every year. You’ll be fine!

Show us the pics when you get back!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'd assume they work if not driven too fast. My 6.8SPCII has taken an elk at close range using an Nosler Accubond. If that little thing can get it done I'm wagering the 30 cal would be mo better.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I used to love interlocks and used a lot of them and loaded many more for friends. I had a friend complain that they were blowing up on deer like varmint bullets. He said the old ones I'd loaded were great but the new ones were blowing up.

I still had some of the bullets from the old lots and the new lot so we sanded half off of some from each lot an a belt sander. The older lots had much heavier jackets with a thicker interlock ring much higher up in the bullet. I called Hornady and they said their techs often made adjustments like that from lot to lot.

I started buying more nosler 2nds partitions after that. A few years back sps had partitions for $12-$15/50 so it wasn't much more than interlocks anyways. I've never had a friend complain after I loaded partitions for him.

I still like and shoot a lot of Hornady bullets but their interlocks changing all the time made me a little nervous. I've also gone mostly to high bc heavier long range type bullets for a lot of my hunting. Now when a friend asks for a good hunting load and says he's not shooting longer ranges I just load him some partitions.

For years I always used to use the interlocks for that and have probably killed a dozen deer myself with them. If you're using them for elk I'd consider the 180g. The ones we started having problems with were 150s loaded to 3000 fps from a 30-06. The old lot work great and the newer ones had soft ball sized entrance wounds and little penetration. I shot a cow elk last year with an 18" 7-08 and a 150g .284 eldx. It had a large entrance like that and very little penetration. A quick follow up to the neck stopped a potential 1 lung rodeo. I've since switched that to the 180 eld at an even lower mv hoping for more penetration.

Bb

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I load the 150gr. Hornady in 308Win. for my wife's nephew. 45.0gr. of IMR-4064 shoots very well in his Tikka. He killed a raghorn bull last year at 280yds. First shot was a quartering away downhill shot. The bullet was found literally in the heart! Second shot was downhill broadside and was a pass thru! I asked him If he wanted me to load up some 165gr Hornady's for this year. He told me he wanted 30 more 150grainers and don't even think about changing his load! A sample of one, but I believe there are a bunch of samples like his to prove they will get the job done as long as you take sensible shots.

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
377 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 39 invisible), 2,053 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,970
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.