Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have said for decades... if you factor in the REAL and FULLY ITEMIZED COSTS of growing, transporting, making and blending 10% ethanol with gasoline... straight gas would still be everywhere.

.GOV ALWAYS cooks the books for stuff they want to push.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by RufusG
No matter how many times you type it, it's still not true. The marginal cost when it's actually running is irrelevant, unless you plan to ignore your customers the 16 hours a day the solar is useless.

No matter how often you deny it, cost is cost. Utilization rate has nothing to do with it. Right now, today, utility size solar contracts deliver electricity to the grid at a cost $0.03 /KWH. Not for capacity, for actual product delivered. If you are familiar with the relative costs of generation, that’s half of the cost of natural gas, and a little less than half of coal. And close to a quarter of the cost of a gas peaker plant.

If you want to rely on solar, 50% of the cost can be in storage, and you’re still even.

Get back to us when that storage becomes a reality.

Until then, theoretical cost, either low or high, doesn't matter if you can't get the power when you need it.

MM

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
No matter how many times you type it, it's still not true. The marginal cost when it's actually running is irrelevant, unless you plan to ignore your customers the 16 hours a day the solar is useless.

No matter how often you deny it, cost is cost. Utilization rate has nothing to do with it. Right now, today, utility size solar contracts deliver electricity to the grid at a cost $0.03 /KWH. Not for capacity, for actual product delivered. If you are familiar with the relative costs of generation, that’s half of the cost of natural gas, and a little less than half of coal. And close to a quarter of the cost of a gas peaker plant.

If you want to rely on solar, 50% of the cost can be in storage, and you’re still even.

Get back to us when that storage becomes a reality.

Until then, theoretical cost, either low or high, doesn't matter if you can't get the power when you need it.

MM

Also
It takes more energy to create the Solar than than it produces in its life span.
We pay other Country's to build the Panels and then ship them here. The shipping creates pollution as well.
The Greenies refuse to look at all of the facts when they are fed the BS.

I consider the system I built as prepaid power.
I am going to pay one way or another .

Large scale storage is a pay off scam to make certain people Rich and others Controlled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by troublesome82
Right now, phasing out coal and executive orders on oil production is going to be of "Hunger Games" proportions bad unless by some miracle this insane greenie wave diminishes!

When the ahole commies can't get their Popeye's chikkin sammich, Starbuck's of the day, or bean sprouts and tofu, they'll take notice.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
That 3% is like Moore’s law in computing, and means that in 20 years from now, solar will cost half as much as it does today. And today solar is being installed at utility scale for around 3 c/KWH in the desert southwest.

Is the 3 c/KWH computed for only the time the solar is producing energy, or is it computed for a 24 hr period? Because after all, solar doesn't produce when the sun goes down.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TRnCO
That 3% is like Moore’s law in computing, and means that in 20 years from now, solar will cost half as much as it does today. And today solar is being installed at utility scale for around 3 c/KWH in the desert southwest.

Is the 3 c/KWH computed for only the time the solar is producing energy, or is it computed for a 24 hr period? Because after all, solar doesn't produce when the sun goes down.

Not sure what your question is. .3 c/KWH is the contract price paid to the supplier for electricity sent to the grid.

Utilization rate has nothing to do with it.

Do I remember correctly that you posted here about installing a backup generator for your place?

Yeah. We’re on hydro and coal, courtesy of Warren Buffet. Power goes down occasionally, last time because some dufus hit a power pole. What’s that got to do with the cost of solar?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I would like to know all these subsidies.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Do I remember correctly that you posted here about installing a backup generator for your place?

Missed previous post, see below.

Last edited by RufusG; 10/22/21.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I believe this winter the greenies will get a rude awakening throughout the world. The Brits built a huge wind turbine and found the wind doesn't always blow. They are now scrambling to buy all the coal they can find. The goofy Germans deconstructed their nuclear sites after [bleep] - not necassey as that was old technology and Germany isn't earthquake prone. The Germans are not getting all the natural gas they need from Russia and drum roll, they are buying all the coal they can find.
Chinese oligarchs have been instructed to buy all the coal they can find at any price form any country. Why? They are afraid of rolling blackouts this winter. They are building coal fired plants as fast as possible.The Chinese are exempt from any international carbon emissions because they are considered to the a "developing nation". IOndia is doing the same thing.
Solar and wind are not ready for prime time. The "reconciliation bill" pending mistake is calling for zero emissions for our energy grid by 2035! Absolutely not even close to happening. The "Squad" is not concerned with the climate. Rather, they are motivated to crush capitalism.
Wind and solar is mot scalable and cannot be considered suitable to be a base load.
I want to see green energy move thousands of cargo ships and move millions of containers to warehouses and stores. Let's go Brandon!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yeah. We’re on hydro and coal, courtesy of Warren Buffet. Power goes down occasionally, last time because some dufus hit a power pole. What’s that got to do with the cost of solar?

Cool. So obviously you went with the solar backup generator?

Last edited by RufusG; 10/22/21.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TRnCO

Not sure what your question is. .3 c/KWH is the contract price paid to the supplier for electricity sent to the grid.

You understand perfectly what his question is. And the answer is it's only for the power delivered when the sun is shining, not for the 16 hours a day you have to get power somewhere else.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
When we lived in Yuma, Arizona we looked into solar. There are very few places where solar would be better suited than Yuma. Over 100 degrees six months out of the year and less than 3 inches annual rainfall. The payout was equal to the expected life of the panels. About fifteen years. Don't know if that has changed. Wasn't cost effective then.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Wind, solar and backups.

I think every humanitarian and government from every functioning society has tried that in Haiti, numerous times.

Of course, like public education, racial equality and welfare, there hasn't been enough of someone else's money spent to make it successful......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You understand perfectly what his question is. And the answer is it's only for the power delivered when the sun is shining, not for the 16 hours a day you have to get power somewhere else.

And the problem of a willing buyer and a willing seller agreeing on a price is, what, exactly?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Solar make excellent sense in certain locations... I have a friend at altitude in NM that is slamming it with solar... My best recollection is that he made a $30k-$35k capital investment with a calculated payoff in 16 years. He thinks it will be paid off in 8 or 9 years instead... then free until the panels/storage units crap out in 25-35 years.

I was hopeful for my WV needs... but probably not going to work out after doing more math. My particulars are about 50% as efficient as his were.

Like buying Time Shares... there are lots of UNEDUCATED SUCKERS out there that refuse to do the hard study... the hard math.

Green Energy is not... NOR EVER BE a one size fits all...

Any .GOV that says it is... LIES.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

And the problem of a willing buyer and a willing seller agreeing on a price is, what, exactly?

Hey, you skipped over my question about your solar backup generator. How's that working out?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Hey, you skipped over my question about your solar backup generator. How's that working out?

You keep throwing random statements in this thread like a drunk with Tourette syndrome, and expect everyone to chase your red herrings. Like all your other verbal vomits, there’s no relevance to the ongoing discussion.

But to answer your question: at our level of draw, it would take at least two Tesla power packs to have a full 24 hr back up, and you have to buy their expensive inverter (total cost over $150K), AND they are back ordered for over a year, depending who you ask. That’s five times the cost of a simple propane generator, so that’s what got installed. Besides, a backup battery and a backup generator have two different functions. The propane generator is an emergency backup system. The battery function is to store excess energy and move it in time to a time of deficit supply. All of which is utterly irrelevant to the discussion of utility scale cost of solar and storage, which you keep avoiding.

I have a quote for a full solar / backup package in my desk drawer somewhere, but the Trump administration Chinese import duties increased the price to where the payback was more than 6 years. I have several investments I can make on the farm that have payback periods less than half that, so it’ll stay in the drawer. Again, utterly irrelevant to the discussion the cost of utility scale solar and storage, which you keep avoiding.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So let's summarize:

In the real world, when it's YOUR electricity we're talking about:
1. Reliability is an actual thing, so much so that you'll fork out your own money to ensure it.
2. And solar isn't even close to being economical to provide that reliable power

In the theoretical, sci-fi, fantasy world you love to pontificate about, which basically involves everyone else's electricity:
1. Reliability is irrelevant, cost is the only factor, and
2. Solar is so cheap pretty soon they'll be paying us to take it.

One set of rules for you, and a whole 'nother set for everyone else.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Solar make excellent sense in certain locations... I have a friend at altitude in NM that is slamming it with solar... My best recollection is that he made a $30k-$35k capital investment with a calculated payoff in 16 years. He thinks it will be paid off in 8 or 9 years instead... then free until the panels/storage units crap out in 25-35 years.

I was hopeful for my WV needs... but probably not going to work out after doing more math. My particulars are about 50% as efficient as his were.

Like buying Time Shares... there are lots of UNEDUCATED SUCKERS out there that refuse to do the hard study... the hard math.

Green Energy is not... NOR EVER BE a one size fits all...

Any .GOV that says it is... LIES.

When we looked seriously into solar power the life of the panels was about 15 years. If the panels will last 25 years it might be cost effective. We have two solar pumps in wells on the ranch. They work very well but we store the water not the electricity.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by funshooter
Originally Posted by 45_100
Technology continues to advance and the rate of advancement continues to accelerate. Someday in the future we will be able to supply our energy needs through so called "clean energy" and it may not be what we envision today. At this point in time hydroelectric power is the cleanest, most reliable source of energy but there is opposition to even that. Wind generators and solar panels have a much shortwr life span than coal, natural gas, nuclear and hydroelectric generators.
Legislating and subsidizing the "green" agenda before technology has made it feasible will cause severe disruption of our economy and life style. We need to let the market dictate when that happens not the government. Hopefully the destruction of these short sighted state's and nation's economies will spare the rest of us from the same fate.

You forgot to add.
Kick Backs and pay back to political beneficiaries.
You just have to look into who owns or benefits from all of the push from our Gooberment to get these systems up and running.
Follow the money.

Wait a minit, wait just another minit if you dont mind.
Are you trying to say that Joe is just in this for whatever cash he might find laying around?
Anyway isnt he trying to fix all that crooked stuff with the new $600 bank deposit deal?
By the way, does that include offshore accounts also?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,077 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,080
Posts18,463,886
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.