-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
One of the purely aesthetic issues I have with the Ruger 77 (later models, at least) is the stainless bolt. I really like the Ruger 77s and they are/were available as lefties, so they are one of the actions I can foresee building a custom rifle on.

Has anyone ever refinished the stainless bolt in one way or another? Being stainless, I guess you can't actually blue it, but maybe nitriding or black chroming? Engine turn or jewel a section of it? I think in a perfect world I'd rust blue the rest of the gun (again, not sure the cast receiver would take rust blueing), and treat the bolt the same way, I'm just not sure what's possible given the nature of the (cast?) stainless bolt.

Anyway, any ideas or experience would be appreciated.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Blueing is a definite no, alas I have had stainless coated black…but it was a type of cerakote.
Nitriding may work but it won’t be a deep black.
I’ve done Parkerising, but it wasn’t what I wanted finish wise.
Good luck getting the finish you want as I have never had one come back how I envisioned.

Cheers.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Here is one posted by RGK that had the bolt handle cerakoted.

Link to pics: Re: If you had to pick just ONE - RGK's Ruger Hawkeye

And below his description of what he had done to the rifle.

Originally Posted by RGK
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Originally Posted by RGK
Another Ruger, this one in .30-06. I could be happy with this.
Bob

Really like this one. Recall you posting it some time back. Could you fill in the details on the work you had done by Hill Country Rifles?

Sure. Hill Country installed a 24" factory-taper barrel, glassed and bedded the action and barrel channel (full-length pressure), oil refinish, red 1" pad, cera-Kote bolt handle, extractor and floorplate, engine turned the bolt body and tuned the trigger for a 3 lb pull. I also had them polish off the Ruger dirty bird on the floorplate. It shoots 168 grain Barnes TTSX factory into one hole at 100 meters. An awesome lefty. I like it.
Bob

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I have cerakoted barrrels for Rugers, and the Midnight Blue matches the action pretty closely so that would work.

That’s the color I use for all my bluing match cerakotes.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Stainless can be blued. Depending on the alloy, results may vary as to tone.

I once turned, per customer request, the rear sight hump off a 721 or 722 ( I forget) without realizing it was blued stainless. Incidental, actually, to some other work. "No problem", says I. "I'll just drop it in the tanks afterward with some other guns on blueing day."

That cost me for the send-out wotk- but there are people out there who can blue (or re-blue) stainless.

Last edited by las; 10/23/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

C
OP Offline
C
Here is one posted by RGK that had the bolt handle cerakoted.

Link to pics: Re: If you had to pick just ONE - RGK's Ruger Hawkeye

And below his description of what he had done to the rifle.

Originally Posted by RGK
Originally Posted by RGK
Another Ruger, this one in .30-06. I could be happy with this.
Bob

Really like this one. Recall you posting it some time back. Could you fill in the details on the work you had done by Hill Country Rifles?

Sure. Hill Country installed a 24" factory-taper barrel, glassed and bedded the action and barrel channel (full-length pressure), oil refinish, red 1" pad, cera-Kote bolt handle, extractor and floorplate, engine turned the bolt body and tuned the trigger for a 3 lb pull. I also had them polish off the Ruger dirty bird on the floorplate. It shoots 168 grain Barnes TTSX factory into one hole at 100 meters. An awesome lefty. I like it.
Bob

That's a beautiful rifle there. It looks like Cerakote may be the answer.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would just glass bead it to a dull gray and use as is.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stainless can be blued as per the previous comment. Stainless is rust resistant, not rust proof. Bluing is controlled rusting. I would think hot dip bluing would be possible, but the timing in tank would need to change. I’ve done slow rust blue. I think it would just take extra dips in the hot water. I may be way off base. I’d slow rust blue as it can be done at home and doesn’t use hazardous chemicals.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know crap about gluing a gun. Period.
Beyond the fact thatRemington used to blue stainless barrels.

I do know that while stainless can rust. It acts different than
carbon steel. Carbon, gets light surface rust that eventually pits.
Stainless often shows rust as pits.

At least in rifle barrel grade steels.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Slow rust bluing is as simple as it gets.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

189 members (338reddog, 35, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 007FJ, 19 invisible), 1,545 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,584
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.