Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Internet opinion is fun, but not very conclusive. Although old, Harold Vaughn's book, Rifle Accuracy Facts, pretty well covers all that is known (as opposed to 'believed') on the subject. It's a hard read for sure, but until you study the conclusions on frequency vs amplitude and apply those relationships to your goals for your rifle...your wasting your time and money. Also you need to ask the question, "do I want precision, or accuracy"? If I may make a parable without any intent to insult you...you have basically asked the question, "what is the best kind of chainsaw"?

Accuracy and precision are necessary for a successful rifle.

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by John_Boy
I’m thinking I’d lose 90 - 150fps and gain a bit in muzzle blast / noise. Not bad if I can get more accuracy

You won’t gain any accuracy by shortening a factory barrel. Theoretically a shorter barrel can be more accurate because it’s stiffer but you’d never be able to see it unless you’re dealing with a benchrest rifle and shooter.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the core question is better stated...
"I have a rifle I'm trying to get shooting better...will cutting the barrel help?"

My response as many others have already state is...you've got much on the table to try first before you do something as drastic and irreversible as cutting your barrel. You're already having the bedding done, and replaced the trigger. I'd also look at the crown and most of all work on your loads and marksmanship. There's nothing mentioned about loads, but if you're looking for match level accuracy your best bet is to be shooting match bullets. The other folk can argue about powders, primers and brass prep. But the biggest first step is to shoot a bullet up to your accuracy goals.

Last edited by ChrisF; 10/23/21.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well said Chris. I ha dload for all my rifles. I use 150gr slugs for this one. Whatever is on sale….
The last time I shot in competition was ‘69 I think. I placed 10th in the state for jr. shooters. The only girl on our team took 1st place for Sr. shooters. That girl was bad news……

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
What's the website for a stutter cure? grin

Yeah, he is working on getting his post count up though..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TX35W
There is a 99% chance you will not gain accuracy from cutting your barrel down unless, by some coincidence, your crown is damaged. If you want a shorter barrel for other reasons, great, but if you cut the barrel, there is a slight chance you might throw the barrel into a different tune re: the loads it likes.

If you were unsure about the bedding, that is likely the cause of your troubles.

The fact that the trigger improved groups so dramatically may or may not hint at a technique issue. But if your technique is solid, the shot distribution of your best group (2 in, one out) hints either at a bedding issue or an issue with your ammo, maybe seating depth.

All of which is to say, after you fix the bedding, cutting the barrel remains at the bottom of list of things to do to get your rifle shooting better.

Exactly..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use 150gr slugs for this one. Whatever is on sale….

LOL! FYI, "S-A-L-E" brand doesn't always equate to good shooting!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It does if it’s A Max…..

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Overall groups almost never get worse shortening the barrel of a scoped rifle. The optimum load may however change some.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Okie John you beat me to it. Great article.

I suppose you can say this was THE length for the 22 PPC Virgil shot. "He learned was more valuable than this: a barrel MUST be 21 3/4” long for optimum accuracy. That precise length sets up a vibration pattern that duplicates well from shot to shot.

This article was about the Nth degree pursuit of accuracy. How about this: "Lapping compound was smeared on the barrel threads, and by applying outward pull, the barrel was lapped into the action threads for full, positive contact. Virgil pointed out that if this procedure is not accomplished, only one thread or parts of one or several threads may be making contact. Anything less than full thread contact is destructive to finest accuracy. "

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by okie john

I've read this article many times. I'm still in awe of the precision and skill involved. Thanks for posting it again.

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Great article…..
One thing that I noted was the consistency.
I was always taught in 4H training and other competition venues to hold exactly the same way a best you can and controlled breathing. Call you sight picture when the rifle fires.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (10Glocks, 300jimmy, 41rem, 300_savage, 11 invisible), 1,340 guests, and 829 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,446
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.