Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I’ll be changing my philosophy for using a torque screwdriver on my rifles. Thanks to the advice of Al Nyhus and several other informed members I’ll no longer be torquing a pillar bedded rifle. Non bedded rifles, scope bases and rings will continue to be torqued….
Yes , you can teach an old dog new tricks….

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No one was pillar bedding before composite stocks came along....I'm not incorrect

It looks like this statement has been corrected and put to bed, but here's more from Creighton Audette circa 1970's ish;

"...one of the major major problems with bedding is the tendency of the wood, or the bedding material to change dimensions, under the stress of the clamping action of the guard screws, and with changes in temperature and humidity. ...Plastics including those used in bedding materials are not completely impervious to moisture absorption, are attacked by some oils, greases and solvents, and are subject to "creep" under continued stress. ...during glass bedding, the bushings are permanently bedded in place in the bedding material.

He wrote a whole lot more about the problems with wood stocks and actually gets into the mechanics of how wood deforms over time. Cool reading from one of the accuracy thinkers/experimenters/competitors/gunsmiths.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I make my own from 6061 aluminum. Some have been in place for 25 years and so far no signs of corrosion between them and the steel.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by pertnear
I've had good luck using 3/8" threaded lamp rods. Available most everywhere & inexpensive.

I bought some of those with the intention of using them, but never did. They're kinda' thin walled though.

Years ago I ran across some thick wall aluminum tubing that works great.

I don't let the pillar touch the action, instead have a bit of bedding compound between the two for a more precise fit.

I normally will mill a correct (receiver diameter) radius in the receiver end of the pillar and cut them to the correct length in the lathe. They then fit the receiver correctly.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is that done with multiple passes or does the bit (correct name?) have the correct radius already and milled with one pass?

Disclaimer: I obviously do not own a lathe or mill!!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
One pass with a boring head set to correct radius.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
When the object of bedding is to provide a micron fit between action and the bedding material, why would we have the action in contact with two dissimilar materials (bedding and aluminum pillars)?

Good shootin'. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
When the object of bedding is to provide a micron fit between action and the bedding material, why would we have the action in contact with two dissimilar materials (bedding and aluminum pillars)?

Good shootin'. -Al

That is one of the reasons I pour my pillars at the same time as I do my bedding. The other reason is that (for simple terms) it is like plumbing, the more joints you have, the more chances of leaks. When the bedding and pillars are poured at the same time you have one joint, the bedding to the stock.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Why all the concern with dissimilar materials, when most heavy grey epoxies use some form of metal as a filler/thickening agent, Ferrosilicon, kinda like chopped glass or micro- balloons one would use to thicken up epoxy resin.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by ChrisF
No one was pillar bedding before composite stocks came along....I'm not incorrect

It looks like this statement has been corrected and put to bed, but here's more from Creighton Audette circa 1970's ish;

Only place it was corrected was inside your head.

IC B3

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
One thing sOme might have learned is pillar bedding became widespread when composite stocks came on the scene....

Torques wrenches are only necessary on action screws of cheaply made plastic stocks with aluminum wedge type bedding.

And last but not the least thing I learned was Al Nyhus can pillar bedd the hell out a a gun stock.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
One thing some might have learned is pillar bedding became widespread when composite stocks came on the scene....

You might want to read the article in the December 1985 issue of Precision Shooting Magazine by Chet Brown entitled 'History Of Fiberglass Stocks' by Chet Brown. In this article, he details the work that he and Lee Six did with the first 'glass stocks and some of what was going on before the advent of them.

Originally Posted by LFC
Torque wrenches are only necessary on action screws of cheaply made plastic stocks with aluminum wedge type bedding.

This is a quote from Jim Borden in the June 1990 issue of Precision Shooting Magazine:

"One of the frequently asked questions I get is how much to torque to use on the action screws. This is a sure indicator to me that an understanding of why we bolt guns together is not in place."

In 1984, Dave Breenan did an excellent series of articles in Precision Shooting Magazine 'The Evolution Of The Benchrest Rifle' that documents the work being done on these rifles from 1950 to 1955. In that series, mention is made of the firm of Taylor And Robbins using pillar bedding on their wood stocked rifles and how this had crossed over to their live varmint and sporter/hunting rifles.

Good shootin'. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I dont need to read it.....it just backs up what I said.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Darryle
Why all the concern with dissimilar materials, when most heavy grey epoxies use some form of metal as a filler/thickening agent, Ferrosilicon, kinda like chopped glass or micro- balloons one would use to thicken up epoxy resin.

While I don't use any of the metallic additive bedding compounds, I don't think those additives are really an issue as long as they don't adversely affect either the shrinkage or hardness of the end product. For bedding compounds that use metallic particles as part of the original blending, you want to make sure the shrinkage numbers are in line with a high quality, non-metallic compound. Prior to popular belief, bedding compounds, especially the metallic compounds, can actually be too hard when cured fully. The ceramic compounds I was given to test prior to them being brought to market as a bedding agent also showed that tendency.

Having the receiver in bedding material and also in hard contact with metallic pillars is simply not the best way to do a quality bedding job that will last.

Good shootin'. smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Here’s the answer to the original question.
Pillars by Al Nyhus…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Now I’ve begun the balance of the project.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by John_Boy; 11/06/21.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
John, after about 8 hours, gently loosen the guide pins a half turn with a locking pliers....just make sure they're free. Then walk away for another 12 hrs. (16 total).

Patience, young Jedi..... wink -Al

Forbidden Zoner
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Nice job

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the reminder Al. Actually I’ve already done it twice.
Yes, LFC, done by the best….

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pertnear
I've had good luck using 3/8" threaded lamp rods. Available most everywhere & inexpensive.

I've got a coffee can full of these in various lengths. Selling for $29.99 each, shipping included, and thats to AK and HI included.

Last edited by AZmark; 11/06/21.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LFC

SAKO, Mauser?

I see it's already been addressed as I read the thread. blush

Al,
It seems you are against torquing the screws.

Is there a reason not too?
Or just that it's not so important?

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 11/06/21.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (22kHornet, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 40 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,287
Posts18,467,895
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.