Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
needing a new rangefinder. my old Leupold RX1000 tbr has been fine but lately its started reading funny sometimes. like when I'm trying to range antelope on a ridge and it tells me 24 yards when it should be 10x that far. I can usually eventually get the right reading after multiple clicks. This one has served me well for at least 6-7 years and it's time to upgrade. any recommendations for a comparable model maybe a little more range? I have a couple hundred in cabelas points but they are mostly vortex and only 2 leupolds. Thanks in advance

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Leica 2800 from Camerland

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Leica would always be my first choice...as is Doug.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Leica, hands down.

NRA Patron
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If you search the’Fire on this subject, I think you will find the Leica is an overwhelmingly favorite brand.

Leica (name your model and price range) is all you need to know and Doug or Neal at Cameraland NY is where you go.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Our pleasure to assist and discuss options. Please give me or Neil a call. 516-217-1000

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
My Leica has been dependable for years. I have a buddy that keeps "upgrading" to the newer fancy ones on the market that are supposed to calculate your drop, predict the weather and wipe your ass, but they seldom are accurate.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm quite pleased with my Sig Kilo 2000. It was affordable and very accurate. I had been using a Leica 1200 that was growing old and inaccurate. It wouldn't pick up longer range targets anymore and took quite a while to give me a reading. The Sig is instant and has gotten me accurate ranges on boulders out to 2400 and targets at nearly 2000.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Leica 1600 works perfectly for me.

LOL
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Probably cannot beat a Leica, but three Sig's that I have been around and now use, leave money in my pocket. I am using a Sig 2200 and cannot be happier.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For actual range determinations,Sig by a fhuqking mile. I'll take the optical hit in BRF's,to rock Sig and leave my Geovids setting on a shelf...as there is NO fhuqking comparision. Hint.

Looking forward to snagging a set of Sig 10K BRF's,as soon as possible. Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

For accurately ranging fuzzy brown critters against various backgrounds, my Leica 2800 beats every other rangefinder I’ve owned or used.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
My Leica has been dependable for years. I have a buddy that keeps "upgrading" to the newer fancy ones on the market that are supposed to calculate your drop, predict the weather and wipe your ass, but they seldom are accurate.

For where I hunt, my golf rangefinder with slope > my Leica

🤣

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 2800's are fhuqking Dog Schit compared to Sig. They are unable to begin to touch them in speed,accuracy or any/all things with weather. Then of course,there's Leeker's inability to correct horizontal(IHR),beyond 1200yds...if only for fhuqking starters. Hint.

The Leeker Troupe cries Big Tears annually,for The Showcase Showdown,with multiple 1000's of Critters to dabble,in a single day. Doubly so,when remiss topography and flora,to bail 'em out. Ain't even fhuqking close. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

In fairness,water is THE barometer. There's no superficial "help" in a eeking reading and it quickly correlates how to sight an instrument in,as well as get a read on beam divergence. Hint.

Pardon reality. Hint....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sig Kilos have been hit or miss for me. I had a "good" one, but I dropped it while on my horse, right onto a rock. No more worky.
Sig warranty dept couldn't repair it so they replaced it. The replacement absolutely sucked. It wouldn't read past about 500 yards, in good weather or if the target was reflective. I ended up buying another Kilo 2000 and it is "OK", at best. It'll read out to about 700 yards max and only if weather and terrain conditions are good. Even the slightest amount of fog has absolutely jacked all three of them all up.

The search continues.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If you want probably the best rangefinder ever, that will range farther than any laser unit and no batteries to die on you and will work in any weather condition.

WILD M41

I have used mine to range to at least 5000 meters, that is about the only flaw it only ranges in meters not yards. the other possible downside to some might be the portability issue (it don't fit in your pocket !!!)

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Damn Larry! I never get tired of your pictures and that last one with the calf feeding next to the brown bear is absolutely killer!

I hope all is well with you. I’ll be spending more and more time in your stomping grounds starting this coming year and I hope that at some point our schedules coincide as I’d like to buy you a few drinks and get a chance to do some shooting….. and fishing with you. 👍

Until then keep those pictures and reports coming. 👍👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I know this will light up Stick...

The Sig 2000 and 2200 I owned were faster, the scan feature is faster, they range further than advertised, they are great if a guy is shooting stop signs, horse trailers, barns, big boulders and cliff faces, but they don't do as well on fuzzy brown critters against various types of foliage and terrain. They won't pick up fuzzy brown pronghorns laying on fuzzy brown prairie hillsides 300 yds away when the Leica did. There was a couple times while pronghorn hunting a few years ago I came close to throwing the gawd damn rangefinders at the antelope for all the good they did.....

The Leica has a tighter beam, and I can range between the limbs to the other side of a ravine where the elk were while I was in the timber on the opposite side. My Sigs wouldn't and my Vortex I still have won't do that.

I can't speak for later versions of the Sigs.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Sig Kilos have been hit or miss for me. I had a "good" one, but I dropped it while on my horse, right onto a rock. No more worky.
Sig warranty dept couldn't repair it so they replaced it. The replacement absolutely sucked. It wouldn't read past about 500 yards, in good weather or if the target was reflective. I ended up buying another Kilo 2000 and it is "OK", at best. It'll read out to about 700 yards max and only if weather and terrain conditions are good. Even the slightest amount of fog has absolutely jacked all three of them all up.

The search continues.

I've had a couple of Kilo 2000s and a 2200, and all of them were decent, but none were amazing. The ranging capability of my Geovid HD-R 2200 blows all three of my Sigs out of the water in every environmental condition we encounter around here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I switched from an older Leica to maven. really like mine. Used in many conditions, terrain

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1234, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,906 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,576
Posts18,453,975
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.