Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looking at a new vehicle in the near future and the GMC 1/2 ton with the 3.0 really caught my attention.

Who has one?

Mileage? rated at 22 and 26, others talk of closer to 30 real world.
Mechanical issues? Its been around for 2 years now, not exactly long term but whats the word on the street?
looks like an oil change on this motor is about double at the local dealer, 150 bucks????
DEF fluid, how much we paying per gallon and approx what cost per tank of fuel or per MPG?
Any starting issues in cold weather? lowest I might see here is -25 at night once or twice a year.

According to the salesman, about 8 months out, Wowza.

BP-B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
It has my interest also. It is an inline 6 as all diesels for these trucks should be in my opinion. That is a good start. Not to thrilled about it being an aluminum block though. I know it has steel sleeves, but an aluminum block diesel just doesn't feel right to me.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
28/30 mpg from a full size truck (1/2) has a lot of appeal, but still haven't crunched all the numbers.

My current 5.3 gas pulls my boat fairly well, no real issues to justify a 6.2 gas or even the 6.0 Daddy Duramax,

Overall lifetime avg about 16 mpg.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
No just no. Google some pics of the engine.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
This should be good.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stix
No just no. Google some pics of the engine.

Thanks bro, really appreciate your in-depth analysis.

Very helpful.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
This should be good.

Well, ya, now that your here.

Any jokes abut my Mother and the need for a diesel, U b off my X-mas card list.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you order this engine with the 10L80 10 speed transmission you would really have a winner IMO... my son has the 10 speed in his 2021 Sierra with the 5.3 and it is a great set up. With the available additional gearing they can more easily match the driving load to the available power band and it results in a feeling of more power at all rpms, and a smoother transition between gears.. should be even better with this 3.0 diesel...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Kenneth;
Good afternoon sir, I hope the week was a good one and this finds you well.

The 2.8 Duramax was, as far as I am aware, an entirely different engine than the inline 3.0 liter 6 cylinder.

Here's a blurb I found online regarding the 3.0.

"The Duramax 3.0-liter diesel uses a lightweight aluminum block and cylinder head to reduce mass, though the cylinder liners are iron. That’s still a 25% mass savings over a comparable cast-iron block. The main bearing caps are iron, as well, which protect the engine under high combustion pressures while a deep-skirt block (where the block casting extends below the crankshaft centerline) contributes to the strength. Also adding stiffness, an aluminum lower crankcase extension is attached to the main bearing caps."

To begin with my thoughts on that, I'll say I began running diesel equipment on a reasonably large farm in the mid '70's and have been involved with diesels from that time on in varying amounts including Kubota, Mitsubishi, VW, Cummins, Ford, GM Duramax, Perkins, Cat, International and Mack engines - off the top of my head.

My last place of employment before retirement was a GM dealership and I try to stay up to date on what the newer ones are doing, sometimes through a family member who is a certified diesel mechanic.

If I was shopping for a new diesel pickup, the very last thing I'd hope it to have would be an aluminum block for a plethora of reasons, not the least of which is that diesels need heat to burn efficiently and an aluminum block will not retain heat like a cast iron block will.

When I worked at the GM dealership, I got to see first hand how the big 3 dealers struggled with the parent companies attempting to make the new emissions strangled diesels keep running.

I have nothing, as in not one good thing to say about the newer diesel engines in their factory state.

Sorry to be negative, perhaps I'm entirely too jaded from my experiences and it's entirely possible that GM has engineered this new diesel to be perfect and wonderful in it's first edition.

Hopefully that was useful to you or someone out there sir, good luck with the truck purchase whichever way you decide.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 10/23/21.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've had a GMC 3.0 4WD for about 1-1/2 years now and 75K miles and love it. It's been leveled and has larger tires than OE tires and it get @ 21 mpg in my driving which is mostly on the road. The bigger tires and leveling really hurt the mileage by almost 6 mpg. I drive over 80 mph on the interstate. With a less heavy foot you will get better mileage as I get almost 25 mpg in roads where I stay around 65 mph.

Oil change and tire rotation every 7500 miles costs about $160 at the dealership. Change fuel filter about every 25k miles. 5 gallon DEF tank is good for 2500 miles.

Love this truck, but if I was mostly driving around town I would probably have a gas burner. That 6.2L V8 engine is a beast and will pass anything but a gas station.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The 6.0 gasser never gets any love.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You don’t want any EPA compliant diesel unless you *really need* a diesel. And if you are looking at a half ton, you don’t really need a diesel.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The 3.0 duramax has a belt that's actually in the oil that is supposed to be changed every 150 000. They have to drop the transmission to get to it. It's about an 8 hour job like changing the timing chain on Hondas.

An engineer at GM said the belt was a compromise because the inline 6 is already almost too long to fit in the trucks. That belt configuration was a way to keep it shorter. I've wondered why they didn't go with a compacted graphite iron block instead of aluminum as well.

I've really been looking at a new suburban and I'm considering this diesel in one. 26 mpg in a suburban sounds pretty good. I drove a 1/2 truck with the diesel and had good torque and decent power. The 10 speed auto is very nice. My cousin said he's sold over 100 trucks with the 3.0 in the last 2 years and only 1 had a problem. It uses oil and had the head replaced under warranty.

I really want the z71 suburban but you can get the diesel in it because of the shape of the front end makes it barely too short. I still wonder if they could have made the motor shorter with compacted graphite iron.

I guess the new version of the ram 3.0 diesel is a pretty decent motor compared to their earlier one. It does have a CGI block but it's a v6 and I like the idea of the straight 6.

The dealer said they can't even order me a suburban with the diesel now anyways. I guess they are offering the 6.2 gas in the z71 for 2022 so maybe I'll go that way.

Bb

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The expense of diesel maintenance and parts [if you keep it long term] offsets the fuel economy .

Even when I dragged heavy boat/tractor around I couldn't justify a diesel , plus hated the noise .

The 3.0 with upper 20's mpg sounds good but the long term numbers don't add up for me .

Gas engine w/10 spd. transmission = torque multiplication .
What burleyboy said ...

Get one Kenneth [3.0 diesel] and keep us posted on how it works out .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 with the 3.0 Diesel engine.

I am getting around 24 mpg on the highway at 75 mph. Power is good, I pull a boat that is around 5400 pounds with ease.

I am well pleased so far with one exception. Several times the truck has failed to start. I press the button to start it, the engine turns over for about 10 second but does not start. It will start the second time almost every try. This has happened about 10 times. I bought the truck in March and it has 19,000 miles on it. GM just released a programming update to resolve this.

When my wife’s Expedition is retired, I am considering a diesel Yukon.

Previous to this truck I drove F250s with diesels.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The first time something [bleep] the bed motor related there goes all your fuel savings. Get a gasser.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ol_mike
The expense of diesel maintenance and parts [if you keep it long term] offsets the fuel economy .

Even when I dragged heavy boat/tractor around I couldn't justify a diesel , plus hated the noise .

Fully understood on the added expense with a diesel.

Regarding the noise on the 3.0, very quiet for a diesel, surprisingly quiet.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mike70560

I am getting around 24 mpg on the highway at 75 mph. Power is good, I pull a boat that is around 5400 pounds with ease.

We have similar boats, what kind of mileage when pulling the boat?

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stix
The first time something [bleep] the bed motor related there goes all your fuel savings. Get a gasser.

Agreed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 70 invisible), 2,688 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.