Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You might check out the book quoted in my sig line?

It's about hunting in a way, a greedy hunter, and men and the evils of men. I looked it up because I love the desert and ran into that quote somewhere and got the book. I found it good enough I reread it every year or so.

Then again..................................I'm weird........................and enjoy weird scheidt sometimes.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by add
That black actor who dresses up as an aunt or as somebody's gramma, or something, and are supposed to be comedies.

Rent those.

Madea is bad ass. Packs a pistola in that big ol purse of hers.

Never heard of that.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
nick pitre.

havetnt read it yet, but was on the '$3 list at the DG.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Check out Michael Connelly, great mystery writer dealing with cases involving both L.A. Police Dept detectives and L. A. Sheriff's Dept. detectives.

Also mystery novels by David Baldacci, Both authors offer good entertaining reading.

L.W.

I am not that fond of Baldacci novels but I enjoy Connelly, The Amazon series Bosch is an adaptation of the L.A. detective character in the Connelly books.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by add
That black actor who dresses up as an aunt or as somebody's gramma, or something, and are supposed to be comedies.

Rent those.

Madea is bad ass. Packs a pistola in that big ol purse of hers.

Never heard of that.

Yep, threatened to shoot some jerk in one of the movies.

Good Christian messages in "her" movies too.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Blood meridian.

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You might check out the book quoted in my sig line?

It's about hunting in a way, a greedy hunter, and men and the evils of men. I looked it up because I love the desert and ran into that quote somewhere and got the book. I found it good enough I reread it every year or so.

Then again..................................I'm weird........................and enjoy weird scheidt sometimes.

Just downloaded a sample of the book from Google Books to my phone

I re-read a ton of stuff. The Donald Harstad novels I mentioned in the OP? Probably read all of them 4 or 5 times now. Same with Connelly, Randy Wayne White, and others.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Raferman
Blood meridian.

Once was enough, for that one...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
He’s the outlaw he one likes till they need him.

The OG rip.

Box invented Romanowski without having any military experience and without consulting with anyone who did.

Fiction is all made up, but to be good it needs to be believable.

Bring in Jack Carr.

I've read Jack Carr. He writes well, and his plots are plausible enough

I feel like he's reaching a bit with James Reece's genesis, or origin. Reece's father was both a spook/warrior, and an all American father who imparted superior moral convictions and a grand outdoor lifestyle to his son. Okay...

In my mind, Jack Carr/James Reece killed Hillary Clinton in his first book. Audacious...
And worth reading again, now that we've brought it up

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by Raferman
Blood meridian.

Once was enough, for that one...

Based on the dark exploits and violent end of John Glanton, served with the Texas Rangers under RIP Ford when they first went into Mexico as part of the war effort in 1846.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Watched "Official Secrets" on Netflix. Very good. (based on true events) But,,,, with the disclaimer, I am now a peacenik and have been ever since my enlistment was up in 1967. So, if you were a fan of Bush and Colin Powell, Rumsfeld, Cheney, Carl Rove, Tony Blair, and 'huge stocks of WMD's', you may not enjoy it.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't read fiction any more so can't recommend much there but it seems you like detective or police related material.

The Onion Field by Joseph Wambaugh is a good book and movie.

LA Confidential is a good noir type movie set in the 1940's with Russell Crowe and Kim Basinger. Basinger won an Oscar for her role here.

A lot of the old Humphrey Bogart classics are great, such as The Maltese Falcon and The Big Sleep in particular. Also lots of the film noir movies of the 40's and 50's like Double Indemnity. They aren't as gritty as modern movies but the stories and dialogue haven't lost anything with age.

Babylon Berlin is an excellent TV series from Germany about a rather conflicted police inspector in the late 1920's Weimar era, it's in German with subtitles but I think there is an English dubbed version as well.

On the somewhat lighter side, Knives Out is a good comedy/murder mystery movie.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Much of John Sandford's stuff. As mentioned, Grisham, Baldacci, Connelly. C.J. Box. Craig Johnson.

Also Robert B. Parker, and those written by others in his name (Ace Atkins, etc.) after Parker's death.

I like some local stories so J.A. Jance. She tells a now amusing/ironic story of going to the University of Arizona and taking a creative writing class where the prof told her to quit becaus she'd never be a writer. Her books have sold many millions of copies. Her husband was supposedly the writer in the family who never had anything published, apparently, as was the case of the professor. Their is a lot more to that story that she tells in person.

If you like sea going stuff Robert Bunes' new book "Wind, Fire and Ice" is out about a Coast Guard icebreaker acruise in !969-70. That one is meaningful to me.

Retired cat herder.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Baggy Zero Four and Mike Five Eight: Air War Over Cambodia

The Author is some guy named Rocky Raab.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The Galaxy’s Edge series. If you like science fiction, military, space opera stuff. I’m like 19 books deep now.

I know Amazon sucks, but the kindle unlimited has saved me many hundreds of dollars every year.

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you like the old film noir movies, read some of the master writers of the genre. Dashielle Hammett, James Cain, and Raymond Chandler. Great story tellers.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
The Galaxy’s Edge series. If you like science fiction, military, space opera stuff. I’m like 19 books deep now.

I know Amazon sucks, but the kindle unlimited has saved me many hundreds of dollars every year.

You recommended these before, and I'd like to check them out. Not seen them in print, and they're n ot available on Google books. Yet...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've read a lot of Sandford's stuff. Mostly pretty well written.

I see JA Jance everywhere. Can't remember if I tried any of it, but I'm way leery of female fiction writers.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

The Onion Field by Joseph Wambaugh is a good book and movie.

I read a couple of Wambaughs novels. His best are hilarious.

Well... Some consider The Onion Field his best. I don't recall the hilarity in that one, but it's been decades
Might be a re-read...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (007FJ, 1minute, 160user, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 69 invisible), 2,172 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,210
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.