jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
BP-B6

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=elkhunternm]My .460 Wby, it makes a wonderful varmint gun.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

SMARTY !!!!!

grin grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My Sharps 50-90 loaded with a 720 grain cast bullet.

Those who call magazines "clips" and cartridges "bullets" ought not to be taken seriously. Jeff Cooper.
We might add those who call bullets "boolits.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DennisB

!!!!

LOL
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by DennisB

!!!!

So almost powerful enough to kill an elk according to some of the folks around here? 😇😂

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I guess the the three Sendero type 700’s I have, 26 Nosler, 7mm ultra mag, 300 Win mag. I don’t really need them.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 10/25/21.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
After my first elk hunt, I was wanting something with a lot of power and that was light weight to haul up and down the mountains. To answer this, I built a light weight 300 Ultra Mag. It was a Remington 700 action that was "lightened" with a #4 Hart fluted barrel in a Brown Pounder stock, with light weight rings and bases. Scope put it was right at 7.5 lbs . and shot great with 180 gr factory loaded ammo. It did not not take but 2 range trips to decide that I was not that pissed off at anything and I sold it. Man it sounded good on paper but it kicked like a rented mule.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hold on to them tightly boys, unless you need the money to live. You'll never be able to price them accordingly to keep up with this hyperinflation.

My over the tops? Just the number of guns I've accrued, and can't find time to shoot. Or haven't shot..or even scoped. If Yellowstone were to blow, most would be buried under lava...then again, i likely would be too.

Ok, my 1939 Winchester model 70 carbine in 30govt06. Probably my most valuable gun, hasn't been out of the safe in 7 years.

I may have just had an epiphany.

Last edited by GoWyo; 10/25/21.

"Damn right it's loaded, it makes a lousy club"
-JW
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
700 Ti 300 SAUM for whitetail's here in the Northeast is over the top,although it's only doing 3000fps with 150gr interlocks. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
tmitch Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by pullit
After my first elk hunt, I was wanting something with a lot of power and that was light weight to haul up and down the mountains. To answer this, I built a light weight 300 Ultra Mag. It was a Remington 700 action that was "lightened" with a #4 Hart fluted barrel in a Brown Pounder stock, with light weight rings and bases. Scope put it was right at 7.5 lbs . and shot great with 180 gr factory loaded ammo. It did not not take but 2 range trips to decide that I was not that pissed off at anything and I sold it. Man it sounded good on paper but it kicked like a rented mule.

Sounds pretty close to the rifle I started the thread with 'cept mine weighs about a quarter pound more. No doubt the long magnum Dakota 76 action contributed to that. Not sure I'm that pissed at anything either! laugh

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
.Tmitch - my friends Benelli 12 gauge with 3.5inch shells. I said something along the same lines after the second pull of the trigger. There was nothing tasty enough for me to use that thing on.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
How many ways could a guy go with this>>>

Probably my most "Over the Top" DR would be this Connecticut Shotgun RBL Professional double chambered for 20 Ga. Sabots.

If one is considers outlay of Benjamins......

This Blaser R93 Grand Luxe Stutzen, two barrel set (9.3 x 62, 30-06) would fiill that bil

Small Caliber......

It would have to be this Custom Remington 600" Stutzen in 17 Mach IV

Grande Caliber.....

Ruger#1.

Either one of these two 475 Turnbull's

Nonneman Custom Winchester M71.

Ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 10/28/21.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Ha! If worse came to worst, you could pole vault out of the swamp with it.

For an eastern deer hunter (mostly), I'm in the same boat... and just sold or traded my two over-the-top rifles: a 9.3x62 and a 35 Whelen. Nothing crazy about the rifles themselves, just major overkill for anything I'm likely to encounter in the woods anytime soon.

What.In.The.Bloody.Hell.Is.Wrong.With.You?

The way life should be.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by bluefish

For an eastern deer hunter (mostly), I'm in the same boat... and just sold or traded my two over-the-top rifles: a 9.3x62 and a 35 Whelen. Nothing crazy about the rifles themselves, just major overkill for anything I'm likely to encounter in the woods anytime soon.

Oh don't worry I couldn't stand it and already have a replacement in the works. AKA the same thing that's wrong with most of the people here smile

The Whelen financed a couple other rifles, so I'm not sorry about it. The 9.3 I'm sure I'll regret, but it was a project gun, so hardly irreplaceable.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have the same affliction. Most of them, I can rationalize / mentally justify most of them, at least to a feeble extent.

The exceptions are 2ea 458 Winchesters & 2ea 458 Lotts. But, they were somewhat “good deals”. I do enjoy shooting them, so all is not lost.

Originally Posted by tmitch
Was digging through my safe the other day and, being a rifle looney, it occurred to me that I have many that I'll probably never hunt during the time I have left on earth. But they were uncommon, priced at a bargain or just plain cool, so I had to own 'em. The majority of my big game hunting consists of whitetail in Michigan, a "turdy turdy" would do fine, so why do I "need" the rest? Loonyism. Anyway, what's your most over the top, WTF do I have this for, rifle?

Here's mine.(I have a few more but this one tops the list)
Mountain Rifles Inc. .30-378 Weatherby 28" barrel + brake. Just perfect for that 50 yard shot at a swamp buck! laugh

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pre-Garcia 338.
Bought it around 94. Never put a scope on it.
Bought brass, bullets, dies, loaded 5, shot them to feel the kick.
Not bad really. Never fired since.

Or the similar 264. Same story, except never fired it.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

Oh don't worry I couldn't stand it and already have a replacement in the works. AKA the same thing that's wrong with most of the people here smile

The Whelen financed a couple other rifles, so I'm not sorry about it. The 9.3 I'm sure I'll regret, but it was a project gun, so hardly irreplaceable.

My 9.3 is going out Saturday morning in peep sight form only. It puts nice holes in deer and never fails to feed or function. It is a "hunter's rifle" and is showing a little wear. I need to name her. The Pine Queen is in the running.

The way life should be.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

My 9.3 is going out Saturday morning in peep sight form only. It puts nice holes in deer and never fails to feed or function. It is a "hunter's rifle" and is showing a little wear. I need to name her. The Pine Queen is in the running.

I've got a call in to JES to see if a Husqvarna Imperial 7000 in 243 has the barrel beef to become a 358.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Sweet!

The way life should be.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Ruger #1 , 450-400 3” Nitro Express. No earthly need just always fascinated by the old British nitro express stuff. The Ruger made it affordable for me. Planned to try and put together a S. Texas hunt for Nilgai with it , things never worked out. Get a lot of “looks” at the range shooting offhand hundred yards with the Aimpoint on it . No need but tons of fun !

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
714 members (204guy, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 74 invisible), 2,946 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,770
Posts18,401,519
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.