Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by MrClean
Our season just opened up here in MS. Haven't really been bushy-tail hunting in a LONG time but use to be my favorite. Thanks for the thread. I'm about to dig out the ol' Ruger 77/22 and check zero. Although it's still a bit warm I may end up in the squirrel woods this weekend thanks to this inspiration.

And.... thanks for the comments on the RWS ammo. Just found some on Gunbroker and ordered. Yes, I know I overpaid, but.... just have to try it.

There's an online rimfire contest in the rimfire forum and today I shot my target with one my Squirrel rifles using RWS Subsonic. I chose this rifle and ammo because it is what I use for Squirrel and I wanted to see just how well it would do. Aging eyes was a bit of a challenge but I endeavored to Persevere. LOL

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Ours opened yesterday. Went for a short woods walk this evening and put the first meat of the season in the pot. Saw three others that would have been easy pickings with a long gun, but too far for the Contender.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by SCGunNut; 10/02/21.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Interesting gun, I've seen a lot of times a .410 pistol would have been handy.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Had to get in one with the 12 gauge sidelock Grulla 209E shotgun. My loads of one ounce of hard #5's. Picked off another this afternoon with the Kimber, RWS Subsonic headache.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Once again, great photo's Phillip. The shotgun photo takes me back a bunch of years to some great times. But the bottom photo is just awesome. The Kimber rifle, Leupold scope and the Randall (I think its a Randall) knife is just so classic.
Thanks for taking the time to post them.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Knife is the same A. G. Russell that's in the first photo, just the other side and a bit of perspective change. It took many years to locate that knife, seemed like forever long looking but not finding. Ms Squirrel lost her mind over it. Most of it anyways. shocked

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by K22
Once again, great photo's Phillip. The shotgun photo takes me back a bunch of years to some great times. But the bottom photo is just awesome. The Kimber rifle, Leupold scope and the Randall (I think its a Randall) knife is just so classic.
Thanks for taking the time to post them.

Yes! I agree!

Thanks, we truly enjoy it!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
Knife is the same A. G. Russell that's in the first photo, just the other side and a bit of perspective change. It took many years to locate that knife, seemed like forever long looking but not finding. Ms Squirrel lost her mind over it. Most of it anyways. shocked

Oh brother. I do remember you telling me some time back that was an A.G. Russell, but of course I've slept since then. I should have known better than to guess (insert eyeroll). While I have several nice custom hunting knives I never did have one made for small game, but should have. I use an old Gerber Bird and Trout model for Squirrel and it has done a great job for me, but yours is so classy looking and now I want one. Does it ever end? LOL
Your photo has inspired me to get my Kimber Classic out and give it a try in the Precision Rimfire Shoot.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You can never have too many knives! I have more than I can find a use for, like most knife guys. Smaller drop points are my favorites though.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I might try printing up one of those targets to see how I could fare on one. I haven't used my printer in over two years though, it might not even work anymore.

IC B3

K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
I agree with you Phillip, I you can't have to many knives. I'm not a fan of large knives, but for some reason never picked up any small drop point models. Is there any custom builders making small drop points very similar to your A.G. Russel?
Yes, join in the shoot. The more the merrier. It is fun and frustrating at the same time. LOL

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
went out this morning. Saw six, got three. Cz 452 with the old winchester power point hollow points

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hunted my patch of woods again today, spotted one this morning for another Kimber K22 kill. None located in the afternoon, no luck.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
nice head shot! Enjoy!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Phil, your Grulla is a very fine shotgun. The guy that imported them had some 16's and 28's. The 28 pointed like a spear, it weighed about 5 1/2 pounds. Regretted selling that one...

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Squirrels were out in force here this afternoon. Got my limit of 6 in just over an hour.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'd like to have a 16 gauge double. I do have an old Stevens 94 16 gauge that was my first firearm. It was bought new for my Dad sometime in the early 1950's. A 12 gauge is a little on the thick side while a 20 can be tiny or toyish; but a 16 can be what Goldilocks was looking for, just right.

I've come to appreciate lighter weight gear as age and health issues make themselves known. I can see why something like a NULA Model 20 in .22 LR would be very desirable. I've lightened myself by 35 pounds over the last year. crazy

K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
I have become all about lighter gear and especially lighter rifles. Age has a way of bringing that out in some of us. blush
Those NULA's are fine accurate rifles, but not sure if the magazine issue is still a problem or not. A couple of other very accurate and light rimfires is the Sako Quad and the Browning T-Bolt. The Browning in walnut is a very nice rifle, but it does need a Jard trigger in place of the junkie factory one. The Sako Quad in synthetic is an awesome setup and rivals any rimfire I have in the accuracy and trigger department. The Hunter model (walnut) is nice looking but does add more weight. And of course the other selling point for the Quad is the switch barrel feature.
I've never weighed my Kimber Classic, but the weight doesn't seem to excessive to me. I should weigh some of mine just so I have an idea of what they are.
One area you could lighten your gear is by going with a lighter knife. I have a few that are lighter than your A. G. Russel and would be happy to make a trade with you. whistle

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
I'd like to have a 16 gauge double. I do have an old Stevens 94 16 gauge that was my first firearm. It was bought new for my Dad sometime in the early 1950's. A 12 gauge is a little on the thick side while a 20 can be tiny or toyish; but a 16 can be what Goldilocks was looking for, just right.
:
I absolutely agree. A 12 gauge double looks like a blunderbuss and a 20 looks like a cork gun. The 16 gauge is just right.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Only saw one late afternoon in my little acreage of woods, carrying the .22 Evanix PCP air rifle. Underestimated the range and the first shot Eun Jin dome broke both front legs; a quick second shot severed the spine. By the time I got to take a picture it was too dark for a good one of any sort, so I stuck the rifle on the front porch swing with the squirrel best I could do.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (10Glocks, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,847
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.