Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Who makes a reliable and functional night scope?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Dan, there's lots out there.

A good entry level scope is the Sightmark Wraith. $499. Sometimes you can find them on sale cheaper.

https://outdoorlegacygear.com/colle...igital-riflescope?variant=15986263326794

The IR light that comes with them is inadequate, in my opinion. Having a good IR light is like turning on the lights for a digital NV scope. wink

I use one of these and can see much further than I can shoot. I can see clearly 800 yards or so.

https://sniperhoglights.com/66lrx-gun-hunters-package-with-1-4-colors/

This video was made with the above equipment.

You can also use the scope in the daytime.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Details on rifle. Scope is great

Have fun.....j3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dan, the first decision to make is whether you want to go conventional NV or thermal.

The advantage to conventional NV is expense. There are decent NV scopes out there starting t well under $1k. The biggest disadvantage is that it relies on a either a certain amount of ambient light or infrared illumination. One of the big problems with IR illumination is that nearby objects reflect a lot of that illumination back to the scope and saturate it, essentially blinding the device. Also, muzzle flash tends to momentarily blind conventional NV.

The advantage to thermal is (IMO) two fold: there is no illuminator necessary, so it does not share that weakness with conventional NV. The other advantage is that animals stick out like a sore thumb, making it easy to quickly scan around you and detect any potential target. The disadvantage is cost. There's new stuff on the market I know nothing about, and I think some starts at less than $2k but don't take that to the bank. I'd say that if you spend around $3k you should be able to acquire something very usable.

My personal recommendation is Pulsar. My personal "brand to avoid" is ATN. I did all my buying several years ago, though, and a fresher perspective may be more helpful to you.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a Wraith on BBar's recommendation, along with a better Illuminator.

He did not steer me wrong.

It's a decent setup for very little pain, which was important to me. Just testing the water so I didn't want to put 2-3 grand into something I may not use much. We could not renew our lease this year and that put coyote hunting on hold. I have secured permission to deer hunt a couple parcels of private land, so the possibility may develop.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for the input, very much appreciated.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I also bought the Wraith after pestering Bbar a bit by PM. As with Vic, I didn't want a bigger investment in an unused piece of kit.

The Wraith works well on an AR, you'll want the scope close, with your eye at the eye cup.
The Hog light works well and it's now a complete package for the coyotes that visit the farm at night.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jimmy3
Details on rifle. Scope is great

Mostly on hogs I use my AR10 in .308.

Was shooting 165gr soft points.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
So do you need to purchase some type of scope mount to put this on your rifle?

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Huntz
So do you need to purchase some type of scope mount to put this on your rifle?

No.

It comes with a very sturdy built in mount that attaches to a standard picatinny rail.

If you are shooting a rifle that doesn't have a picatinny rail, as an AR type rifle does, you may have to get a picatinny rail base mount for your rifle that attaches where your rifle is drilled and tapped for scope rings.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Nice rig. What was your IR illuminator

Have fun.....j3
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Never mind I see it now….

Have fun.....j3
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks for the input, very much appreciated.

I bought my Wraith based on Barry’s recommendation. I did call Cameraland and they had the best price I could find. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

What are you up to?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Hogs and ‘yotes

I am..........disturbed.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
You can get military/LE grade night vison and thermal from TNVC. It is not cheap.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hogs and ‘yotes

Dan, I was sitting on one of my stands with the Wraith last year, and when it got dark, I switched to night vision.

I'd placed the Foxpro caller out and turned it on before getting situated, a couple of hours before. After it got dark, I activated the caller with the remote and sure enough, a coyote came right into the sendero.

Shot it with my .308. Usually, when calling coyotes I use a .223 with 55gr Vmax bullets, as it kills them quicker. But the .308 was what I had...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I also have a Wraith (and spoke with Barry about them). I got the 2-16, for the larger FOV. I’ve also bought a better light for it, but have yet to put it on. The “included” illuminator (I’ll disagree with Barry a bit, here), while not fantastic, is perfectly adequate out to 150 yards (and you may get 200 out of it). For guys who hunt wooded areas, it would likely do all they need. For open country, get a better light.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Can you use the wraith in the daytime?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by DrDeath
Can you use the wraith in the daytime?

Yes. View is pretty good, until you start going up in magnification. The zoom is “digital”, so the picture quickly becomes more “pixelated”, as mag increases. Stay at 2-4x (on the 2-16), and 4-8x (on the 4-32), and it’s good enough for killin’ stuff.

It has 3 modes to cycle through, 1) black/white night mode (2) green night mode (3) daytime mode

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

476 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 55 invisible), 2,917 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,558
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.