Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Last year I shot one about 2 miles in on the State forest in Potter Co. I managed to get the whole boned out deer on my MR Sawtooth and made it out in one trip thanks to the load shelf. Most of it was uphill. FWIW, If I had to do it again I'd make 2 trips out. I was spent, but happy.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Barney’s frame.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Hey guys. Interested in some advice. What are you guys using for back packing you quarters out of the woods? Looking for comfortable and well built. Will mainly be used for whitetails. Tore my mcl this year and could not find time for surgery. We head far back into the wilderness and im not quite sure i can make the drag yet. Figured this gets me back there with a plan to get my meat out. Thanks

It may have been mentioned, but if you don't have trekking poles I'd suggest getting them. I use them all the time in rough terrain packing. If I had a torn ACL I'd want all the stability I could get. Best of luck.

AHM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Hey, tinman.... Does your pack loadout change depending on roughness of country or if there is meat to pack?....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I'm rolling lol... yep... safety first!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 30338
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Hey guys. Interested in some advice. What are you guys using for back packing you quarters out of the woods? Looking for comfortable and well built. Will mainly be used for whitetails. Tore my mcl this year and could not find time for surgery. We head far back into the wilderness and im not quite sure i can make the drag yet. Figured this gets me back there with a plan to get my meat out. Thanks

It may have been mentioned, but if you don't have trekking poles I'd suggest getting them. I use them all the time in rough terrain packing. If I had a torn ACL I'd want all the stability I could get. Best of luck.
Most people think of trekking poles as something to help carry the weight. Where they shine is with helping you keep your balance. With 50+ lb on your back, it's easy to twist an ankle or knee if you aren't careful. The poles really help to catch a trip or fall before it happens.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This

Originally Posted by Moose_HNTR
Barney’s frame.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A sharp knife and strong legs.
I'm still doing it at 61 years old.
This was last month.

Proud NRA Life Member
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So, what setup do you use?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
sally, that looks awful, uhh, labor intensive.....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nice setup. So easy a dog can do it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
For just packing meat, Its tough to beat a bull pack. Very strong and very comfortable.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Salmonella
A sharp knife and strong legs.
I'm still doing it at 61 years old.
This was last month.

You use the buckskinners blanket too! The more you skin & bone the more workspace you’ve got. Walked downhill with lots of clean meat using the skin as my workspace.

Keep rockin’ at 61!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Nashville
Stone glacier packs and a pedal bike with panniers (depending on location). Easy to push a bike around and saves your back/knees.

When I hunted deer back east, we used wheelbarrows. They're made to push heavy loads and a big inflatable tire works well on any decent kind of trail. We'd go 3-4 miles in.
Some years ago, my partner and I used a wheelbarrow to pack an elk 4 miles. It was a 4x4 and we got it all in 1 trip. Granted, it was on an old logging road and 95% downhill. We used a rope so both of us could pull on the occasional uphill stretch.

Hint: don't try this with a cheap Walmart wheelbarrow. They'll fall apart with that much weight on rough trails. Only use a quality heavy duty one.

I use a wheelbarrow on whitetails all the time.

I used to have an old one I took the "legs" off and just had the wheel. REALLY makes it go through the brush better. Any kind of trail at all and you are set to travel.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I hunt with an Eberlestock X2 day pack, and can pack out an elk quarter on the first trip. In the truck is a Kelly meat hauler pack with a shelf that makes subsequent trips.

I also carry a light small plastic tarp to put meat on as I’m working up an animal.

Works for me…and I’m 67.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I use a milsurp ILBE pack and bag the game, bone in or bone out. It’s about the cheapest way to get an excellent suspension system with more capacity than I can carry.

Trekking poles are a given.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Eberlestock Just One is what I have been using the last 10 plus years.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by huntsman22
sally, that looks awful, uhh, labor intensive.....

Nice bucks Huntsman.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I left hundreds of dollars of kifaru in the closet in favor of an 80s vintage Dana Design Alpine. 6000ci capacity, single tubular bag construction, the bottom 1/3 easily cinches down to nothing for daypacking and humping meat, the dana "beavertail" good for strapping foam pads, boots or shoes, and layers when the inside volume is used up. Side pockets fit a rifle butt and compression straps keep it tight against the side of your pack, in a manner that allows easy rest-sitting on a rock or stump (the kifaru gunbearer requires doffing your rifle to sit on anything, which sucks when there's nothing handy to lean it on...). I use the gunbearer while hunting, but strap the rifle to the pack if packing a long ways to get the rifle out of my armpit (and the barrel out of my headlamp glare if hiking in the dark).

I bought that pack for $50 a few years back. This year I 3-tripped a raghorn elk plus hot tent camp out a few miles with it.

The packwheel options are pretty interesting. Easy rolling with a 29" wheel.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mystery Ranch Sawtooth worked great this year. Hauled out 3 elk & 2 deer this season farthest 4 miles in through rough terrain with 2 younger guys helping on the elk & 1 of the deer. 4th day of the hunt was 13 miles with 4,000 ft of climb 1/2 with a 90 lb pack - not bad for over 60 & 6,000 ft higher elevation than home. One guy had an MR metcalf that worked well. The other had an Alpz that won’t hold up for another season.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A good solid external frame and about 15 ft of line. Don't care for a shelf as they sometimes force one to elevate a heavy load.

1Minute
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 224th, 54 invisible), 2,087 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,567
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.