Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
For a deer, at least a deer thats not huge, any dang thing you have. Packed out deer and half caribou with a cheap bass pro pack no frame internal stiffeners. Not biggy. Though the deer weren't far and the caribou was only 5 miles of tundra. Ugh. LOL.

For a moose hindquarter I've not found it yet. Most of the guys use Barneys frames. I dont care for them that much. I keep trying my kifaru long hunter frame and shelf and its ok. Not what I kept hearing to my mind but still works.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
For a deer, at least a deer thats not huge, any dang thing you have. Packed out deer and half caribou with a cheap bass pro pack no frame internal stiffeners. Not biggy. Though the deer weren't far and the caribou was only 5 miles of tundra. Ugh. LOL.

For a moose hindquarter I've not found it yet. Most of the guys use Barneys frames. I dont care for them that much. I keep trying my kifaru long hunter frame and shelf and its ok. Not what I kept hearing to my mind but still works.

My SO Evolution frame is in another league for packing weight comfortably, compared to my Kifaru LH.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
By far the best packing method I have found is 3 strong young men to haul out my elk!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

My SO Evolution frame is in another league for packing weight comfortably, compared to my Kifaru LH.

Back profiles differ for sure and some folks just don't fit into a Kifaru frame. That said, they have come a long ways since the days of the Long Hunter.

My Hunter's frame fits me like a glove. I love it way better than any EXO, SO, Stone Glacier or Mystery Ranch I have ever tried.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Back profiles differ for sure and some folks just don't fit into a Kifaru frame. That said, they have come a long ways since the days of the Long Hunter.

My Hunter's frame fits me like a glove. I love it way better than any EXO, SO, Stone Glacier or Mystery Ranch I have ever tried.

Pack fitment is certainly individual. I have no experience with the newer Kifaru models, but I can definitively say that my SO is far more comfortable on my back than the LH, particularly when loaded down.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My meniscus is a little suspect too, so when I was deer hunting farther back in I took more trips with a lighter load on an external pack frame. I bolted two pieces of aluminum angle about 12" long to the bottom and used the front small wheel off a wheel chair mounted between the two angle pieces. When I'd get tired of carrying the meat, I could put it on the ground and wheel it like a mini wheel barrow or pull it like a one wheel wagon. Worked great. Horses for out west and elk. No way I was packing out one of those on my back.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Pack fitment is certainly individual. I have no experience with the newer Kifaru models, but I can definitively say that my SO is far more comfortable on my back than the LH, particularly when loaded down.

Nothing wrong with that at all.

If you do ever get the itch for another pack though just realize that modern Kifaru's have had a lot of R&D put into the frame fit, compared to their Long Hunter days.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Nothing wrong with that at all.

If you do ever get the itch for another pack though just realize that modern Kifaru's have had a lot of R&D put into the frame fit, compared to their Long Hunter days.

Good to know, thanks.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

485 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 42 invisible), 1,788 guests, and 1,038 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,614
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.