Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I just knew you were up to no good Jud.......Congrats on a nice one!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Judman
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Dang fine buck Jud - congrats. Will be back there in Wyoming next year looking for one like that - hopefully without the snow:)

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Got another goat tag in montucky, headed over there the 7th.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Eastern Montana
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

6.5 Creedmoor
Tikka T3x Superlite
130 gr. Sierra GameChanger
IMR 4451
273 yds.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got my antelope back from the taxidermy man...20 day turnaround. I'm pleased with it.
[Linked Image]

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
wow WL that's a whopper, what state did you hunt him in?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by handwerk

Wyoming

Thanks I thought he was a good one.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WL205
Originally Posted by handwerk

Wyoming

Thanks I thought he was a good one.

Beautiful buck and impressive turn time on the taxi work. Really like they way they did that one!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are a lot of real toads on this thread. Congrats to everyone! My buck was just average for the area but it was a great day to be afield in Montana.
6.5 CM, 139 Scenar.
[Linked Image]
Cheers,
Rex

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Here’s Eastern Colorado buck.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by MedRiver
Originally Posted by TomM1
Looks like an awesome hunt, great to see the whole family out there. Hope to take my daughter out for her first goat hunt next year…inspiring.

Congrats to all who posted.

IMO antelope are a great way to hunt with kids. Usually lots of action and if a stalk fails just go find another. The weather tends to be mild also.

+1000
I helped more than a few start hunting with antelope. They are a great intro!!!

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Godogs57

I shot him with my 1957 model 70, 270 Winchester. I even hate to say this because it will invariably turn into a giant pissing match, but I opened the door so to speak. I was shooting 140 grain VLD's. This model 70 is a particular rifle in that she only likes VLD's. Hates Noslers, Sierra's, TTSX's....despises them. VLD's? under a quarter inch at 100 yards 4 shot groups every time. For the statisticians, who, like me, don't place any validity on a statistical sample of one, I've shot over 50 head with this bullet. I have yet to have one drop right there....I have yet to have a single blood trail and I've lost two nice bucks from it blowing up on the shoulder (video'd). I'm sure the VLD crowd will try their best to flame me and I understand that.....that's how guys play here sometimes. Yet this rifle loves em so I keep giving them a chance.

He's dead. So the logical question to me will be "So how did it fail Mr. Bigshot?" My shot was 300-310 yards, icepicking the lungs. He ran, oh, about one hundred yards or so and did the little "circle and drop" thing with our son videoing it. He then got up and ran a few yards more and fell for good. When we got up to him he was still very much alive. The guide agreed with me that just a few seconds more and he'd be gone. Unfortunately that was not the case. I hate to see an animal suffer and my gun was back at the truck.....got to go back to the truck and finish the job. The guide grabbed his horns first and all hell broke loose. By that time I had gotten back with my rifle. We were looking at the buck saying "I'm not believing this....he's still kicking." I chamber a round and 2-3 minutes later he was still alive, with me then putting him down. I don't like that one bit....I should have immediately put him down but we were just not believing what we were seeing.

Some folks like VLD's and if you do, I'm your biggest fan. Sorry for being so wordy.....

You and I are on the same page with the bergers. 6.5mms, both 140 VLDs and 135 Classics. 15-20 different animals deer to elk sized and save one 600 yard elk and a 225 yard grizzly, I have yet to see "good" performance....just several "acceptable" and several more BAD.

I had an absolute shïtshow with a bull caribou 5 days ago involving 3 broadside chest shots. First at about 100 yards and two more at less than 50 yards. What a mess and I honestly felt bad watching the damn thing slowly die.

Why do you keep using them after 15 -20 "bad" results with this bullet? BS or insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again.Two stories I will never understand!

Last edited by Switch; 12/12/21.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Godogs57
[quote=Oregonmuley]Godogs - congrats that is a nice looking buck. And will be good eating for sure!!

If you don't mind sharing what bullet did you use?? I shot mine with a 120 BT out of my 7MM-08, and it did do a number on that antelope, a little more damage than I wanted since I really like eating antelopes:)

I shot him with my 1957 model 70, 270 Winchester. I even hate to say this because it will invariably turn into a giant pissing match, but I opened the door so to speak. I was shooting 140 grain VLD's. This model 70 is a particular rifle in that she only likes VLD's. Hates Noslers, Sierra's, TTSX's....despises them. VLD's? under a quarter inch at 100 yards 4 shot groups every time. For the statisticians, who, like me, don't place any validity on a statistical sample of one, I've shot over 50 head with this bullet. I have yet to have one drop right there....I have yet to have a single blood trail and I've lost two nice bucks from it blowing up on the shoulder (video'd). I'm sure the VLD crowd will try their best to flame me and I understand that.....that's how guys play here sometimes. Yet this rifle loves em so I keep giving them a chance.

He's dead. So the logical question to me will be "So how did it fail Mr. Bigshot?" My shot was 300-310 yards, icepicking the lungs. He ran, oh, about one hundred yards or so and did the little "circle and drop" thing with our son videoing it. He then got up and ran a few yards more and fell for good. When we got up to him he was still very much alive. The guide agreed with me that just a few seconds more and he'd be gone. Unfortunately that was not the case. I hate to see an animal suffer and my gun was back at the truck.....got to go back to the truck and finish the job. The guide grabbed his horns first and all hell broke loose. By that time I had gotten back with my rifle. We were looking at the buck saying "I'm not believing this....he's still kicking." I chamber a round and 2-3 minutes later he was still alive, with me then putting him down. I don't like that one bit....I should have immediately put him down but we were just not believing what we were seeing.

Some folks like VLD's and if you do, I'm your biggest fan. Sorry for being so wordy.....

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/XqnGjncJ/IMG-3960.jpg[/

Last edited by Switch; 12/13/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hendricks
[Linked Image]

Wyoming Red Desert, 2021.

hendricks, that's a dandy! Around Baggs?

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice thread.. I only had two doe tags this year.. Drew buck tags 44 years in a row.. Nothing but does the last few years..
This year I used a 700 .30/06 with 155 Lapuas.. Heart shot and he ran 200 yards.. I was beginning to think I had missed.. The other was with a 700 in 6mm Rem. 85 gr. Sierra hpbt.. crashed right there, hit her in the shoulders and spine..

Molon Labe
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 16 invisible), 1,645 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.