Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 17 18
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by southtexas
Is it not possible for you to have a different opinion that someone else without calling them names? Or, more likely, are your just trolling?

Sadly, that has been happening more and more.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
BP-B2

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
7x57 Mauser, Final answer. ,,Today

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is it not possible for you to have a different opinion that someone else without calling them names? Or, more likely, are your just trolling?

LB is just a troll. He's not to be taken serious

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
If you want to carry a heavier, less effective rifle that's a personal problem.

Guess again BOB ..... Google tells me that there's a whopping 3oz difference between the SA and LA. That's HUGE! <eye roll> Next you'll tell me that the time it takes to cycle a LA is prohibitive as well. It's not.

Furthermore BOB, If your hunting is "less effective" because you are carrying a non-magnum cartridge, you might want to re-think your hunting methods but then some guys have to carry a magnum for other reasons.

That's trivial - 300 WSM. Faster, more accurate, reloads better, all around superior. The only people cheering for the .30-06 are the ignorant, the nostalgia clowns, and jokers who forget their ammo and think there's some -30-06 for sale somewhere (there's not).

If you say that enough times, you might even believe that, but no one else will.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Deleted

Last edited by SuperCub; 10/24/21.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by szihn
Yeah, it's not new, but for all around use I doubt you can improve on the 30-06. Faster, more powerful, longer bullets, and so on........all are available.

But for the combination of length, weight, power vs recoil, span of bullet weights and types, and trajectory ,with each category being rated on a scale of 1-10 and then the total of each category being added up, I think the 30-06 is the single best big game cartridge ever designed. I can't see much room to improve on it without getting lower ratings (sometimes a lot lower) in one of the other categories.

Those newer higher BC bullets don’t hurt it a bit. Kinda makes it like a 6.5 CM with a little extra guts.

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by szihn
Yeah, it's not new, but for all around use I doubt you can improve on the 30-06.

That's trivial - 300 WSM. Faster, more accurate, reloads better, all around superior. The only people cheering for the .30-06 are the ignorant, the nostalgia clowns, and jokers who forget their ammo and think there's some -30-06 for sale somewhere (there's not).

Without a longer (heavier, more awkward) barrel it's a 30-06, feeds like shifting a fencepost in a bucket of gravel in most rifles, it's a tweener 06 and 300WM--kinda' like a 12 year old kid......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Wow, I guess I'm out of luck. I'm more of a varmint shooter. I only have 2 270s . and a 257 Bob.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Didn’t read any, not one post at all, except your title & want to agree that the .270 Winchester is indeed the single best cartridge ever invented if only to pair with a 375 H&H as the ultimate - undisputed pinnacle of 2 rifle batteries. 😜

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

YEP. That’s his M O.

I long ago tagged him Lame Brain and since simply
SKIP his handle & drivel.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, LB is a troll.

But can't resist noting that I have killed quite a bit of big game with the .300 WSM, starting even before it was officially introduced, from pronghorns to a 6x7 bull elk, and been right next to other hunters who shot a similar array of big game with it, both in North America and Africa. Aside from "field-testing" various .300 WSM rifles from different companies, have owned several, including one Winchester Model 70 assembled in Portugal, purchased at a local gun store several years ago, primarily to see how it worked. It worked fine--and I kept it for several years, mostly to have a .300 WSM on hand to "test" factory ammo and handloads.

What I "discovered" during all this hunting and shooting is the .300 WSM gets about 150-200 fps more with bullets from 165-200 grains than the .30-06, from the same length barrel, using the latest handloads--despite the .300 WSM's SAAMI pressure being higher. This means less than a 100-yard "advantage" in terminal velocity at typical hunting ranges when using the same bullet, and even less at 300+ yards--which is one reason field results were similar to the .30-06. (The other reason, of course, is that there ain't much difference in a wide array of cartridges when used with good bullets on big game.)

The big difference I could see in the .300 WSM was more recoil, and more expensive and often harder to find ammo and brass. Which is why I finally ended up selling my Model 70 .300 WSM earlier this year, one of the first rifles I purged from the collection as I started down-sizing toward semi-retirement. Guess I'll just have to struggle along with my NULA .30-06....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I could only have two rifles they would be the ‘06 and the aforementioned 22lr.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

“feeds like shifting a fencepost in a bucket of gravel in most rifles”

Well done Alpine.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
T Inman,

The .250 Savage was introduced just before World War One, and apparently quite a few people necked it down to .22 shortly afterward, sometimes with slight variations, though the first wildcatter to promote it much was Jerry Gebby, who trademarked the name .22 Varminter in 1937. Browning chambered it in factory rifles in 1963, while it was still a wildcat, but it wasn't until 1965 that Remington adopted it a factory round and started making ammunition.

Variations on the .257 Roberts (the 7x57 necked down) also appeared long before Remington made it factory round in 1934. Evidently several wildcatters came up with versions in the 1920s, though Ned Roberts usually gets the historical credit. His cartridge (which he called the .25 Roberts) had a slightly different shoulder angle than Remington's version.

The first person to promote a wildcat usually gets the credit for developing it, even though the basic is a very old one. The 6x57 Mauser, for instance, appeared as a commercial hunting round in the 1890s, but Warren Page (Field & Stream's shooting columnist) "developed" a very similar wildcat round in the mid-20th century. Remington eventually introduced their version as the .244 Remington in the mid-1950s, with a -12 rifling twist which was too slow to always stabilize commercial 100-grain bullets. But the name got changed to the 6mm Remington a few years later when Remington started putting a 1-9 twist in the barrels.

Gotcha. That makes sense. Thanks for that.

I think you also forgot the .30-40 Krag....I seem to remember you mentioning that you killed something with it, but I could be mistaken.

I've killed deer with all four of the Savage rounds in 1899s, as well as the .30-40 Krag and a few other ancient cartridges. I enjoy the hell out of newer stuff but sometimes like to break something old out too, just for the heck of it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing quite like the older rifles and rounds. When I get done with this .308 I’ll be looking for another 8x57…. In a ‘98 of course…

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, LB is a troll.

But can't resist noting that I have killed quite a bit of big game with the .300 WSM, starting even before it was officially introduced, from pronghorns to a 6x7 bull elk, and been right next to other hunters who shot a similar array of big game with it, both in North America and Africa. Aside from "field-testing" various .300 WSM rifles from different companies, have owned several, including one Winchester Model 70 assembled in Portugal, purchased at a local gun store several years ago, primarily to see how it worked. It worked fine--and I kept it for several years, mostly to have a .300 WSM on hand to "test" factory ammo and handloads.

What I "discovered" during all this hunting and shooting is the .300 WSM gets about 150-200 fps more with bullets from 165-200 grains than the .30-06, from the same length barrel, using the latest handloads--despite the .300 WSM's SAAMI pressure being higher. This means less than a 100-yard "advantage" in terminal velocity at typical hunting ranges when using the same bullet, and even less at 300+ yards--which is one reason field results were similar to the .30-06. (The other reason, of course, is that there ain't much difference in a wide array of cartridges when used with good bullets on big game.)

The big difference I could see in the .300 WSM was more recoil, and more expensive and often harder to find ammo and brass. Which is why I finally ended up selling my Model 70 .300 WSM earlier this year, one of the first rifles I purged from the collection as I started down-sizing toward semi-retirement. Guess I'll just have to struggle along with my NULA .30-06....

Poor MD, I can't imagine the struggle with a NULA. Someday....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I think you also forgot the .30-40 Krag....I seem to remember you mentioning that you killed something with it, but I could be mistaken.

I've killed deer with all four of the Savage rounds in 1899s, as well as the .30-40 Krag and a few other ancient cartridges. I enjoy the hell out of newer stuff but sometimes like to break something old out too, just for the heck of it.

Yep, forgot the Krag. Changed it.

Should have consulted my hunting notes instead of relying on memory!

Thanks,
John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Wow, I’m surprised at number of posts that have responded to my “Ultimate” thread!
As JB noted I initiated this topic as a salute to the fine 257 Roberts which has served me well since the early 70’s. I have taken some fine creatures with the Roberts and will post some photos of them if I ever figure out how to do so. Claims of success without photos certainly can raise an eyebrow.
Having said that I have typically tried to tailor the rifle/cartridge to the game I’m hunting. For example a 257 Roberts was not taken to the Alaskan Peninsula to hunt Brown Bear, a 300 H&H was.
On a mixed bag hunt to British Columbia I took my Winchester 270 and glad to have done so. I saw two enormous Bears that fortunately left the country when they winded us.
I guess what I was trying to communicate is that for the deer/pronghorn/sheep that most of us hunt, I have found the Roberts most useful. Granted when I included sheep in that category I was excluding hunting sheep where nasty bears may be encountered.
Jack O’Connor once quoted an Indian who said, any gun good shootem good.
That sums it up in my book, good hunting whatever you carry!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Desertranger
...Jack O’Connor once quoted an Indian who said, any gun good shootem good. That sums it up in my book, good hunting whatever you carry!

An excellent summation. We live and hunt in so many different places, chasing all kinds of game. Everyone is gonna have a fave, even if it changes occasionally. 😃

Shoot 'em if you got 'em!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I have always had a soft spot for the Roberts, but never got one. I shoot a 260 Rem, but do not push it hard. My load for this year is a 110 grain Hammer bullet at 2985 fps. Should do about as good as the Bob, but i know, it still isn't one! Some day I want a 257 Roberts or a 250-3000 savage! Need to scratch the quarter bore itch!

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
Page 5 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
593 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 160user, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,700 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,737
Posts18,401,102
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.