Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 338reddog

im not sure if I misread but according to his site the action area is made out of epoxy which has been my experience. The site does say that some inlets are molded in. As to the how the mold lays possibly things have changed but the ones I have finished were all left right halve with the parting line down the middle. Not that it makes much difference. In my business I made literally thousands of molds and seems the logical way to lay the mold. Either way he makes a good product that has served me well

Interesting; I have looked at a bunch of Brown stocks and they were all split top to bottom, with an upper and lower half and the inletting done in glass. But maybe he does them different ways for different inlets.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by TX35W
Interesting; I have looked at a bunch of Brown stocks and they were all split top to bottom, with an upper and lower half and the inletting done in glass. But maybe he does them different ways for different inlets.

My experience also. This is an older blank, so perhaps things have changed, but you can see the upper and lower.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]best seafood in wilmington nc area
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by WiFowler
I wonder if they (Brown Precision) still inlet a stock for the Rem 600/660?

They do.

"Giving freaks a pass is the oldest tradition in Montana."
Thomas McGuane
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TexasBBQ
Originally Posted by WiFowler
I wonder if they (Brown Precision) still inlet a stock for the Rem 600/660?

They do.

Thanks for the update. Guess I'll have to contact Mark and get one (at least) ordered. Got a couple of 600s/660s that are candidates for new/better stocks.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm a fan of their stocks too.
Mark also built me, 3 fine hunting rifles. Also have their stocks on other rifles.

They all work great for me, I wish Mark Brown and Company all the best.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have one on a 660. Bought it around 1989, no idea what model.
Shortened it to work for me wearing typical deer hunting clothes,
It's my favorite stock. Probably my second favorite barreled action.

It was seamed vertically.

My first ever attempt at that kind of thing,
hunting season was coming, it got a flat black rattle can finish.

Several years later, I took it apart and sanded it better, filled a few
spots. Got busy. Hunting season was coming, put it back together.

Left it like that for over 10 years.
The factory brown epoxy, Bondo, tiger hair, flat black paint, and the
carbon fiber look of Bondo in the little divots

Was a bit homely.

Finally did it right with a textured black paint.

Wish I hadn't. Can't always have the prettiest gun in a group,
But mine was always the ugliest.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I had one back about 25 years ago and it was the "Brown Pounder", great stock with zero issues.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have always considered them to be the worst of the fiberglass stocks; from a quality standpoint. The pounder was very light because it used very little resin and kevlar cloth. I have had to add 2 ounces or more to the stock to fill voids in the action area. I will never forget the Brown Precision stock I had, which used a hot dog wrapper as filler in the fore arm. The words, "HOT DOG" could be plainly seen through the glass.
Lee Six was Chet Brown's partner, early on until they split in the mid-70's. I always felt that the stocks from Lee Six were a much better stock than the Brown Precision. Today, I much prefer the Bansner stocks. I still have some BR stocks, from Brown and Lee Six, which I bought in the late '70's. GD

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I only messed with one lee six stock. The bedding was not done very well and barrel channel was way off. Both were a fairly easy fix. Always figured you can get a bad one in anything.
As to Browns I have never had a issue other than a few unfinished ones needed alot of pin holes filled.
The last one I have was for a
Rem 700 but did not have the actioned milled. I have inlet for a 722. I may further fit it for my Rem 725.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Possibly for the Rem custom shop. I dont remember the model 70’s as I only did about 3 and about 10 remington’s
A buddy of mine was friends with Chet and bought a lot of over runs some were primed, most were left handed for Rem 700 and some had no inlet. Lowest price I paid was $35.
Jeff

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I really like my PoundR. The only complaint was it took me 10 paint jobs to get it right. Finally I settled on this:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That wasn't Brown's fault though

Ergo's are perfect for me and the stock is damn lightweight. Brings that pre 64 model 70 338wm down to 7 pounds even.. Ergo's help to mitigate recoil. Grip thickness and length fit me like a glove. I won't be getting rid of it anytime soon.. I've had bansner's too. There's no comparison..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

232 members (360bull, 1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 416RigbyHunter, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 36 invisible), 1,460 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,448
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.