Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dpd
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Ram will have the best ride empty, the 5.7 hemi and 8 speed has proven to be reliable. I've had a 2011 and a 2015 and no complaints. It's a little more saggy in the rear with a heavy load.

Ford - 5.0 is good, some debate over the eco-boost. Still running leaf springs in the the rear and is most expensive of the big 3.

GM - well just look up the MDS cam failure epidemic. I wouldn't touch anything new made by GM aside from the c8 vette .

Hey because of the chip shortage the DFM is inoperable. grin

I would be leery of a Ford 5.0 because the cylinder liners are sprayed in. My ecoboost was bought back with 6k on the odometer.

Toyota Tundra no thanks and I owned a 2017.

Ok where can I find out about the cylinder liners being sprayed in ?

Ford uses Plasma Transfer Wire Arc cylinder liners in the 5.0 v8. People are pushing those stock bottom ends to 1k HP in Mustangs so I wouldn't worry about the 5.0 holding up. They had a few 5.0 production issues in 18-19, but it's good to go now.

GM is having a fit with all their V8's collapsing lifters and eating cams by the trainload and parts are scarce to fix them. So that leaves Ford or Ram, both are good trucks in my opinion, I'd be ok owning either one for 1/2 ton duties. If GM unfuggs their engine issues, that might be a decent choice also, but that could be a while.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
GB1

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Toyota if new, Ford if 2014 or older.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by dpd
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Ram will have the best ride empty, the 5.7 hemi and 8 speed has proven to be reliable. I've had a 2011 and a 2015 and no complaints. It's a little more saggy in the rear with a heavy load.

Ford - 5.0 is good, some debate over the eco-boost. Still running leaf springs in the the rear and is most expensive of the big 3.

GM - well just look up the MDS cam failure epidemic. I wouldn't touch anything new made by GM aside from the c8 vette .

Hey because of the chip shortage the DFM is inoperable. grin

I would be leery of a Ford 5.0 because the cylinder liners are sprayed in. My ecoboost was bought back with 6k on the odometer.

Toyota Tundra no thanks and I owned a 2017.

Ok where can I find out about the cylinder liners being sprayed in ?

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicAdvice/comments/9pm5iy/ptwa_spray_cylinder_bore_liner_ford_engines/

That is one source. Thru someone I knew they traded a 2017 F150 5.0 because the cylinders were scored. It had roughly 20k on it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Reba
only Ford did not take Government money to bail out. Neither GM or RAM would still be in business.

These threads are always funny, especially when the Ford folks come out of the woodwork with the above sentiment. The above isn’t even close to being true. Nothing wrong with liking a Ford because it’s a Ford, but basing your preference on some sense of moral outrage that isn’t even true doesn’t make a lot of sense. But if it makes you happier about your choice…

Ford took bailouts too

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by K1500
Originally Posted by Reba
only Ford did not take Government money to bail out. Neither GM or RAM would still be in business.

These threads are always funny, especially when the Ford folks come out of the woodwork with the above sentiment. The above isn’t even close to being true. Nothing wrong with liking a Ford because it’s a Ford, but basing your preference on some sense of moral outrage that isn’t even true doesn’t make a lot of sense. But if it makes you happier about your choice…

Ford took bailouts too

Did you read the article? It says that Ford took LOANS from the government. Just as other automakers did, including Toyoda. Loans have to be paid back - bailouts don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I drive a 2010 Ram 1500 Laramie with the hemi, love the interior and most everything about the truck, only issue is having to deal with the broken rear exhaust manifold bolts, which I have had to have replaced twice on the passenger side and once on the drivers side and it needs it again. Will be getting another down the road and hopefully they have fixed that issue.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
FORD dodge Chevy anything yota..my buddy had a Toyota he didn't have to wait for the frame to rust out because the 2018 frame had a stress crack very brittle steel in them frames.

Last edited by garddogg56; 10/25/21.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by jdunham
I usually buy used and let someone else eat the depreciation. I bought a new 2021 Tundra in January just before things were starting to get crazy, the used trucks were literally the same price as the new with no warranty. It has gotten way crazier since then and I could sell my year old truck right now for more than I bought it for. I would if I didn’t have to replace it, truck lots are empty here.
I went Toyota for the reliability after owning 2 Silverado Duramax trucks the last 15 years. Both were pre emission trucks and were great, just couldn’t justify a diesel anymore. Have friends who own all the different brands and the Toyotas have all been bulletproof in a 1/2 ton. Totally happy with the Tundra and would do it again in a heartbeat. YMMV

Buying decent used was my method as well. Buy something with five six real good years left in it after about three start looking for something to replace it. My 2012 F 150 was right at the point of dump it or keep it til it died. Nothing decent to be had used looked for about six months. Everything was a couple three years old and nearly the same as new. Nothing in that five to seven year old range which was kinda the sweet spot. Acceptable miles overall still in good condition. Might need some little things and getting to the end on some of the higher dollar consumables. But if you do your own work the costs were acceptable.

The 2012 gave me about 35000 miles and two and a half years. Traded it for a 1000 bucks less than I paid.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
As others have said here I don't think you can go wrong with any of the big three brand new. I also wouldn't hesitate to buy a new Toyota or Nissan. If Honda made a half ton I might be in their corner as well.

I drive a 20' crew cab Chevy 5.3. I've had several (7) since 97' and the only issue I ever had was with an 06' when the 4wd went out under warranty. The dealer in my small town is a Chevy dealer and I'm personal friends with the owner so that's my go to. My son has a 16' Dodge and the 5.7 is a beast but he has had to deal with body deterioration a couple of times already. I can't speak as to Ford but see a lot of them around.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
which dealer has the best service department

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

194 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 280ACKIMP, 35, 22 invisible), 1,416 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,224
Posts18,447,532
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.