Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
The Hmong have cleaned the State out of our Gray and Fox squirrels. Come to think of it the chipmunks and Reds are on the decline also.

WS

GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Good to see ArmedandFree posting.

I am MAGA.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
They just won't allow shooting them on the courthouse lawn? grin

On our courthouse grounds they have some but not a huntable number.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Around here foxes are the only squirrels we have. We have reds but we have to drive a ways to the mountains to find them. These foxes were introduced for their 'cuteness' and have become a real pain in the rear. I shoot them in my orchard as they're really hard on fruit. I never get enough to eat, though. They come 1 at a time.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No fox squirrels here only runnin' greys. Thing is they are all ate up with wolves or warbles. I kill them for the cat and dogs.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I like to take the gray’s, fry em’ up, and then put them in a baking dish and cover with cream of mushroom soup.
Next I put them in the oven on 275 for a couple of hours.
Mashed potatoes, green beans and corn rounds it all out.
First class comfort food!

Last edited by JTrapper73; 10/25/21.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Tossed the 22 in the truck before work this A.M. After work I took a walk on the edge of some woods. There's a narrow tractor trail along the woods with standing corn in the field. 30 minutes and 5 squirrels, that's cheating. I could have gotten more, but 5 was enough. The woods are loaded with squirrel, almost no one hunts them anymore. These are fox squirrels, we never see greys around here.

You’re in Ohio so you I’m assuming y’all have the Midwestern variety of fox squirrel. They have finally reached the northwest corner of North Carolina. I’ve seen them in both Ashe and Allegheny counties which border TN and VA. cute little devils but I wouldn’t be above eating them. They have similar coloration to that of the southeastern strain but not the size. Still noticeably larger than the grays.

BTW squirrel gumbo is mighty fine too. Pan fry the parts then debone. Then add it to whatever your version of gumbo is. Just don’t forget the filet seasoning (powdered sassafras). Spoon it over some Zatarains white rice and break out a bottle of good red. Don’t forget the hot sauce. UmmmUmmmUm

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by EMoore
JC got his squirrels trained to drink Worcestershire sauce so they're already marinated from the inside out 🤣

The big town over west has some squirrels.

They wont even let you get after them with a sling shot. They would rather you took your commodity cheese and went home.

Lotta places up in E WA where I used to live that were the same way. They never made it down to where I lived, had they I think a nice quite trap or 6 might have made for a fine dinner.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
You guys in Minnesota should tell the Hmong that blacks taste like squirrels. Save the squirrels and get rid of some Lee he’s. Edk

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We’re covered up with greys and fox squirrels

Right now the ground is covered like ball bearings with gazillions of acorns.

Holding off till after deer

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My Dad grew up poor…real poor. I remember bringing home 5 or 6 fatties to fry and simmer. He told me he’d eaten so many just tryin to survive the late 30’s that he’d just soon eat an alleycat!

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn

I knew a guy that made squirrel brains and eggs . I tried it once but not on my list of favorites .

That was a thang in Virginny back in the day. My g'ma could fry squirrel, any way it could be fried.

There was a campfire thread a few years back on squirrel brain and scrambled eggs.

That's some good hillbilly eatin.'

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Me and the kids get after em pretty good. Likely start hunting them this weekend. My youngest is pretty wicked with a .22.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,068 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,080
Posts18,463,886
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.