Hop To
Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
[/quote] Poor MD, I can't imagine the struggle with a NULA. Someday....[/quote]

I particularly liked this comment from LameBrain on NULAs:

"Yeah, let's spend $4000 on a push feed, non-free-floated rifle notorious for accuracy issues that only takes [bleep] cartridge triggers."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BP-B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

"Yeah, let's spend $4000 on a push feed, non-free-floated rifle notorious for accuracy issues that only takes [bleep] cartridge triggers."

Oh, sorry, it's only $3600 for the non-magnum and $3900 for the magnum. So we've finally found something the .30-06 is good for - getting a poorly though out and absurdly overpriced rifle a little cheaper.

You can use that $300 to buy ammo at Bob's Gas Station in the bizarre yet often discussed "I forgot my ammo" situation the .30-06 fangirls like to bring up laugh

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 10/25/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
And one again we discover the ,30-06 fangirls are the most sensitive out there. When the failure of their garbage cartridge is pointed out, the cry and whine. But they can't defend it, because the .30-06 lacks any advantages..

I don’t even have an ‘06 presently. I bet you were not notified of your class reunion either.

Again, it’s not so much what you say, though there is that, but how you say it. It's tough to go through life angry and spiteful.

cheer up!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
And one again we discover the ,30-06 fangirls are the most sensitive out there. When the failure of their garbage cartridge is pointed out, the cry and whine. But they can't defend it, because the .30-06 lacks any advantages..

I don’t even have an ‘06 presently. I bet you were not notified of your class reunion either.

Again, it’s not so much what you say, though there is that, but how you say it. It's tough to go through life angry and spiteful.

cheer up!

Oh, I'm not angry at all. I'm enjoying laughing at the .30-06 fangirls laugh

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Yep, no doubt about it, the '06 is a failure. I don't think it's gonna catch on.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by smokepole

Yep, no doubt about it, the '06 is a failure. I don't think it's gonna catch on.

A passing fad...?

Like smokeless powder...?

DF

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
[/quote] Poor MD, I can't imagine the struggle with a NULA. Someday....

[/quote]
MD... my comment was jealous sarcasm. Mostly jealousy ☺️

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
haazrob,

Oh, I know your comment was "jealous sarcasm"!

I also know LameBrain's statement means he has no experience with NULAs.

One I remember in particular Melvin built for Ross Seyfried, for a wildcat based on the .416 Rigby,. Can't remember exactly what the case was necked down to, but seem to recall .338. Ross wrote an article about "Miss America" (his name for the rifle) in Guns & Ammo, reporting on the small groups at a mile. The U.S. military was so impressed they asked if they could test it.

Ross sent it off--but then they refused to send it back, saying the results were so good they'd decided to appropriate the rifle. Ross finally had to contact one of the Colorado members of Congress to get it back....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lame Brain, what’s it feel like having Jimmy Buffett write a song about you?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by southtexas

According to the Winchester website the M70 FWTs in 30/06 and 300WSM both weigh 7lbs. The WSM is 1.5" longer due to its 24" bbl.

The higher velocity of the WSM (180gr Power Points) results it about 2" less drop at 300 yards. So for the vast majority of hunters, what is the advantage?

Oh, perhaps the advantage is the 20% increase in recoil?

Let's see if you an respond without childish insults...

Short actions are lighter. That's just a fact. The WSM also saves you on EFFECTIVE barrel length because the length that covers the case is wasted. So It is lighter both for the barrel and the action. Those are basic facts which anyone should be able to understand.

Drop is irrelevant. Buy a rangefinder. The reason you shoot a faster round is to reduce your windage and therefore susceptibility to wind call error and to extend the range of reliable expansion.

If you are looking for reduced recoil buy a 6mm Creedmoor.

Gotta admit, one thing you are good at is splitting hairs. The significant difference in weight of a short action??? Can't be too much if the FWT M70 weighs the same in both cartridges.

And the increased EFFECTIVE barrel length?? Try measuring what the the difference in MV means in drop (or wind deflection) at "normal" ranges in the real world, in hunting conditions.

You could use either cartridge for a lifetime of hunting and never notice a difference in effectiveness in the real world.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
It's very amusing reading these threads. There is probably no better cartridge than the 30-06. Don't get me wrong...I load and shoot the 30-30, 32 WS, 303 Sav, 300 Sav, 243, 6.5 CM, 7-08, 270, 22 CHeetah MKII and 30-06. They are all great cartridges. But , realistically, the 30-06 is the most consistent, dynamic cartridge of all of these. It's great to be a Loony enough to spend my time and $ shooting all of these but it I had to choose just one...it would be the 30-06. If you live in North America....you can cover everything with it. But it's still fun playing with these other calibers...hence the loonyism.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
True.

When are you going to fiddle with the big bores? 😜

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bobcat85
It's very amusing reading these threads. There is probably no better cartridge than the 30-06. Don't get me wrong...I load and shoot the 30-30, 32 WS, 303 Sav, 300 Sav, 243, 6.5 CM, 7-08, 270, 22 CHeetah MKII and 30-06. They are all great cartridges. But , realistically, the 30-06 is the most consistent, dynamic cartridge of all of these. It's great to be a Loony enough to spend my time and $ shooting all of these but it I had to choose just one...it would be the 30-06. If you live in North America....you can cover everything with it. But it's still fun playing with these other calibers...hence the loonyism.

I agree. When I set out to begin acquiring big game rifles of my own I was urged to go with the .30-06, but it just seemed so "pedestrian," probably because it was and is so common. I avoided it for years, but as we discussed in a thread a few months ago I read about the cartridge described as a new wildcat named the .300 Whelen. That article gave me a new perspective and I began to think it would be a very good one to use. When a BACO Model 70 in .30-06 came my way in a swap I took it with no misgivings and it has turned out to be a very good shooter. It also happens to be my "lucky" rifle these days...got a hog with it one afternoon and a coyote less than an hour later. On paper, maybe it isn't impressive when compared to some of the larger cartridges but in the field, it is *all that* IMO.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
haazrob,

One I remember in particular Melvin built for Ross Seyfried, for a wildcat based on the .416 Rigby,. Can't remember exactly what the case was necked down to, but seem to recall .338. Ross wrote an article about "Miss America" (his name for the rifle) in Guns & Ammo, reporting on the small groups at a mile. The U.S. military was so impressed they asked if they could test it.

Ross sent it off--but then they refused to send it back, saying the results were so good they'd decided to appropriate the rifle. Ross finally had to contact one of the Colorado members of Congress to get it back....

All I’ll say is my NULA is the most accurate, easy to load for rifle in my collection. It’s a 7-08. My advice to someone who could afford it, even if stretching, who wanted only one rifle, would be to get a NULA in 30-06. There’s not much you couldn’t do with that.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
haazrob,

All I’ll say is my NULA is the most accurate, easy to load for rifle in my collection. It’s a 7-08. My advice to someone who could afford it, even if stretching, who wanted only one rifle, would be to get a NULA in 30-06. There’s not much you couldn’t do with that.

But, the old '06 is so boring, it just keeps on killin' stuff, year in and year out.

And a boringly accurate rifle that you don't have to mess with, nothing to tweak...

That's enough to cause Loony nightmares.... shocked

DF

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
haazrob,

But, the old '06 is so boring, it just keeps on killin' stuff, year in and year out.

And a boringly accurate rifle that you don't have to mess with, nothing to tweak...

That's enough to cause Loony nightmares.... shocked

DF

😂😂😂😂😂

Al

Spend your life wisely.
B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
True.

When are you going to fiddle with the big bores? 😜

Dont know.....never had a need to. Been having too much fun with the small bores!
Had a 45-70 once, but here in NC...did not need it so it went down the road. Same with 7mmMag. Now I'm too old to adventure out into the wilderness like I use to so I stick with things I know and enjoy. My bucket list is often filled reading about you younger guys doing the hard core stuff. I live it cause I know I'll never personally do it but can vision it thru your discriptions!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
😜[/quote] Had a 45-70 once, but here in NC...did not need it so it went down the road.![/quote]

Apparently you're not familiar with the Rifle Loony Motto: "Need has nothing to do with it!"

John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
😜
Had a 45-70 once, but here in NC...did not need it so it went down the road.![/quote]

Apparently you're not familiar with the Rifle Loony Motto: "Need has nothing to do with it!"
[/quote]

Absolutely nothing!

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Wow. I am not a big Winchester 70 guy but that is gorgeous.

Without reading this whole thread, what round is that?

As far as NULAs, I am considering one as a dedicated sheep rifle. Also looking at Snowy Mountain Rifles. Lots to decide.......

Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
727 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,715 guests, and 1,376 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.