Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Thats the same kind of silly mentality that people use to justify not wearing a seatbelt.

What if a meteorite lands in the highway??

Espescially as people age......golly officer...I just didn't see that van of kids in the other lane when I crossed the lane.

I am MAGA.
GB1

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Well Jim, perhaps you have never been there. I have several times. Plus two times of avoiding intentional impacts by other drivers on the freeway. I assume you are familiar with the "swoop and squat" insurance scam.

I am sure that I am not the only driver on the road who drives defensively and constantly looks for an avenue of escape.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
100 pound deer and the possibility of exiting your lane, losing control and killing yourself and others.......yeah. Hit the fugging deer. Sheesh.

If Jeff Bezos [bleep] of Discovery lands on the interstate infront of you....well, do what you have to do.

I am MAGA.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have a ranch hand on my GMC 3/4 ton. I have hit 3 deer in the last two years. I lose about a 1 mpg with it on on a big block gasser.
The 3 impacts will still break the headlight plastic mounts.

Most of the time people run the lighter brush guards to save the radiator, not the vehicle. If you can save the radiator, it saves immediate headache.

I think Move bumpers are pretty well built also.

Last edited by KRAKMT; 10/26/21.
FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
I have a Ranch Hand on my diesel Ram to keep deer from getting into the radiator.
I pull trailers a lot and your ability to steer or stop your way out of an animal collision is severely diminished..
If anything compromises your coolant system you are immediately a camper.

Never...ever ....try to maneuver away from a deer.

Scrub off some speed if you can....but stay centered in your lane.

Yep. Plus if you hit a deer it’s handled under comprehensive, if you swerve and miss the deer and hit something else it’s handled under collision.

I just hit one a few days ago. I called my insurance company, State Farm, who told me that if the deer hit me it was covered under comprehensive but since I hit the deer it was covered by collision. I guess the insurance companies have found another way to screw people.

IC B2

B
bbassi Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by FWP
I have a Ranch Hand on my diesel Ram to keep deer from getting into the radiator.
I pull trailers a lot and your ability to steer or stop your way out of an animal collision is severely diminished..

Yep. Plus if you hit a deer it’s handled under comprehensive, if you swerve and miss the deer and hit something else it’s handled under collision.

I just hit one a few days ago. I called my insurance company, State Farm, who told me that if the deer hit me it was covered under comprehensive but since I hit the deer it was covered by collision. I guess the insurance companies have found another way to screw people.

My insurance is state farm too and that's BS. I don't have collision and they covered it under comprehensive. They already paid me $5800+ with more coming. I'd call back and get a different rep on the phone.

Last edited by bbassi; 10/26/21.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bbassi
Originally Posted by FWP

My insurance is state farm too and that's BS. they already paid me $5800+ w more coming. I'd call back and get a different rep on the phone.

Yes, or call your state insurance commission/board. Total BS

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I have a Ranchhand Bumper and guard. Hit 1 deer so far. Killed deer not a mark on my truck. Stepson hit 3 different ones with his. No damage to his truck at all. People don't try to force their way in front of you in heavy traffic either

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've had or still have several ranch trucks w the ranch hand bumpers. They work well and are fairly cheap. I went w a Buckstop replacement bumper and guard on my last superduty. They are extremely heavy and nice looking. Color match to my truck as well. Highly recommend looking into that brand.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I slow down when I see deer

Instead of doing 80 with 9 of them feeding along the shoulder of the road

I also look way ahead, I dont stare at the bumper of the person I’m tail gaiting like Mr McGoo

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a claim once with a guy that hit a cow.

“That cow was on the side of the road and as soon as I got there it JUMPED, right in front of me”

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

“That cow was on the side of the road and as soon as I got there it JUMPED, right in front of me”

I hit my own cow once.

Totaled the pickup. Cow was fine.

They are quite resilient.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’ve got a Herd aluminum bumper/grillguard on my power wagon, and the ranch hand 1/2 ton model on my 1/2 ton gmc&chevy. All have hit deer. And all are still great. The ranch hands went on th half tons same scenario. Wife hits a deer, truck is smashed, use the insurance money that would go towards the oem bumper and put it towards the REAL bumper, and cash out of pocket to make up the difference.

Not having a real bumper and brush guard is a no go for me anymore. It’s the difference between being able to drive home, or be stuck in bumfugk Egypt and paying a million bucks for a tow.

Swerving to avoid deer is one of the stupidest damn pieces of advice I’ve read on here.

MAGA
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
How much does the weight of an effective guard that far forward alter the ride and handling in slippery conditions?

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

I hit my own cow once.

Totaled the pickup. Cow was fine.

They are quite resilient.

I was given two longhorns as part of a land deal. Gave them away when the cow kept charging the pickup head on.

I've always called them cattle guards (just like the ones you drive over), but I also have been know to call sorghum, maize. Thinking of buying one because I do a lot of driving on country roads in the dark.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by lvmiker
How much does the weight of an effective guard that far forward alter the ride and handling in slippery conditions?

mike r

Doesn't seem to make much practical difference.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Be aware a lot of grill guards will interfere with the collision avoidance / automatic braking system - unless specifically designed for your model/year of truck.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
In Australia, they are called "bonk" bars because of the sound made when you hit a kangaroo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
I slow down when I see deer

Instead of doing 80 with 9 of them feeding along the shoulder of the road

I also look way ahead, I dont stare at the bumper of the person I’m tail gaiting like Mr McGoo

Yep. Slow way down as soon as you see a critter or shining eyes on the ditchbank.

And I like ARB bumpers, like others have already mentioned.

Now with even more aplomb
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

None in me experience. That being said, I splurged for the aluminum on my ram because the front end is weak anyway, and the 1/2 ton version of the ranch hands for my 1/2 tons because they are built lighter. I am not a huge fan of the ranch hands, as they rust pretty quick. But they offered a 1/2 ton model and after probably 4-5 deer or so between them now I’m not complaining.

I’ve no doubt hanging a homemade job welded up or a bigger commercial bumper in a 1/2 ton would have negative consequences at least in front end wear if not handling.

Added benefit if some [bleep] tourist break checks me or cuts me off I’m pretty confident I can fugk up their day.

MAGA
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1eyedmule, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 22250rem, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,210 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,802
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.