Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#16563744 10/26/21
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
quite a few guys here with 50 or more guns in their collections, a couple with many more. They'll read, critique, and glean what they will from others, yet post none of their own questions, photos, hunts, insights, etc.

Why is that?

As a community of collectors or shooters, we all gain when members contribute.

LOL
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not sure I agree with that. Loggah posted a question this week about caliber markings in barrel addresses. Fug posted a list of 99DE and 99PE production a month ago. Fug sent pictures of bayonets for another thread recently.

But I will say that it doesn't seem that uncommon for larger collectors to post a question or pictures and get almost no feedback on it. 3 replies to a post about Roe Clark who served as Savage historian for 25 years? 4 replies to a post giving counts of DE's and PE's made each year?

A guy can get tired of posting important information and not getting any appreciation for it.

Larger collectors have probably seen more 99s and have fewer questions but more answers - and the questions they have are harder to answer.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And I know GeneB has quite a few 22's.. grin
And he posts information, pictures and stuff all the time for people. Now, a lot of it is over the head of some of us, but he still puts it up for us.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Yeah, this isn't an easy issue to address. Not everyone is tech savvy or wants to 'put themselves out there'

If they come to the water hole they can drink or not from my perspective.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
with my limited knowledge of 99's, I don't have much to contribute, however, I do ask ?'s

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Larger collectors have probably seen more 99s and have fewer questions but more answers -

yet rarely post either. Sometimes, sure, but not often. One poster here has a great collection but all he does is grump about schit and complain about how we're all tightwads and won't spend any money. I should have him talk to my wife about that last one, she might have a different opinion.

and the questions they have are harder to answer.

of course. That's why the responses are few. But the questions elevate everyone's thinking even if no one can answer them. Imagine if all the forum dealt with was "what year is my 300 EG?" How long would people stick around? We all need fresh input to stimulate our thinking and hone our powers of observation. Maybe make us go dig out some guns to check for data points. Surely we haven't covered it all?JMO

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by texken
with my limited knowledge of 99's, I don't have much to contribute, however, I do ask ?'s

We could talk for a week on your custom 38-55! Beautiful rifle!!!

LOL
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I own a grey cheese rat HP22 I inherited. I lurk and learn and only can offer what I know. No where near the depth of knowledge that resides here.

Just thankful for what does show.

Happiness is the purpose of Conscious Life
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fireball2
and the questions they have are harder to answer.

of course. That's why the responses are few. But the questions elevate everyone's thinking even if no one can answer them. Imagine if all the forum dealt with was "what year is my 300 EG?" How long would people stick around? We all need fresh input to stimulate our thinking and hone our powers of observation. Maybe make us go dig out some guns to check for data points. Surely we haven't covered it all?JMO

It's not up to them to serve you by thinking of questions you want to hear answers to.

It's up to everybody to ask questions. I put out a book about 3 months ago.. I don't recall a single person asking a question about anything in it in this forum. Really? 50+ models, 150+ variations, changed date ranges per year.. and no questions? Pretty much the same for David's book, and it's been out for 6 years.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I try to post stuff that i think other people might find interesting grin But im not a one brand collector,savage, marlins, winchesters my collections are quite varried,antique construction equipment,logging equipment,sterling trucks, sawmilling,antique chainsaws, sugar house and on and on. Im on 4 different forums and it seems i spend half my life 1 finger typing on the computer !!!! I try and help when i know the answer, but my memory plays tricks on me at times!! blush blush crazy crazy Don

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

It's not up to them to serve you

I guess I should just quit posting altogether then. Why put any effort whatsoever into it.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Do the experienced people here answer questions when you ask them?

I think the answer is obvious - yes, they do.

I wish there were more people who would ask questions, but blaming the lack of questions on the people who answer the questions isn't helpful.

I started off learning here by asking questions on auction guns after the auctions were done. A few of the questions led to us learning something new, a LOT of the questions led to me learning something new.

We just need more folks who will ask questions and not be worried that it makes them look inexperienced.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I haven't been a member long, but I've gotten some very helpful answers to questions, and seen some rifle/gear I never would have if not for the campfire.

I'm not the most knowledgable guy around by a far cry, but I try to post helpful/insightful info when I can.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

Some times one has to think about how much time one wants to post questions or talk about a gun
like a 22 H.P. in CD deluxe only to be asked if you have a letter on it and when you say no than
we can't find it in a book so it must not be real well it may not be but when you go all over the
USA and find 4 of the same gun then how many letters do you think you need or you go to ROE
house and see his guns an when one you want comes up for sale buy it make a post about it
the only barrel band engraved with RC and in 38-55 than get a question asking how that can
be because they never made barrel band in 38-55 I could go on but what for!!!!

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

I don't do photos or face book type very little but why have we lost people here to FB could it be
because of the way they were treated here ??????????????????????????????

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Different Strokes!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FUG1899

I don't do photos or face book type very little but why have we lost people here to FB could it be
because of the way they were treated here ??????????????????????????????

I'd love to see photos of those rare Savages. I couldn't add anything to the discussion but it would expand my knowledge. I can see why you wouldn't want to get jacked around for posting though. I just got jacked around and I had to step away before I said something I wouldn't even come close to regretting but would have felt really, really good to get off my chest. Held my tongue this time.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I guess I should just quit posting altogether then. Why put any effort whatsoever into it.

cry

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If we want the forum to thrive, we have to be willing to answer "The year your 99EG in 300 was made was ..." about 100 times for every rare or unusual rifle that shows up.

I'm on 3 facebook groups and 3 forums doing exactly that. Because quite frankly, between the attitude shown to new members here and how difficult it is for newbies to share pictures there's not many folks coming here any more.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 99guy

cry

I thought everyone was here to serve me. Imagine my disappointment in learning that is not the case. LOL

LOL
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

248 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 28 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.