Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
A skilled driver can maneuver away from many accidents. I have avoided several via a lane change, or taking the shoulder. Once, a head on at 65 mph with a car in my lane which would have likely killed me, my wife, and our three little kids in the back seat of the 77 Volare.

Though your advice is the same as I would give my daughters. My son or wife? No, they can drive.

Trucks and deer are one thing. But deer will come right through the windshield of many compact cars. A horse or elk will come through the windshield of many trucks.

I would much prefer to avoid the deer than have it in the car with me, and possibly take my head off.

I draw the line at cats and dogs. I will not swerve to miss them.

That gets a bunch of "drivers" killed every year.

I am MAGA.
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
A skilled driver can maneuver away from many accidents. I have avoided several via a lane change, or taking the shoulder. Once, a head on at 65 mph with a car in my lane which would have likely killed me, my wife, and our three little kids in the back seat of the 77 Volare.

Though your advice is the same as I would give my daughters. My son or wife? No, they can drive.

Trucks and deer are one thing. But deer will come right through the windshield of many compact cars. A horse or elk will come through the windshield of many trucks.

I would much prefer to avoid the deer than have it in the car with me, and possibly take my head off.

It does.

I don't know how many bad wrecks I worked on people swerving to keep from hitting a deer. Some were fatalities.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Hit the SOB, don’t swerve at high speed.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It's actually a question on the DMV test here...or at least was. Better to hit a 100lb deer than a 200 year old oak on the side of the road or swerve and roll it. Oncoming vehicles is a different topic all together.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
It's actually a question on the DMV test here...or at least was. Better to hit a 100lb deer than a 200 year old oak on the side of the road or swerve and roll it. Oncoming vehicles is a different topic all together.

Not a lot different. Yes, avoid if possible.

The studies have shown that with modern vehicles, a frontal collision is one of the safer ones.

The car's crumple zones are most efficient with head on collisions.

When you try and maneuver, you are actually putting less iron between you and the oncoming vehicle.

BY FAR AND AWAY, the best thing to do is to dynamite the brakes.

If you are driving a 76 Opal Kadet.......just stay home.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
For those of you that have the larger units on a diesel pickup, I would assume they add some real weight in front of the front axle. Do you need to up the front spring rates to account for the added weight of the brush guard?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by logger
For those of you that have the larger units on a diesel pickup, I would assume they add some real weight in front of the front axle. Do you need to up the front spring rates to account for the added weight of the brush guard?

On the GMs with the torsion bar suspension, they would sometimes crank the bars or install a leveling kit.

I have had a Ranch Hand on a 93 Ford diesel with the IFS. Been fine for 15 years.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bbassi
Is it better to weld them to the frame or just bolt them on the way they come?

Don't weld it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife

Don't weld it.

Yeah, if welded, it could interfere with the airbag deployment.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
I have a Ranch Hand on my diesel Ram to keep deer from getting into the radiator.
I pull trailers a lot and your ability to steer or stop your way out of an animal collision is severely diminished..
If anything compromises your coolant system you are immediately a camper.

Never...ever ....try to maneuver away from a deer.

Scrub off some speed if you can....but stay centered in your lane.

I've avoided dozens and dozens of deer collisions by steering.

I'm am no rookie driving at night in game country.

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
If you can safely steer away from a deer and stay completely in your lane....you went in that much danger of hitting it in the first place.

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Commuting through Yellowstone Park at night I came around a corner and had to slalom through a herd of elk in my little work car.
All I could see was elk legs all around me.
Was probably going a bit faster than prudent.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Hahahaha!

Elk slalom!

That's a good description.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My niece hit an elk with her GMC heavy half at highway speeds. Even with a grill guard (not sure if it was bolted on or part of the bumper), it did enough damage to move the engine block back and bend the chassis. My point is, despite elk being bigger than deer, damage can still happen even with a grill guard. Beef cows are a danger anywhere in the country so even if the OP doesn't live in elk country, there is still the danger.

Ranch hands are all I am familiar with, but I am sure others are good too.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Great timing for this thread as I just got back from Yellowstone and the area. I was noticing a lot of pickups had guards on the front and could see why. Was thinking about back here in TN, and wondering about getting one for my truck. I have not hit a deer (knock wood) but the wife and daughter and several friends have.

WYcoyote, I was in Yellowstone coming back to the room for the night and about took out 2 elk standing in the road. Lucky for me (and them) I grew up in the country and learned how to dodge deer at a young age. Does not mean I can not hit one, I guess I am luckier than most.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
B
bbassi Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Don't weld it.

Good point. Can you believe the air bags didn't go off on this one though?
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The chances they come, and the chances they go.
But the time. You don't get that back.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by logger

On the GMs with the torsion bar suspension, they would sometimes crank the bars or install a leveling kit.

I have had a Ranch Hand on a 93 Ford diesel with the IFS. Been fine for 15 years.

I've had the front end "clocked" on a couple of GMC 2500's w/6.0 gas.
Haven't done anything to the Dodge/Cummins

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

It does.

I don't know how many bad wrecks I worked on people swerving to keep from hitting a deer. Some were fatalities.

There are millions of people out there every day behind the wheel who could not properly be called "drivers".

My youngest (36 YO) daughter is one, my stepmom is another. But at least they have enough smarts to keep their car on low volume, low speed secondary roads. Many do not.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

Don't weld it.

Good point. Can you believe the air bags didn't go off on this one though?
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Yes.

I am MAGA.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
If you can safely steer away from a deer and stay completely in your lane....you went in that much danger of hitting it in the first place.

Why, is there a problem with using the other lane, if no one is in it?

Or a good wide shoulder?

Nowhere am I stating that a person should not get on the brakes hard at the first sight of a large critter in the road.

But, then again, if one is incapable of a high speed lane change in an emergency, one ought not even be on the road in the first place. There are lots of places where such might be required.

Come around a corner at speed and see a big boulder in the road? Crest a hill and see a semi or tractor virtually sitting in front of you?
Realize those headlights in the dark in front of you closing at 130 MPH are in your lane?

Slow down as much as you can, but then you have two choices. Avoid the collision or be dead, along with everyone else in the car.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
695 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,722 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,558
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.