Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have seen quite more brass and bullets showing up here on store shelves, along with ammo. The timing is pretty typical of these shortages, and would guess for the same reason: The component and ammo companies are cranking stuff out as fast as they can, but more is going into ammo than usual, because believe it or not most shooters don't handload. I know this is hard for Campfire members to believe, but there it is.

Plus according to the ATF about 11 million people were run through the background check system in the past year that had never been checked before--which probably means 11 million NEW shooters, many of whom bought a handgun for self-defense. Each of those probably bought a couple of boxes of ammo, which means a LOT more factory ammo was sold as well.

But even with that, what eventually happened during the last several shortages is starting to happen now: The shooters who want a "lifetime" supply of ammo or components are starting to fill their needs, whether cases of ammo/components or a couple boxes of handgun ammo. Once that starts to happen more will stay on shelves, whether local stores or those of Internet companies, because fewer people feel the need to buy whatever they can, whenever they can. The ammo and component companies won't have extra shifts anymore, and things will return to something approximating normal.

This is what happened during past shortages, going back to the big primer-buying panic during the Clinton "assault rifle ban" in the 1990s: Eventually supplies exceeded demand, and the shortages ended.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been seeing stuff marked down, components that is.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
From what I've seen, there are plenty of AR type rifles available, and plastic centerfire pistols. Steel handguns and .22 handguns not so much. A local Ace Hardware just opened near me and they had a bunch of guns and shooting stuff. Some powders, but no high demand stuff like H4350. Lots of Winchester 5.56 FMJ. A bit of .22 RF ammo, 38 gr. Blazer and some Winchester. Funny, there are two Ace Hardware owners in town, and they are competitors. I noted that the Blazer .22 200 packs are $35 in the new store and $45 in the other. But a week or so ago I bought a can of Gun Scrubber at SW, and then found the same cans at the older Ace for $3 less. You really have to know prices and compare.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Bwana_1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Got a flyer from Roger’s Sporting Goods this morning. They have ammo for common rounds like .308, .270, .30/06, and some others. The price is the price, but factory ammo prices already seemed pretty high to me before this crunch hit.

If you are truly out, I wouldn’t linger….

Yep, missed the post...they still have 270, but now out of 30-06.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I can’t say for certain who’s ripping off who, because I don’t know what the retailers are paying for their stock. Some stuff, notably good .22 ammo, seems pretty close to what it’s been in the past, and available if you look a bit. Took myself out of the factory rifle ammo market years ago, but I look now and then. It’s pretty scarce, though reports here have it popping up now and again.

You’re correct; those who didn’t pay attention to events a year and a half ago may be out of luck. Unfortunate, but it’s perhaps a life lesson for some, who hopefully won’t get caught next time, and there will be a next time.

I found 1 place that had 165 gr. boattails, $104 + shipping for a box of 20

Originally Posted by Wrapids
There was a pic posted here sometime this year, of what l could have been very spacious walk in closet, maybe 8 feet deep and tall, with ammo packed floor to ceiling. That's the root of the shortage.

Exactly, they are blaming the upsurge in gun purchase, COVID, and not keeping up with the demand...but even the big online dealers and big box stores don't have any. I was looking for some oddball calibers like 41 mag, 260 Rem, 17 HMR, and they are scarce too....much less finding primers or bullet styles you need.

I have a box and I'll beat tat price. 102 shipped

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B2

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I was revisiting "Basic Economics" by Thomas Sowell and this, and similar threads, about the shortage came to mind. If you listen briefly to the section on shortages (1:44:26) and substitute primers/power for gas, he explains perfectly what's happening. The man is a treasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMbCdfxI_jA

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Simple search today for SIMPLE ammo, Remington 270, 130gr. ZERO at leasat through ammoseek.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 3,342 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,296
Posts18,468,010
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.