Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I worked up a load for my 300 rum using this bullet. It absolutely loves it although it's extremely finicky with other bullets. My question is the following. I hunt in a place that shots can be taken from 50 to 500 yards on elk. I want to know whether somebody have shot an elk relatively close but high speed and if this bullet stayed together. I have no doubt it will do well at long range but I'm asking about short range.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I'd guess that bullet would kill fine - but likely quite messy .

Shot a pig maybe 100lbs. quartering to me @ 200-210yards with 208amax from a M7 308win. 2300fps? @ muzzle - emptied its innerds out - ruined one rear quarter and bruised the backstrap .

I think these bullets are similar but a 300RUM at that distance ? That'll bruise some meat .

Last edited by ol_mike; 10/25/21.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks

μολὼν λαβέ

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Fotis
I worked up a load for my 300 rum using this bullet. It absolutely loves it although it's extremely finicky with other bullets. My question is the following. I hunt in a place that shots can be taken from 50 to 500 yards on elk. I want to know whether somebody have shot an elk relatively close but high speed and if this bullet stayed together. I have no doubt it will do well at long range but I'm asking about short range.

50 yard shots with target bullets at ultra mag velocities, what could possibly go wrong?

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That's why I asked. Some Berger users are claiming success even in short ranges, so I thought I'd ask.

μολὼν λαβέ

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Wouldn’t make my top 10 of bullets for a RUM myself. Slowed down a bunch I’m sure it’d be great but I think it’s got a lot of chances to get squirrely at 3100+ I’d bet you’re getting from it.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Why would you use a match bullet for big game? Choose a proper bullet that will hold together.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I've seen the 7mm 180 ELD from a 7WSM started at 2950 fps used on a bull moose at ~30 meters. The frontal shot (slightly quartering) penetrated about 4 feet and exited the offside near the last rib. I've also seen the .308 208 AM fired from a .300 WM penetrate and hold together on bull moose at about 120 yards. The recovered bullet looked like a typical mushroomed C&C.

My personal solution is to load a TTSX/LRX for close-range shooting (I hunt with a mag full of these), and if a longer shot presents itself I almost always have time to put a couple of rounds of the AM/ELD into the mag and take the shot.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I've seen the 7mm 180 ELD from a 7WSM started at 2950 fps used on a bull moose at ~30 meters. The frontal shot (slightly quartering) penetrated about 4 feet and exited the offside near the last rib. I've also seen the .308 208 AM fired from a .300 WM penetrate and hold together on bull moose at about 120 yards. The recovered bullet looked like a typical mushroomed C&C.

My personal solution is to load a TTSX/LRX for close-range shooting (I hunt with a mag full of these), and if a longer shot presents itself I almost always have time to put a couple of rounds of the AM/ELD into the mag and take the shot.

Jordan - just curious, why not take a longer shot with the LRX?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
https://youtu.be/Xm8wAXkVaxU

That video came to mind. ELD-M vs ELD-X compared.

Cliff notes, basically a wash. The M didn't penetrate as far and expanded more. But nothing crazy.

My guess, short range or heavy bone, it'll be ugly. Will it probably work? Probably. Maybe. Maybe not.

I'd select a bullet designed for the task at hand just to know what the bullet aughta do.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mauser06
https://youtu.be/Xm8wAXkVaxU

That video came to mind. ELD-M vs ELD-X compared.

Cliff notes, basically a wash. The M didn't penetrate as far and expanded more. But nothing crazy.

My guess, short range or heavy bone, it'll be ugly. Will it probably work? Probably. Maybe. Maybe not.

I'd select a bullet designed for the task at hand just to know what the bullet aughta do.

I saw the same thing between the 147 and 143’s in my Creed at the same speeds. I like the ELDs myself, but for stuff that isn’t quite as fast. If I was shooting way out past 600 I’d probably be okay with them in faster cartridges.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
A 208 out of a 300 rum in open Wyoming country???? Good lord, your a daredevil!!! And to think you work at a gunstore!!!

Excuse the Roosevelt cows that weigh a fair amount more than the big Wyoming bulls gettin ghosted with a 6 and 80 bt’s….

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hey when I don't have first-hand knowledge of a specific thing I will ask.

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm

It depends on the situation, but expansion and wind are two reasons I might want to slide in an ELD or two instead of taking a longer shot with the LRX. In my rifles, I zero at 100 m with the AM/ELD, and the TTSX/LRX load almost always ends up being 1-3 MOA high and within about 1 MOA of center in windage, which works well for point-and-shoot work out to 300-400 meters, or so.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

It depends on the situation, but expansion and wind are two reasons I might want to slide in an ELD or two instead of taking a longer shot with the LRX. In my rifles, I zero at 100 m with the AM/ELD, and the TTSX/LRX load almost always ends up being 1-3 MOA high and within about 1 MOA of center in windage, which works well for point-and-shoot work out to 300-400 meters, or so.

Thanks.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

That’s about what I do with BBCs. No real need for them but they work well 400 on in. I spend a bit of time matching speeds for them and checking out to 400. It’s an old habit that Bob taught me.

Semper Fi

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1moredeer, 55 invisible), 3,165 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,313
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.