Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Super interesting.

LOL
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Is that the steamer that sank near St. Joseph MO in the Missouri River? Then the river changed it's channel left it under a Kansas farmer's field? They dug up whiskey and champagne from that boat that was still good 150 years after it sank. There's a museum devoted to it in St. Joe, IIRC. I've been wanting to go to that one myself. I love that kind of stuff.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I've been to the Arabia museum a couple of times. The people who recovered it are going to sell it to an outfit that is going to build a museum for it along Interstate 70 at the highway 65 junction... about 20 miles from my home. They are planning on recovering as many as 5 more boats with the first one being the Malta that is in a crop field near Malta Bend, MO.
An old friend of mine who has lived in that area for many years told me that he used to hunt the farm where it is located and said the elderly farmer told him that in his younger years the stacks were sticking up out of the ground and they would farm around them.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
very cool

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Chris Utley at South Union Mills in Tennessee (dealer in reenacting goods) offers these reproduction shoes from the Arabia

https://www.southunionmills.com/arabia-style-shoes/

Also offers this item copied from from another Missouri river steamboat mishap

https://www.southunionmills.com/steamer-bertrand-handkerchief-1/

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Stood on the edge a that hole and looked down, whilst they were pumpin/diggin, BITD.

Farmer didn't discover anything, those guys researched the sinking and dug several holes close by before they hit it.

Real close to the KCK Police range.

Guys diggin walked over and asked me what I was doin there.

Told em I was lookin in their hole, and wtf were they doin diggin there?

Said they'd found a steamboat, and was salvagin it.

OK.

They said biggest expense was the pumps, and spring floods.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Is that the steamer that sank near St. Joseph MO in the Missouri River? Then the river changed it's channel left it under a Kansas farmer's field? They dug up whiskey and champagne from that boat that was still good 150 years after it sank. There's a museum devoted to it in St. Joe, IIRC. I've been wanting to go to that one myself. I love that kind of stuff.

The Arabia sank just a few miles above Kansas City... 7 miles I believe and it has been displayed at the City Market in downtown KC, MO.since the beginning. They found jars of pickled vegetables that were edible.
At Miami, MO. there's a big rock with a large iron ring where they used to tie up the steamboats and I've heard that there is a rock outcropping at Arrow Rock with several rings in it for the boats. Arrow Rock was where the Santa Fe Trail started in the beginning .

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Great story, thanks.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for that! I’ve a little history in marine salvage and it is interesting stuff.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1715_Treasure_Fleet

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's a cool story but I think they know of several steamers buried in old river channels.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Been to the Steam Boat Arabia museum in KC. Pretty interesting. I knew they were going to move but didn’t know they were moving to I-70 and US65

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by 12344mag
It's a cool story but I think they know of several steamers buried in old river channels.

Yes, but most were caught on snags for hours/days, before sinking, so the boat was stripped before sinking.

The Arabia went down fairly quickly, which is why some of the cargo was still on board.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What amazes me is how they accomplished logistical planning back then when all communication/record keeping was on hand-written letters that could take weeks or months to arrive.

Consider the American Revolution, communication across the Atlantic could take months, yet the Brits planned campaigns, recruited, gathered, equipped and deployed troops, ordered, received and sent out all the myriad items needed.

Even more amazing; payment for goods and/or services rendered sent and received the same way.

All on the strength of slips of paper.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Cool stuff thanks for posting .
Made me think of Ethan Edwards he probably knew a good bit about it .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
46 feet down, wow

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My grandparents came from Italy on the HMS Republic steamship January1909. When it set sail again later that month to return to Italy it got rammed by another ship and sank by Nantucket Island. It was a little sister ship to the Titanic.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

615 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 66 invisible), 2,099 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,276
Posts18,448,425
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.