-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Supercub has it, though I think 2A is part of the rump.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by deflave
Looks like a Victorinox Boner.

Correct. Have an assortment of theirs. This one seems to be grabbed most often. For no good reason other than it’s top of the pile.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/vi...g-knife-with-fibrox-handle/35340514.html

Thanks.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by deflave
Looks like a Victorinox Boner.

Correct. Have an assortment of theirs. This one seems to be grabbed most often. For no good reason other than it’s top of the pile.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/vi...g-knife-with-fibrox-handle/35340514.html

Thanks.

OOOOOO- I just can't go there..... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
When the kids were little, like just starting solid foods, I put a little warmed canned moose shanks on a club or ritz cracker fragment...the broth would soften the cracker a bit and the meat goes down real easy. They loved it. I'd eat it too!

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Almost embarrassed to ask, have butchered 100+ deer/elk/antelope, and never took the time to learn the correct names for the muscles in the back legs.

So, any help would be great so I don’t have to label oackages as “football shaped rump” and “long flat rump” etc.

Antelope leg
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Peeled open

Broken down to mostly entire muscles

1a and 2a might just be trim, both kinda wrapped around the end in a blob.

1 is the football
3 is the false tenderloin connected to 4.

So, proper butcher names?

I'd like to start butchering our deer. How long does it usually take to cut/wrap your deer?

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B2

Cheesy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Almost embarrassed to ask, have butchered 100+ deer/elk/antelope, and never took the time to learn the correct names for the muscles in the back legs.

So, any help would be great so I don’t have to label oackages as “football shaped rump” and “long flat rump” etc.

Antelope leg

Peeled open

1 is the football

I'd like to start butchering our deer. How long does it usually take to cut/wrap your deer?

Never really timed it, but I’d think 4 hours I could do one start to finish and do a premium job with it, and have time left over. My shoulders and neck would be hurting from staring down though. I did 2 yesterday from 9am to 9pm but 2 hour afternoon break. 1 hour for supper. 2 hour of campfire. Several long breaks between boning out legs, etc.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've taught my family that butchering & vacuum packing, is all part of the "hunt" !

As is making burger, in the dead of winter.

We have fun doing it.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Nebraska

Antelope leg

Peeled open

1 is the football

Do you know anybody close by that butchers their own ?

Having a guiding hand the first time or 2 makes the process of learning easier & is a great way to learn.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We grind probably 60%+. Last year I dug out a package of "stew meat" taken from "less desirable" back and front shoulder parts and used an immersion sous vied cooker (about 125.00) 135 degrees for 4 hours and then a fast sear in a cast iron pan. Unbelievably good.

Put toothpicks in the chunks and serve with horseradish/mayo dipping sauce. We plan to shoot and process more deer this year specifically because of how well sous vie turns any well trimmed venison into prime cuts.

My wife and I can have a deer broken down into quarters loosely wrapped and stashed in the refrigerator to age in less than an hour. The trimming cutting and wrapping takes way longer. That part goes much better if you can recruit helpers....

Please don't feed the trolls!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by Vek
Supercub, thanks for the names. Honestly have rolled the dice on whether 2/3/4 would make a decent pan-fry steak on various game...dall sheep, muley, elk, goat, moose. Have found that 2/3/4 pan steaks are generally a no-go with the big animals, okay with younger muleys, and no problemo with sheep and goat.

2/3/4 are all round steak. Not the best from any animal for pan frying or off the grill without a lot of time spent in marinade. Round steak is better used as a simmering steak of cut into rump roast. On my moose last fall, I roasted both hind legs. One could make cube steak from it. If it is cut very thin and marinaded, it can be stir fried
It all works fine for steaks beaten with a meat tenderizing hammer and chicken fried. Served smothered with country gravy. Mmmm, good.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A cuber/tenderizer attachment for your grinder will make those steaks very good and easy to chew. Cabela's carries a good one. JMHO

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (10gaugemag, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 7 invisible), 1,617 guests, and 748 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,557
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.