Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Just bagged my first chronograph. I need to replace it and was wondering what everyone’s thoughts were on this one?

Thanks all.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have one,,it seems to work just fine!

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ditto waterrat.
The Caldwell G2's auxillary lighting is nice.
Rechargeable by micro USB is nice.
I have bagged only 3 chronographs in 35 years, last one was with a shotgun wad that went low at 5 yards.
The Caldwell might have survived that since the aiming point is below the face of the G2.
If I bag the Caldwell and the Oehler I will get a Labradar, or another Caldwell G2.
Until then, the handy Caldwell G2 is used more often than the cumbersome Oehler 35P.
Both seem to be equally reliable and agreeable with each other,
when the light is good and the temperature is above freezing.
Since the Caldwell has its own light, that gives it an edge.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I sold mine for $40 and was glad to get it.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Riflecrank
Ditto waterrat.
The Caldwell G2's auxillary lighting is nice.
Rechargeable by micro USB is nice.
I have bagged only 3 chronographs in 35 years, last one was with a shotgun wad that went low at 5 yards.
The Caldwell might have survived that since the aiming point is below the face of the G2.
If I bag the Caldwell and the Oehler I will get a Labradar, or another Caldwell G2.
Until then, the handy Caldwell G2 is used more often than the cumbersome Oehler 35P.
Both seem to be equally reliable and agreeable with each other,
when the light is good and the temperature is above freezing.
Since the Caldwell has its own light, that gives it an edge.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Let’s see if Caldwell and Labradar will fix your chronograph for free after 12 years. Oehler did.

Swifty
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the G2 gives me 12 years of service I will happily bag it and consider it fully depreciated.
It is missing a little chunk of plastic in the forward horizontal member that houses the auxilliary lighting.
Done by a grease cookie from a BPCR round hitting it low.
It took a minor lickin' and is still tickin'.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I need another chrono as I dropped my Competition Electronics ProChrono and it has not been right afterwords.
So what is the advantage or why is the G2 "upside-down" compared to the standard Caldwell chrono or for that matter most any other chrono?
What is the difference between the standard Caldwell chrono and the G2 other than the more than double price.
Thanks for the education in advance.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Schidt happens. Chronographs get shot. Why would anybody with a functioning brain think it was a good idea to shoot over (or under) the expensive part of the machinery?

I bought a PACT 1st & a Competition Electronics 2nd. Both lasted less than a year & were often questionable before finally going titz up. Out of warranty or unrepairable both. I've had an Oehler for going on 40 years. It screwed up on its own about 35 years ago. Oehler repaired & updated it at no charge. It still works wonderfully until the sun gets too low. It's usually time to go home by then anyway. They may have improved this with the updated screens, but 2 of mine are still original so I dont know for sure.

Shooting the unit? It wont happen to me, you say? I've shot my Oehler twice... 44 Mag torquing both times. Oops. Always the stop screen. The screen way back when was $25. The 2nd more recently was $45. Sounds like a better deal than a whole new unit.

Labradar may be a better idea if the Oehler ever stops working, but is limited to under 4000fps & seems to need some accessories & updates for best function.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
After getting a Magnetospeed, I sure cant imagine wanting anything resembling a traditional Chrono.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10ring1, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,320
Posts18,468,433
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.