Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
From what I've been reading I believe they could be a very good dog for our family.

We own considerable land in the mountains of West Virginia... very rough and very remote. Will be building a home there for us in the next few years.

We have a 4 1/2 year old Australian Shepherd at the moment. He is a fine dog very Nimble very smart.

Pondering a couple of Cur dogs to add... with a possibility of crossbreeding somewhere down the road.

Looking for knowledge of the breed and potential breeders where we might acquire a pup.

Thanks in advance.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
There is a very good breeder outside Lexington, N.C. I’ll try to track down his name. These dogs want a job. Think dual purpose squirrel/coon hunting. They aren’t that big, but man they’re tough.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
There is a very good breeder outside Lexington, N.C. I’ll try to track down his name. These dogs want a job. Think dual purpose squirrel/coon hunting. They aren’t that big, but man they’re tough.

Thanks, sure do appreciate any help I could get.

Different places on the internet reference them up to 65 lb. I am hoping for a female around 45 lb.

The mountain we owned in West Virginia is surrounded by properties that supports healthy coyote populations. Having several dogs in the 45 to 50 lb range would give reasonable possibility to their survival on certain confrontations. We also have nosy black bear, the occasional cougar and crystal meth redneck crackheads in the country.

The Appalachian Mountain Cur dog seems ideally suited.

Our current Australian Shepherd is also highly nimble but nowhere as near as physically capable... or potentially tough.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I will see a buddy tomorrow that knows the guy in Lexington that has the Curs. I’ll see if he has his contact information. A Cur is a pretty talented dog. Find lots of jobs for them. Most opponents would find a couple Cur dogs to be quite a handful. A lone coyote would make a mistake if it were to jump a Cur, IMHO. I have a Catahoula, which shares some of the traits of a Mountain Cur, specifically toughness and athleticism.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
@CashisKing. I would be interested in hearing more about the cougars in the mountains of WV. If you wouldn’t mind.

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Old thread ole cash might of gotten ate by a panther!!!

Last edited by MadDog4298; 10/26/21.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Yeah. I saw that. Also saw Cash is still pretty active. Worh a shot.

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] Cash the tan and white mountain cut is JJ and the smaller is VooDoo which is a Carolina Cur! JJ is one of the most humble hard working most athletic dogs I have ever owned and very adaptive! Now VOODOO IS STRAIGHT UP CRAZY! Both are great as you can see!!!!

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,610
Posts18,454,896
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.