Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have an FV in .22-250. Bought it for the 12-twist barrel to stabilize the high-BC 53 grain V-Max. Got a tip on using RL 17 for use with those bullets in that chambering. Works great.

BP-B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
John, it was probably hanco again... Out of curiosity though, have your loads changed any since then?? Old threads like these aren't bad if they surface again and again though. However, I would never use a load shown on the interweb without first consulting a load manual..... wink

😇 it wasn’t me

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I’m 63 years old and have been a mild minored moron and rifle looney for-as long as I can remember. One of my favorite rifles is the Remington 700. One of the rifles on my “Bucket List” is the Remington 700 BDL 22-250. When Remington closed its doors I panicked and bought every Remington I could get. I’m old enough to remember the demise of the Winchester 70 in 1964. Value went up. Capitalism is great!!. Said all that to say this… I found a Remington 700 BDL in 22-250 standard weight NITB. The primary purpose of this rifle will be as a varmint rifle, such as hogs, pigs, hogs, pigs and coyotes. I was a little concerned with it being 1-14” because I wanted to shoot 55 grain bullets. I loaded 45 grain, 50grain, and 55 grain per Nosler’s latest edition per the most accurate. I was pleasantly surprised when my best load was 37.5 grains of Big Game with a 55 grain Sierra SP flat base, .433” five shots. I can’t wait to shoot a hog in the ribs and see what happens.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Lately since I have a lot of Benchmark, bought when it was dirt cheap locally...

33.5 grains with a 50 grain VMax or Ballistic Tip....more accurate than the higher powder charges with that powder...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
a while back there was a gentleman looking for a i believe 60gr bullit in a 1in 14 twist. i have an old savage 110 with the slow twist and my most accurate load is a 60 gr partition and 36.5 grains of h380, just one ragged hole. i havent tried the hornadys yet

Last edited by sandpit; 06/30/22.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
Lately since I have a lot of Benchmark, bought when it was dirt cheap locally...

33.5 grains with a 50 grain VMax or Ballistic Tip....more accurate than the higher powder charges with that powder...

I'd like to find some benchmark. I heard it also works great in the 204 Ruger. I had to dip into my AR Comp stash the other day for my new 22-250:

Jumbled target, but everything is written on it if you follow. I shot 1 bullet from a RL15 load as an aiming point. That was not part of the 5 shot group. Was not shot at the same poa, nor is it of the same load, plus I had shot one of my new 7mm rem mags on the same target at the orange dot...:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I'm going to be rechecking this load. It did pretty good that day...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RowdyYates
I have an FV in .22-250. Bought it for the 12-twist barrel to stabilize the high-BC 53 grain V-Max. Got a tip on using RL 17 for use with those bullets in that chambering. Works great.

Nice, show some targets. My 1 in 14" twist Tikka shoots that bullet unbelievably well. As does my Stevens 200 in a 1 in 12" twist and 1 in 14" twist Winchester XTR featherweight. Hornady and others say that bullet won't work/stabilize in a 14 twist rifle, but don't tell that to mine!!!!

Less than 1" group at 400, but not on the orange dot:

At 600 yards and a fairly calm day:

I was fn around with that rifle back in February to get it prepared for a long range varmint silhouette match and it was definitely up to the task. Rifle and load did everything I could ask of it.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Good shooting BSA.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Good shooting BSA.

Thanks buddy. The 22-250 is one of my favorites. I just sold one of my favorite rifles that Ive had for a while. One of my buddies was at the range and testing his new Christensen arms rifles and he was talking about wanting a 22-250. I told him I had one in the car. Telling myself I needed to get rid of a 22-250 since I had just bought the 1 in 8 twist Tikka and really like that rifle. I told him if he wants a good 22-250 that one is it and I'd make him a good deal on it. I told him to shoot it, but don't feel bad if it outshoots his new Christensen. It did and he bought it...

The reason I had it at the range is because I pulled the Zeiss conquest off and sent it in so they could fix the factory blemish. Now that scope is at Zeiss and they say the scope they were going to replace it with is on "backorder", so I put an old Burris ffII 3-9x40 on it for now and set it up for hunting yotes. I'm sure they will make it right eventually. The Steven's 200 above is just one rifle I have fine tuned. Has a Timney trigger in it and a new Savage trophy hunter stock that I glass bedded. Like I told my friend, that rifle will outshoot 99% of rifles that guys will bring to this range in town...

Here's a good load I found that works well in 4 different 22-250 rifles. 3 of mine and 1 of my friends:

Sorry, theres 5 shots in there from one of my 6.5 creedmoors, but you get the idea... Even though this is a 22-250 thread. I later sold that Sako A7 to a guy in Alaska. Don't know if he is retarted or what, but when I sold it, I posted targets and said the rifle shot extremely well. He later sent me a picture of a single 3 shot group and says, "Lawrence, I don't know why you sold this rifle?, it shoots great." Well fu cking DUH!!! I don't sell schidt!! Some guys man...

The bullet shot in this target was a 50gr Vmax.
This was when the rifle wore a Weaver 4-16 when I first got the rifle. ^^^ Same load of 35.5 gr of H4895 with a 50gr Vmax. That is a very consistent shooting load.

That has been one of my favorite bullets in my 22-250 rifles. Also like I said, one of my buddies rifles I load for as well. My Tikka Varmint likes 1/2 grain more powder and a slightly longer OAL that puts the bullet .020" off the lands on that rifle:
I know this, if I'm loading that 50gr Vmax, I'm going to load it .020" off and find OCW. Good thing I just bought 540 50gr Vmax from a buddy that owns a shop outside of Reno for $50. They were loose and he didn't know the exact amount in the box. I took them home and counted and weighed every one of them. 540 bullets!!! Not a bad deal. ha ha.. Less than $10/100..

BSA MAGA
F
F
Wow lot of great info here even if it was dug up from the dead.
I bought a cheap savage axis on impulse and trying to work up load using 55vmax (have 500 nbt on the way ) but can’t find a load it likes with cfe 223. It’s what I have along with imr4166 (haven’t opened it yet).
Two powders keep coming up are h380 and h4895. I might have to try and find some.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
22-250, Remington 700 Classic, 55 grain Hornady V-max, 9 ½, 38.6 grain Big Game, 0.57 MOA

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bugger
22-250, Remington 700 Classic, 55 grain Hornady V-max, 9 ½, 38.6 grain Big Game, 0.57 MOA
".57 MOA" is a pretty arbitrary number. How do you come up with such an exacting figure? One of the rifles ive posted groups of in this thread will shoot . In the .2's at 400 yards with 3 shot groups, when checking POI. The same rifle shoots an average of .5-.6 moa for 2 10 shot groups, shot on the same target (as in the moa all day long shoot here). I'm just wondering how a person arrives at such an exacting number ("0.57")? Let me know and I'll start calculating my group averages in the same manner. Where's mathman? Maybe he knows the definitive secret.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
".57 MOA" is a pretty arbitrary number. How do you come up with such an exacting figure? One of the rifles ive posted groups of in this thread will shoot . In the .2's at 400 yards with 3 shot groups, when checking POI. The same rifle shoots an average of .5-.6 moa for 2 10 shot groups, shot on the same target (as in the moa all day long shoot here). I'm just wondering how a person arrives at such an exacting number ("0.57")? Let me know and I'll start calculating my group averages in the same manner. Where's mathman? Maybe he knows the definitive secret.

My range is 100 meters. I measure my groups with a caliper. Then I change to MOA. The targets measure .65" for five shots and three groups, at 100 meters it comes out to .57 MOA. There is nothing arbitrary about it!

Last edited by Bugger; 07/07/22.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

My range is 100 meters. I measure my groups with a caliper. Then I change to MOA. The targets measure .65" for five shots and three groups, at 100 meters it comes out to .57 MOA. There is nothing arbitrary about it!
Interesting. Ill give that a try. All of mine will be .247moa..give or take

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The actual distance by laser is 108 yards. 108 x 36 = 3,888 inches. Arctan(.65/3,888) = angle. I use a spreadsheet that answers this in Radians. Convert radians to degrees. (360 degrees = 2 PI radians). Multiply degrees by 60 to get MOA.

(PI is very close to 355/113)

The nice thing about having this formula on a spreadsheet is I can substitute the yardage by actual measured yards. For instance I have a stand up bench at 54 yards from the target, so I put 54 in the column that has yards and the answer is automatically in MOA. So if the measured group is .325 the MOA the spreadsheet will give the same answer as .65 at 108 yards.

My eyesight isn’t as good as it once was, therefore I shoot my iron-sighted rifles and revolvers at the stand up bench. I built this bench for heavy kicking rifles. But I don’t shoot them as much as I used too. Comes in handy for the irons.

I use an AP on my phone that calculates drop, windage, and velocity for whatever distance I want and it will give every 50 yards as default. Alternatively it will show the answer in a graph.

Last edited by Bugger; 07/08/22.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Quick and easy:

1.047" is very close to what one minute of angle produces at 100 yards.

For .65" group at 108 yards: .65/(1.08x1.047) represents .575 moa.

Similarly a .325" group at 54 yards : .325/(.54x1.047) represents .575 moa.

This can be handled by a little solar powered pocket calculator with basic arithmetic functions.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
Quick and easy:

This can be handled by a little solar powered pocket calculator with basic arithmetic functions.
Yes, its simple basic math. Saying a rifle is a .57 moa rifle is exactly what I said in my previous post. Look at some of the targets I post. Most are labeled with the moa. It doesn't matter if I'm shooting 100 or 1,000 yards. The group size is labeled. I guarantee if bugger shoots 3 5 shot groups side by side on the same piece of paper, the average is not going to be exactly .57 moa every time. Also most guys use an average of 5 5 shot groups, or if either of you have balls enough, you can shoot the moa all day long challenge here. That will show that it is likely not a ".57 moa" rifle. The number stated is arbitrary, like I said.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I wasn't addressing the strength of the claim either way.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
Quick and easy:

Yes, its simple basic math. Saying a rifle is a .57 moa rifle is exactly what I said in my previous post. Look at some of the targets I post. Most are labeled with the moa. It doesn't matter if I'm shooting 100 or 1,000 yards. The group size is labeled. I guarantee if bugger shoots 3 5 shot groups side by side on the same piece of paper, the average is not going to be exactly .57 moa every time. Also most guys use an average of 5 5 shot groups, or if either of you have balls enough, you can shoot the moa all day long challenge here. That will show that it is likely not a ".57 moa" rifle. The number stated is arbitrary, like I said.

This is funny. In a match you can have a single group for small of the day. The only reason for 5 5 shot groups is Agg. You can also have the overall agg of 15 5 shot groups of 100, 200 and 300 yards. And again MOA is actually a poor way to score groups ie .25 inch group will bear a .25 MOA group all day long. (.25” = .25” alas .25 MOA = .26175”). Also read your comment in optics and it seems your head is getting just as large and full of visions of supreme grandeur as Twigglet.

Swifty
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
33.5 grains of RL 7... 40 grain V Max or Ballistic Tip....

4250 to 4300 fps depending on which of my 22.250s is shooting it...

Got them in 24, 26 and 28 inch barrels....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
740 members (222ND, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.