Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And you're an assclown Lame Bob

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The End

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yes Dan but.....

Fools Rush In....

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the ‘06 is so bad I wonder what the all knowing LB thinks of the lowly .308?

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by John_Boy
If the ‘06 is so bad I wonder what the all knowing LB thinks of the lowly .308?

The point of the .308 was to achieve the same performance as the .30-06 in a short action, which it did. The case is also improved in terms of taper. It is a better cartridge than the .30-06, but often saddled with a retarded 1:12 twist rate.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Lamebrain, you didn't answer the one question I asked, see if you can answer it this time: does the 06 fail to kill big game?

As far as McDonalds burgers go, I don't eat them you nitwit. But that doesn't mean they're not a success. The idea behind them was to sell burgers and make money, and in that regard they're one of the .most successful products ever brought to market; there's no denying that.

Just like the 06. The fact that you like to piss and moan about minutiae doesn't change that.

But it is funny and entertaining.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Just keep defending those [bleep] burgers. You're making my point for me, that you will eat any crap and shoot any crap.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 10/27/21.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, reading comprehension is not your forte, is it? I'm not "defending" anything, including the burgers I just told you I don't eat, retard.

You can't read a simple question and answer it. Does the 06 fail to kill big game?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
It is worse at killing big game than many other cartridges. It requires a heavier rifle, has less range, reloads worse, and is inherently less accurate. And offers nothing in return of any value.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
It is worse at killing big game than many other cartridges.

Worse at killing game than which cartridges, bob?

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
You're too stupid to read the previous comments and figure it out?

Yeah, that fits you.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by smokepole

OK Bob, if the 06 is one of the most popular cartridges ever, please explain why it's a "failure."

It's a failure because it's bad at what it does. As a military round, it was too expensive per round, too bulky and heavy thus impeding logistics, and offered nothing in return. The 6mm Navy was superior in every respect (although likewise needing an upgrade to a spitzer bullet and later powders and a Mauser-type rifle), but this being the Army they couldn't admit that. Similarly the 275 Pedersen was superior in all respects, but the Army couldn't listen to John Garand, so they stuck with [bleep].

As a hunting round, it's bigger diameter than it needs to be for non-dangerous game, and not big enough for dangerous game. It manages to be [bleep] at both. The case has excess taper and the wrong neck angle hurting accuracy and reloadability, not to mention costing some velocity for no benefit.

Hell, even the original rifles were abject [bleep] that everyone now agrees are unsafe-to-fire wallhangers. They were [bleep] when they came out too, but the Army ignored it.

BTW, saying the McDonald's hamburger is a failure is the funniest thing I've heard in quite some time, thanks for the laugh. A "failure" of the kind you wish you'd thought of.

Well, this goes a long way to explain you. You're one of those people who can't tell their ass from a hole in the ground. When confronted with a low grade, overcooked burger filled with cellulose and soy, you're apparently overjoyed. It's easy to see why you wouldn't be able to tell a good cartridge from a bad one, because you apparently can't tell a good hamburger from [bleep] either.

Try some Vagisil. Vaginitis can be very troublesome.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It is worse at killing big game than many other cartridges. It requires a heavier rifle, has less range, reloads worse, and is inherently less accurate. And offers nothing in return of any value.

Worse as in how? I have used the 30-06 on all of the lower 48 game animals except grizzly and moose. I used it on more Elk than any other cartridge at short range and as far as 450 yards. I have also killed elk with 270, 7MM RM, 300 WM and 338 WM rifles. One of the elk killed with the 338 traveled farther than any shot with the others by far. I believe you are just another dumbass.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by rickt300

Worse as in how? I have used the 30-06 on all of the lower 48 game animals except grizzly and moose. I used it on more Elk than any other cartridge at short range and as far as 450 yards. I have also killed elk with 270, 7MM RM, 300 WM and 338 WM rifles. One of the elk killed with the 338 traveled farther than any shot with the others by far. I believe you are just another dumbass.

Just for fun I looked through my hunting notes and came up with the following list of animals taken with various .30-06s, plus Eileen's total. She used to use it quite a bit as her "big" cartridge when hunting stuff that might be a little out of the class of smaller cartridges, or when hunting in potential grizzly country:

Pronghorns
Whitetails (in Montana etc.
Mule deer
Elk (have killed more with .30-06 than any other cartridge, including my biggest bull—which didn’t go as as those lung-shot with the .300 Winchester and Weatherby Magnums)
Black bear
Caribou (my longest shot and biggest bull)
Red stag, both in Europe and New Zealand
Numerous feral goats and pigs (both are considered among the toughest big game animals of their size)
Springbok
Bushbuck
Kudu (my second-longest shot in Africa, 360 yards up a mountain, which dropped when hit doe to the 180 Nosler Partition breaking the downhill leg and then then spine)

Eileen:
Bighorn sheep (hunting in grizzly country)
Black bear
Gemsbok
Kudu
Red hartebeest
Blue wildebeest
(These four African animals are considered among the tougher to bring down.)

Have also had around a dozen companions use the .30-06 when hunting in various places from Africa to Alaska, and none had any trouble killing a similar list of animals.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
It is worse at killing big game than many other cartridges.

Worse at killing game than which cartridges, bob?

"I can't answer that question"

LOL, I didn't think so.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Heavier rifle???: M70 FWTs list the same weight for the 06 and many others, including your beloved 300 WSM

Less range??? Plenty of range for "normal" hunting. We all know that ultra BCs and fast twists are needed at extended ranges, but for the vast majority of hunters, they are irrelevant.
Inherent accuracy??? Might make a difference in rifles built for bench rest competition....not for hunting rifles. (one doesn't need 1/2 MOA to place bullets on target with game animals,

Give it up, Bob...that is unless you just enjoy being a troll, and providing entertainment. But no one is taking your arguments seriously

And, BTW, I recall in a previous diatribe you once said that the shoulder angle on the 06 is "too steep"....guess trigonometry was not your forte

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by rickt300

Just for fun I looked through my hunting notes and came up with the following list of animals taken with various .30-06s, plus Eileen's total. She used to use it quite a bit as her "big" cartridge when hunting stuff that might be a little out of the class of smaller cartridges, or when hunting in potential grizzly country:

Pronghorns
Whitetails (in Montana etc.
Mule deer
Elk (have killed more with .30-06 than any other cartridge, including my biggest bull—which didn’t go as as those lung-shot with the .300 Winchester and Weatherby Magnums)
Black bear
Caribou (my longest shot and biggest bull)
Red stag, both in Europe and New Zealand
Numerous feral goats and pigs (both are considered among the toughest big game animals of their size)
Springbok
Bushbuck
Kudu (my second-longest shot in Africa, 360 yards up a mountain, which dropped when hit doe to the 180 Nosler Partition breaking the downhill leg and then then spine)

Eileen:
Bighorn sheep (hunting in grizzly country)
Black bear
Gemsbok
Kudu
Red hartebeest
Blue wildebeest
(These four African animals are considered among the tougher to bring down.)

Have also had around a dozen companions use the .30-06 when hunting in various places from Africa to Alaska, and none had any trouble killing a similar list of animals.

What, no grizz?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was a youngster I thought 30-06 was a big bore. When dad bought me a Springfield and mounted a K4 Weaver on it, I thought I had the perfect rifle for coyotes on up. The stock was cut down military stock with a home made cheek piece and a recoil pad added. (I had a 6mm before that 30-06 and maybe a 264 then a 22-250 a few years after). I'm still not so sure that a Springfield with a K4 doesn't come close to a perfect rifle for game. I mainly used cast 170 grain hollow points for deer, then when I could afford it I used 165 or 180 grain CL's. That combination never failed me. I just used loads that were in my Lyman manual. I had no chronograph and I didn't know anyone that had one. However my brother built a swinging weight that: after it was hit it swung back and pushed a rod. Measuring the amount the rod was displaced and using some basic physics it gave us an idea the velocity of the bullet. But I what the manual said was good enough I thought.
There are other cartridges that are flatter shooting or have more energy or kick less but most of my shots at deer were under 100 yards, certainly under 200 yards - a point blank range that didn't require a ultra magnum cartridge to get a solid hit.
I can not understand why someone would diss the 30-06. It may not be the very best in every use, but it works well in almost every use on everything I'll ever shoot (OK except Prairie Dogs). Cast bullets work well and there's lots of bullets that are perfect for the most popular center fire cartridge in the USA.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

List of places I've eaten a McDonalds [bleep] burger:
<clip>

Fascinating....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Llama, give up while you're behind. You're leaving no doubt as to what a dumbasss you are.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 9 of 18 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

57 members (Anaconda, 7mm_Loco, 808outdoors, Akpilot, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 6 invisible), 1,235 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,119
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.