Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by David_Walter
So, finally got the unit apart, and it was a case head separation. The upper, barrel and BCG are OK, the bolt needs replaced, and the charging handle is bent from me "mortaring" it to get the stuck case out.

No more reloads from pick up brass, I guess.

And no more reloads from friends

I'm not sure about the logic of the statements in bold above - seems like you're over reacting a bit.

I can't tell from the photo, but what happened to the bolt?

ARIC

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I wouldn't touch brass I didn't know the history of and I wouldn't shoot someone else's reloads, period.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I would have to know the reloader and have solid trust that they knew what they were doing before shooting their reloads, and even then I would probably want to shoot them in their gun, not one of mine.

Range brass? No problem, gimme.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dla

I can't tell from the photo, but what happened to the bolt?

Bolt survived fine, except the extractor is toast.

[Linked Image]

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
So it’s range brass reloaded and since there’s no proof of times fired we really can’t lay blame on the manufacturer. But just out of curiosity what did the head stamp read? May be part of a puzzle for someone else.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I doubt it was the brass.

MM

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just wondering
I have seen times when dropping powder that a little would "bridge" or get stuck for what ever reason in the powder dispenser. Wondering if something like that happened and you got a round that may have had a partial charge and this round that got a full charge plus what ever did not "drop" from the other charge?
Just a thought. No matter what happened, sorry it did

Last edited by pullit; 10/28/21.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

MM

Unless it was a range pickup of commercial federal brass, i.e. what you find in American Eagle ammo. That stuff is way to soft, so I could see that being the root cause.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

MM

Unless it was a range pickup of commercial federal brass, i.e. what you find in American Eagle ammo. That stuff is way to soft, so I could see that being the root cause.

By no means am I the senior hand loader here. But the only brass I’ve had issues with has been Federal; .270 Win and 7mm RM. Some of each, once fired, had primer pockets that wouldn’t hold a primer. On the other hand I’ve loaded Federal 9mm and .40 with no issues. But it’s be hard to get me too go with Federal on rifle ammo again.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"...probably just a little out of battery ..."

How far out of battery does it have to be for an AR not to fire?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll stick with hang fire.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shootem
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

MM

By no means am I the senior hand loader here. But the only brass I’ve had issues with has been Federal; .270 Win and 7mm RM. Some of each, once fired, had primer pockets that wouldn’t hold a primer. On the other hand I’ve loaded Federal 9mm and .40 with no issues. But it’s be hard to get me too go with Federal on rifle ammo again.

Soft brass, such as to allow primer pockets to expand is sure as hell not going to cause a failure like that.

That is high pressure & the brass would have had to have had numerous firings on it to have weakened to that level.

If an AR bolt is even a little out of battery, the FP cannot reach the primer, so I really doubt that the gun fired out of battery either.

Too much powder is far & away the most likely culprit, but as in most post mortems like this, we'll never really know, so pick your theory & stick to it.

MM

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Went to the range today and shot 50 rounds through this upper and barrel with only a new bolt, once it was put back together.

Ran fine.

I'm currently of the overgharge theory.

John Stark.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’m leaning towards a loose neck and bullet setback creating over pressure. Far more damage done to the base than what I can see as just case separation.

But who knows.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by TWR
I’m leaning towards a loose neck and bullet setback creating over pressure. Far more damage done to the base than what I can see as just case separation.

But who knows.

Did you miss the part where he bent the charging handle "mortaring" it out? A lot of that damage was post-mortem.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Might be a good idea to bend a paper clip in a short "L"shape to check your brass.

I run the check for separation on all of the brass i use and load for others.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Originally Posted by TWR

But who knows.

Did you miss the part where he bent the charging handle "mortaring" it out? A lot of that damage was post-mortem.

Have you ever seen one mortared that pulled off more than the rim? I haven’t. What took out the pie slice shaped divot was not the extractor. In my mind it took the easiest route and gas escaped through the portion of the rim least supported, the extractor cut.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Mortaring the rifle yielded nothing but a ruined charging handle from me banging it on a table when mortaring didn’t work.

Soaking in Kroil for two days and tapping the back of the BCG with a punch freed up the stuck case.

I wasn’t there when the smith got it apart, but the rim was still partially on the case, he said. He removed that and used a threaded tool (like the one for cases stick in a die?) to get the case out of the barrel.

John Stark.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
So, finally got the unit apart, and it was a case head separation. The upper, barrel and BCG are OK, the bolt needs replaced, and the charging handle is bent from me "mortaring" it to get the stuck case out.

No more reloads from pick up brass, I guess.

And no more reloads from friends.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sorry the way I read this was you bent the CH mortaring it to get the stuck case out. I didn’t see anything else stating the smith got it out.

So now I’m back to just “I’m glad it worked out”.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Mortaring the rifle yielded nothing but a ruined charging handle from me banging it on a table when mortaring didn’t work.

Soaking in Kroil for two days and tapping the back of the BCG with a punch freed up the stuck case.

I wasn’t there when the smith got it apart, but the rim was still partially on the case, he said. He removed that and used a threaded tool (like the one for cases stick in a die?) to get the case out of the barrel.

What brand brass?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
789 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 78 invisible), 3,097 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,359
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.