Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I am a CT resident looking to hunt Coyotes on state land. From what I can't read you can't use anything larger than a .22 cal rimfire rifle on state land. I thought about giving the 17wsm a try but it seems like there is mixed reviews on the rifles and ammunition. all thoughts are welcomed.
Thanks!

BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
17 Remington.

bkraft

"Four things greater than all things are, Women and Horses and Power and War."
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
That is one of the more goofy laws that I have heard of. If you can use a .17 cal I would go to a 17 hornet. If you are limited to rimfire than yeah that is about the most pop you are gonna get. Even as bad as most of the 17WSM's shoot, it will be plenty accurate for coyote out to 150-175 yards. I would not shoot them beyond 125-150 with a wsm but that is just me.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bmoney
Even as bad as most of the 17WSM's shoot

Quit bad-mouthing the B-Mag......grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by richyonks
I am a CT resident looking to hunt Coyotes on state land. From what I can't read you can't use anything larger than a .22 cal rimfire rifle on state land. I thought about giving the 17wsm a try but it seems like there is mixed reviews on the rifles and ammunition. all thoughts are welcomed.
Thanks!

It would be quantum leaps ahead of a .22 LR on coyotes. Not a first choice but given your parameters, maybe the best choice.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Connecticut resident to. I picked up a Savage A.22 Magnum for coyotes. Haven’t tried it yet.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Lol you got me there. I actually saw a new 1885 Winchester single shot on Ron Spomer's channel that shot like dog wad too. I like the cartridge, it is a cool idea and I really like the rifle that you have.

OP- .22 mag is a good option for closer shots.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks!

I doubt that you will be satisfied with the results. The 17's, whether it be HMR or WSM, is a great round on what it was it was designed for - ground burrowing rodents. A coyote is a lot heavier weight wise and muscle wise and has more tenacity for life, it may eventually die both it will be rare that it is a quick painless death and IMO even a coyote should not suffer a lingering death.

I shot one with my 17HMR at 110 yds and it only took one time for me to realize how ineffective that the 17 rimfires were on a larger animal. I am sure that there have been coyotes killed with the 17's but I think that they one shot and flop is the exception rather than the rule. I realize that I am using the 17HMR for comparison but I suspect that there is not that much difference in the bullet construction and the results on a coyote are likely to be the same.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ch/true/re-17-hmr-vs-coyote#Post16330058

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
......you can't use anything larger than a .22 cal rimfire rifle on state land.

Wow. I can just see the debate between a hunter and a game warden.

The 17 Remington is smaller than the 22 rimfire.
The 17 Remington is larger than the 22 rimfire.

Your government at work.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O

I’m not sure if that’s tongue and cheek. I love my little b-mag. Not the smoothest action around but a terrific shooter.
I keep a bait on the frozen lake out here during winter and last winter I dropped a coyote in its tracks a couple yards this side of it. I’ve shot a good number now with it, no trouble. Cheap to shoot and very lite. .25 grain rounds.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Osky

I love my little b-mag.

Osky

crack whores need love, too......

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I would go with a .22 Magnum or the .17 HMR with the 25-grain CCI ammo designed to penetrate deeper.

The .17 WSM is essentially dead. It's an OK cartridge, but the .17 HMR ammo for the Savage semi-auto gets just about the same velocity, with excellent accuracy.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Originally Posted by ingwe
Thanks!

It would be quantum leaps ahead of a .22 LR on coyotes. Not a first choice but given your parameters, maybe the best choice.

The WSM knocks them effectively. I watched 1 get hit at around 100 yards and not take another step.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If you get one, I have a buddy who ordered a case of Hornady 17 wsm by mistake. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
......you can't use anything larger than a .22 cal rimfire rifle on state land.

Wow. I can just see the debate between a hunter and a game warden.

The 17 Remington is smaller than the 22 rimfire.
The 17 Remington is larger than the 22 rimfire.

Your government at work.

If I were the warden, I’d say the 17 Rem is not a Rimfire, here’s your ticket.

NRA Patron
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I snagged a B-Mag, with the stainless heavy barrel for $180(on clearance)at Field and Stream last year. Not sure about coyotes, but it's a hammer on fox.

It shoots 1/2 inch groups consistently in calm conditions at 100 yds. Add wind, and that's where you find the Achilles heel of just about any 17 cal bullet. I like the WSM for sure. I'd opt for the 20, or 25 grain bullet though. The 20 grain hollow point sure puts a whollop on them!

Only thing I did to the rifle was bedding and free float.

Good luck

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
22 WMR or as I call it the 22 'wamer'

All sorts of stuff is in severe danger within 100 yards.

With the new fangled 'tipped' ammo and pointed soft points the ol' magnum just gets better.

Last edited by boomwack; 12/07/21.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I love the WSM for the job it was designed for. Dont ask it to overstep its range. Rimfire ammo is the only type allowed here after dark with coon hounds and lights. It will fold a coyote if you are patient enough to let them come in as far as they will. Have a B mag with a can and thermal scope, Its a super set up to not disturb the piece.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
piece of what ?......

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Huntsman22: I think he meant "disturb the peace"?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
770 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 88 invisible), 2,828 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,046
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.