Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I thought I'd actually "test" how well Dyna bore would work on a rifle. It was my 300 H&H pre-64 Mod 70. I cleaned the bore to the metal. Then I fired 30 rounds through it. I cleaned it to the metal once more - a grievous process that took quite a few patches, JB cleaner, some good brass remover. I finally got it clean, it took quite awhile and work. Then I coated it with Dyna Bore treatment. Shot 20 rounds and I cleaned it again. 15 minutes and it was clean. I had not tried this "before and after treatment" and to say the least, I was impressed.

I went to their WEB site and was surprised that the site was mainly about treating bullet molds no mention of bore treatment. Anyone have experience with Dyna Bore and bullet molds?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did you see any change in accuracy? Just curious if it would help a rifle that I just can't get to shoot up to its potential. It seems to shoot better with a dirty bore and I have thought about the DBC treatment to see if it would help.

Last edited by Blacktailer; 10/27/21.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
DBC might or might not help.

It's helped my barrels the most when they tend to copper-foul quicker than other barrels. In general, I've found that barrels which shoot better when somewhat fouled tend to not copper-foul much. Instead they seem to be more sensitive to powder fouling.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I tried it on a couple of barrels myself. As stated cleaning a barrel back to metal is a job but I did it (and I keep my barrels fairly clean to start with) I applied DBC and shot it about 15-20 time, it was easy to clean with just a few patches and some Shooter Choice. I saw no difference in accuracy.

The next barrel was brand new so just a few patches to clean it up and I was good to go. I applied DBC and did the barrel break in. When I was cleaning between shots, there was nothing coming out on the patches. Super easy to clean. As far as accuracy goes on that one, I have nothing to gauge against but it was very accurate.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have put DBC on most of my rifle’s bores. This was the first one that I cleaned to metal, shot it, cleaned to metal, DBC, shot it and cleaned it again. I am very impressed!
As far as comparing accuracy, a couple of things: I glass bedded the action at the same time as the DBC so accuracy test would not be valid. I didn’t think of that test. Besides in the past two weeks we’ve had over 8” of rain and it’s been cold, muddy and windy. Part of my range was under water for a week.
In another rifle, I found that accuracy deteriorated the first couple of groups, then shot as well as before after that (maybe better). I’m thinking on my prairie dog rifles it has to help as I might put a few hundred rounds down the barrel before cleaning.

But the question I asked regarding bullet molds; anyone try this?:
What is the purpose?
Does it help releasing the bullet?
Does it help fill out the mold?
Or is it for rust protection?
Or is it a combination of a couple things?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Shot 20 rounds and I cleaned it again. 15 minutes and it was clean."

15 minutes? One minute, two patches would be impressive

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by 5thShock

Which is what usually happens after I install it. Though it would also depend on the solvent and cleaning technique.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

15 minutes because of the solvent(s) I use: I let it set in the bore for a while to let it work to get the copper out. I wasn't cleaning it for 15 minutes with continuous patches. I have most different solvents on my bench, including some that were I remember as the sweet hearts for the shooters in the 70's and 80's. (Sweets, Butches Bore Shine, Shooters Choice and newer copper removal and residue removal solvents). I even have Hoppe's Number 9, because it reminds me...

What the first patch looked like was black from powder residue and a very slight hint of blue. I don't think DBC installation eliminates powder residue so much as copper fowling. But the powder residue was removed very easily too.

The previous cleaning was over a few days, I let the solvent I used set over several nights and I cleaned it every few hours during the day. Yes, the improvement was significant and impressive.

Last edited by Bugger; 10/28/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good, I'm gettin' some.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Did you see any change in accuracy? Just curious if it would help a rifle that I just can't get to shoot up to its potential. It seems to shoot better with a dirty bore and I have thought about the DBC treatment to see if it would help.

I've not seen Dyna Bore "helping" innate barrel accuracy. A barrel will do what it's gonna do; it is what it is.

DBC does seem to help cut down on copper fouling, which can disrupt accuracy.

So, it won't make a barrel more accurate, IME it does keep an accurate barrel performing well for longer strings of shots.

Agree that some barrels shoot better with powder fouling, not likely though, with a lot of copper build up.

DF

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
DF,

Exactly my experience as well.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've used it on more than a dozen barrels, including stainless AR's & it definitely reduces copper fouling & the barrels clean very easily.

I will keep using it on any new barrel & will be doing another AR barrel this weekend.

MM

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
MontanMan,

As I have mentioned before when discussing DBC, I like shooting rifles a lot more than cleaning rifles!

John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

As I have mentioned before when discussing DBC, I like shooting rifles a lot more than cleaning rifles!

+1000

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
MontanMan,

Yup! I’m betting that not many guys would say otherwise.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

the stuff is amazing when used on a front stuffer… I used to get 2 shots with not swabbing, I can get nearly 6-8 now…. Crazy.

Same for shotguns, no powder ring or melted wad derbies.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Spotshooter,

Which is why more than one muzzleloader company started installing DBC at the factory.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is Brownells still the pace to buy DBC?
Got a prefit Proof that’s not been test fired so I want to coat it before the first round.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Both Brownells and Midway list it in stock.

When I last talked to the company that makes DBC, a couple years ago, they confessed that it was such a small part of their business that they wanted to have some other company market it. I suggested Brownells and Midwayas good candidates, but they had already had great luck with both companies--and apparently followed through on their experience....

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Spotshooter,

Which is why more than one muzzleloader company started installing DBC at the factory.

I did not realize that… thanks.

After I coated my Lyman Great Plains Rifle 54 cal. When I would run my swab down after 1-2 shots the rod would bottom out and I’d let it go to change my grip to pull it up, and the thing would fly back up / out because the bore was so slick - the compression pressure caused it because I leave the used cap on when I run my cleaning pass. It sure surprised the heck out of me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (160user, 219DW, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 47 invisible), 1,857 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,184
Posts18,465,685
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.