Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
i have a rifle that if very difficult to close the bolt on loaded rounds using nickle plated brass, spent cases extract just fine. it does not have this issue with regular brass. does this make sense?

Last edited by gitem_12; 10/27/21.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
All brass sized the same way/amount?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It kinda makes sense - the coefficient of friction between nickel/steel and brass/steel is 50% higher. All other things being equal - e.g. sizing of case body and headspace.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If the coefficient of friction is playing any significant role in how easy it is to close the bolt your cases are oversize.

I'd be inclined to look at sizing as a potential issue here. Is it factory loads or reloads?

If reloads, were they fired in this rifle?

Are they perhaps over length? Or bulged at the case mouth from overcrimping? Or perhaps this batch is a bit out of spec, such as on head size or extractor groove depth. What action is it ? PF or CRF bolt action for example?

You could try painting one up with a Sharpie and then carefully chambering it, to see if you can find any points where it is a bit tight.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
factory loads or relaods, they all do the same thing

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

It kinda makes sense - the coefficient of friction between nickel/steel and brass/steel is 50% higher. All other things being equal - e.g. sizing of case body and headspace.

You sure about that? I think nickel has a lower coefficient of friction than brass.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nickle brass sucks! Unless you have small base dies, I wouldn't reload it. It has always been my experience it doesn't move as well as regular brass.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting. A friend, who is not a reloader, gave me a bunch of once fired nickle plated brass. I have reloaded it several times without any issues...

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’ve reloaded 7mag, no issue that I remember

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Use a dedicated sizing die -- nickel cases scratch the sides. Adjust to fit your chamber...

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I reload them fine out of my 7 mag as well. I am wondering. but the 280s range from a bit stiff to close the bolt on to down right TOUGH to close the bolt on. fired cases extract with no issues at all

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use nickel brass almost exclusively for my .280 Remington custom Mauser. I've never had a problem with that brass.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I use nickel brass almost exclusively for my .280 Remington custom Mauser. I've never had a problem with that brass.
Paul B.

Winchester or Federal

these are Winchester.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a hundred Rem. nickle brass for my 7mag in 1994.The brass was great.I know I loaded some of those cases a dozen times.I bought another hundred cases later in the early 2000's and that brass was horrible.Very inconsistent on the hardness of the brass causing big variation of neck tention.Some of it was so hard it was difficult seating bullets.I'm sorry,new brass should be soft.Never bought anymore after that.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Paul B.

Winchester or Federal

these are Winchester.

Mine was Winchester 280. FWIW...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by dan_oz

You could try painting one up with a Sharpie and then carefully chambering it, to see if you can find any points where it is a bit tight.

That's what I'd do first.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I bought a hundred Rem. nickle brass for my 7mag in 1994.The brass was great.I know I loaded some of those cases a dozen times.I bought another hundred cases later in the early 2000's and that brass was horrible.Very inconsistent on the hardness of the brass causing big variation of neck tention.Some of it was so hard it was difficult seating bullets.I'm sorry,new brass should be soft.Never bought anymore after that.

Tried nickle plated brass once. Never again. Stuff is too hard for me.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 10/28/21.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by southtexas
Interesting. A friend, who is not a reloader, gave me a bunch of once fired nickle plated brass. I have reloaded it several times without any issues...

Same here. No problems. The only real issue with it is its hard on the trimmer. Wears them out twice as fast.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by baldhunter

90's R-P is excellent stuff.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 3,049 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,264
Posts18,467,183
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.