Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
I have had about every kind of knife steel. Mainly some kind of stainless.

But I’ve been wanting something different. How does Damascus stand up to some of these “super steels” for a hunting knife. I use my knives exclusively for field dressing and general use around camp. I have skinning knives.

Could anybody recommend a knife maker that makes high end performance Damascus knives?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
like anything else, it depends on what the steel is made from, and who did the work. I have seen some pattern welded steel that will compare well with the best of modern steels, and I have seen some that is not worth the money. I have gotten the best results from steel made by a good blacksmith. Some combinations that seem to work well are 1095, 1084, 52100, and 15N20. Not all steels blend well together though.
Best advice would be to look at a blade smith that is well known for working with Damascus steel

Sam......

H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Mannlicher, do you have any recommendations for good blade smiths?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Look at the member listings of the American Bladesmith Society.

Offerings range from mild to wild as far as cost goes.

https://www.americanbladesmith.org/

Jerry Fisk is a well established master.

Nordic Knives and Arizona Custom Knives usually have some inventory of quality damascus knives.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Look at the member listings of the American Bladesmith Society.

Offerings range from mild to wild as far as cost goes.

https://www.americanbladesmith.org/

Jerry Fisk is a well established master.

Nordic Knives and Arizona Custom Knives usually have some inventory of quality damascus knives.

Good advice!

Blade Forums will have Pattern Welded Steel Knives (AKA Damascus) as well.

IIRC the last time I spoke with Mr. Fisk his knives started about $3,400 and he had a 3 year wait. That was several years ago. I do not know if he is still taking commissions. I've not kept up.

The Bridged Over Troubled Waters Bowie.......

https://jerryfisk.com/knife_gallery/displayimage.php?album=4&pid=1078

You mentioned high end knives, I do not know what your pain threshold is but $30K would probably not touch this.

Anywho, Google is your friend!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And then there is the cheap Pakistani damascus made from hammered out steel cable and heavily etch to bring out the pattern. They make nice letter openers.

If you're just field dressing then you really don't NEED a high quality steel. Heck my brother dressed a deer with a piece of glass when he forgot his knife. Damascus steel is no longer state of the art and any of the super steels will out perform it but then it is awfully pretty. With that said, I like a good looking knife.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hunter13
Mannlicher, do you have any recommendations for good blade smiths?

Look at Rusty or Rick Menefee. I have a dandy Damascus skinner that Rusty made. If you can find and talk Kevin Colwell into making something, he is a master at forging and using traditional pattern welded steel. Several of the Mississippi knife mafia fellows work with that Alabama Damascus from time to time.

Sam......

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Two thoughts.

First, the photos are historical photobucket images, so pardon the large image size.
Second, Hope you guys don't mind my trip down memory lane. It's a slow day and I was in the mood.

Best,

GWB

The OP might contact VinceM @ VCM Custom Knives to see if he has any Damascus knives in inventory.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I got this Damascus "Gaucho" pattern knife and the Ray Kirk copies from The KnifeFather (VinceM)

https://www.vcmcustomknives.com/

or direct for Ariel Salaverria.

https://www.aescustomknives.com/

These days, I do not keep up with Rick and Rusty's comings and goings to the degree I once did, so I'm out of the loop, but IIRC neither are what are referred to as "Heater & Beater's"

I have a number of Rocky's knives, only one with a hamon, but no pattern welded or "damascus" blades.

I have one by Ricky Bob. I call it my "Monkey Puzzle" Menefee. The first time I laid eyes on it, it seemed there was the body of a monkey dancing.

It is my understanding that this was his first Damascus Knife. Whether or how many other Damascus knives he has made, I do not know.

Mike Miller, who posts here fashioned this one for me during my "Nessmuk" period.

Mike is also a stock removal guy and unless I'm mistaken this is Alabama Damascus Steel.

Mike makes a good knife and is very reasonable on price.

Here are a couple "Leaf Pattern Damascus" by Mike Williams, ABS Master Smith. At that time $1,500 would buy you a ticket for either of the two.

The Capstone of my Williams Collection, A Quillon Dagger, Leaf Pattern Damascus. The handle is also forged pattern Damascus. At $2,500, this is the most I've paid for a blade. I made the sheath.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Awesome G..

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My thoughts- I do use Alabama Damascus. When it was first available I did not like it because his blend did not have enough high carbon in it to make a good knife. In later years he has added 52100 and more 15n20 to bring the blend up higher in carbon which works. Outside of his I look for 1084 and 15n20 for good Damascus. They both have the same carbon content which during heat treat causes less stress in the billet. I liked Devin Thomas and Chad Nicholls blends when I can get them. Chad makes some Stainless Damascus which heat treats like 440C blade material. There are many now who make good Damascus. You just have to find them . Poor brothers in Texas do nice work. Randy Haas son makes exceptional patterned product.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I’ve got some Damascus blades in the works at the present. 1084/15N20

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I’ve got some Damascus blades in the works at the present. 1084/15N20

+1

ya!

GWB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check out some of the knives by Bill Akers at Backwoods Custom Knives, he does some great work.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by elkchsr
Check out some of the knives by Bill Akers at Backwoods Custom Knives, he does some great work.

He used to post on here didnt he?

MAGA
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by elkchsr

He used to post on here didnt he?

Google is your friend......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Backwoods-...-Game-Hunter-Damascus-Knife/114253599203

ya!

GWB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know he used to sell a few here. Always had very good looking knives.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hunter13
I have had about every kind of knife steel. Mainly some kind of stainless.

But I’ve been wanting something different. How does Damascus stand up to some of these “super steels” for a hunting knife. I use my knives exclusively for field dressing and general use around camp. I have skinning knives.

Could anybody recommend a knife maker that makes high end performance Damascus knives?

Burt Foster
or
Kevin Cashen
in
15N20 / 80CRV2

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (Akpilot, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, akpls, 13 invisible), 1,632 guests, and 847 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,516
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.