Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Hickok45 just announced it.

I've always stayed ahead, and whenever I get down below a couple pounds, would scrounge around till I could find a few more pounds for sale to keep on hand (so I have several pounds on hand), but this is terrible news. Why on earth would they do that? Liability pressure? Tragic!

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Just checked. I've got three and a half pounds of FFFg and nearly two pounds of FFg. That's a good bit, unless you shoot a lot of it, but I do tend to shoot a lot of it, so that's not going to last more than a couple of years. So, from now on, it looks like we're stuck with foreign made black powder, and who knows when its import will be banned.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Looks like it's a company owned by Hodgdon Powder Company. Hodgdon has a statement on their site explaining the decision, but really doesn't explain why. They say they are closing down operations at the Goex plant, but they are considering selling the business to someone else at some point, so hopefully someone will buy it and start making it again, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Sadly, the last time it was available at Graf and Sons, this past summer, I was very close to pulling the trigger on a whole case of it, just in case. If only I had done it. I ultimately decided there was no need for such a drastic and expensive move. What a mistake! frown I've got to learn to follow my spidey senses.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can shoot about 100 rounds with 70 grain load per pound. So 3 pounds burns up quick if you are shooting a few boxes of balls per year.
I split a case with my good friend last winter. Kinda wished I got a case each. There are other brands though, but supply and demand will play bad with that solution.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Terryk
You can shoot about 100 rounds with 70 grain load per pound. So 3 pounds burns up quick if you are shooting a few boxes of balls per year.
I split a case with my good friend last winter. Kinda wished I got a case each. There are other brands though, but supply and demand will play bad with that solution.

Yep.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Your way late and more than a dollar short TRH it was announced 9/27. The distributors sold all they by 10/2. You give pappy348 a pm he might know of some. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Your way late and more than a dollar short TRH it was announced 9/27. The distributors sold all they by 10/2. You give pappy348 a pm he might know of some. Mb

If he has a good supply of it, he will likely be selling it at current market price, which is likely quite high now. I'll just cross my fingers that they sell the factory to a real black powder aficionado and it will be back on the market before I run out.

E
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
E
Just checked. I have almost 3 lbs.

Seems like someone will supply the future demand eventually.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

If he has a good supply of it, he will likely be selling it at current market price, which is likely quite high now. I'll just cross my fingers that they sell the factory to a real black powder aficionado and it will be back on the market before I run out.

When I dream big I think about winning the Powerball and fugging miss america on the same day. Good luck on your idea though
Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
make your own!

so easy even a caveman can do it.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by deerstalker
make your own!

Watched a video about doing that, and I have the tumbler needed, so could do it. But after you make it, you have to separate out the various grain sizes with three different strainers. So it's actually a pretty involved process from start to finish.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My LGS has already started ording in Swiss

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
make your own!

Watched a video about doing that, and I have the tumbler needed, so could do it. But after you make it, you have to separate out the various grain sizes with three different strainers. So it's actually a pretty involved process from start to finish.

so is making an omelette.
have been making and shooting my own BP exclusively for 60 years. have goex just for comparison of burn rate.
one can make a lb of powder in the time it takes to watch a brainless movie on the tube.

Last edited by deerstalker; 10/27/21.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
make your own!

have been making and shooting my own BP exclusively for 60 years. have goex just for comparison of burn rate.
one can make a lb of powder in the time it takes to watch a brainless movie on the tube.

If I decide to go that way, I'll contact you for some specific instructions. Thanks for the suggestion.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
make your own!

If I decide to go that way, I'll contact you for some specific instructions. Thanks for the suggestion.

TRH check out this thread if you decide to roll your own, vey good description of process by one poster, link to chemicals and more info also.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...6506551/rolling-your-own-bp#Post16506551

Swifty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,267 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,380
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.