#16568162 10/27/21
D
d500lnn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Gentleman,

I had something happen to me at the range yesterday that has never happened to me that I can recall with a centerfire rifle. I had 2 misfires from two rifles yesterday. The primers were hit indented but didn’t go off. One was Hornady SST ammo and on other rifle it was Remington Premier Ballistic Tip ammo. Was this just a freak incident or have y’all had misfire from factory ammo?

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Definitely odd. Did the primers appear to have sufficient dents?

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I had a round of Federal American Eagle 30-06 not go off. When I took it apart it had no powder in it.

D
d500lnn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Yes. I looked quickly and tossed them in the woods. I’ve never had this happen. I’ve had these rifles for a few years and neither one have many rounds thru them. I would consider them quality rifles.

I have racked my brain on why/how this would happen twice.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I'd at least disassemble the bolts to check.

I'd also carefully verify ammo as properly labeled. Being a curious sort, I'd disassemble the dud cartridges and inspect the remaining ones in each package. Might all wind up being inconclusive, but I'd still do it.

IC B2

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would have tried to shoot them again if it was a lite strike . If it didn’t go boom then take it apart and see if there is gun powder in there.

Last edited by Dre; 10/27/21.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
That’s the primers that they developed during Slick Willie’s term that were supposed to go dead after some length of time. 😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I've seen quite a few POS factory loads this year and would chalk it up to the ramped up production and schidty work force.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a Ruger M77 Hawkeye .308go click on a coyote the other day. Then a 22mag shotshell clicked on a cottonmouth. I put the guns away for the rest of the day and tried to shake off the bad juju.

The shotshell later went bang on another hit. The M77 .308 rifle appeared to have a weakened firing pin spring, as hits were light and ignition was spotty. I’d stored it nearly a year with the bolt handle up. Put in a 25% stronger Wolff spring and it seems to be cured.

Now with even more aplomb
D
d500lnn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Higginez
I've seen quite a few POS factory loads this year and would chalk it up to the ramped up production and schidty work force.

This ammo was older. I’d just rescoped a couple rifles and was using access factory Ammo to get on paper.
Originally Posted by JPro
I had a Ruger M77 Hawkeye .308go click on a coyote the other day. Then a 22mag shotshell clicked on a cottonmouth. I put the guns away for the rest of the day and tried to shake off the bad juju.

The shotshell later went bang on another hit. The M77 .308 rifle appeared to have a weakened firing pin spring, as hits were light and ignition was spotty. I’d stored it nearly a year with the bolt handle up. Put in a 25% stronger Wolff spring and it seems to be cured.

I may consider the firing pins. I tossed the bad Ammo. I did try twice to make the 280 round “go off”. May be it was just a very rare 2 misfires in a session.

The rifles don’t get shot a lot. One was built about 4 years ago and the other is a 700 KS in 280. It’s never failed.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
IC B3

B
Bry Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Two duds, two different factory loadings in two different rifles about six months apart three years ago.

First was a Hornady American Whitetail 7mm-08 round when my son was filling a doe tag. He ejected the bad shell and killed the deer with the next one.

Second was sighting in with Barnes VorTeX .270 loads. Wasn’t exactly confidence inspiring for an up coming elk hunt.

Both rifles are Rem 700’s, one late 80’s and the other early 90’s manufacture. Never an issue with either otherwise. Pulled the bullets from both bad rounds, each looked fine. Wrote it off as coincidence of two bad primers.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have had a couple of misfires in the last couple of weeks using my handloads and Federal Magnum primers that I have had a few years. Recent handloads. Both had what looked to me like sufficient dents on the primers. One did fire on the second try, and the other I did not try again. Primers were kept in a chest of drawers in my shop, that is air conditioned in the summer. This from a .264 Win. Mag. using once fired casings, and neck sized only, so head space should not be an issue. I need to try other primers and see what happens. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Out of the couple thousand rounds of centerfire I've shot, the only two misfires I'd ever had occurred with two different rifles and on game. The first was a Ruger Mk 2 30-06 on the largest antelope buck I've ever seen. He didn't stick around for me to cycle the bolt. The second was a Winchester 70 338 WM on a cow elk on my first ever elk hunt. I'd tracked a herd through the snow and had them dead to rights at about 75 yards. They ran off when I cycled the bolt but I caught up with them a couple of hours later and it went bang that time, dropping a very large cow.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Specs on the rifles???

Cleaning regimen on the bolts?

How old is the ammo?

How was the ammo stored?

Did you search the interwebs for misfires or light primer strikes for those rifles and ammo?

Don't know if this will reveal a definitive answer, but maybe we can eliminate some possibilities.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What rifle? Is it possible to measure firing pin protrusion?

D
d500lnn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by WB300
Specs on the rifles???

Cleaning regimen on the bolts?

How old is the ammo?

How was the ammo stored?

Did you search the interwebs for misfires or light primer strikes for those rifles and ammo?

Don't know if this will reveal a definitive answer, but maybe we can eliminate some possibilities.

Valid questions. One is an 7-08 I had built about 3 years ago by Accurate Ordnance on a 700 action. The other is a 700 KS SS in 280. The bolts are cleaned, but not disassembled. They’ve been shot less than 100 rounds. The ammo is 5-7 years old maybe and stored in a safe with 2 dehumidifiers.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
If they are older Remingtons, and I mean 90's or earlier, the firing pin spring could be weak or obstructed. There are ways you can disassemble the bolt your self to inspect inside the bolt body. Or you can find a gunsmith... they should have the tool to disassemble the bolt.

I know AO is no more, but I heard one of the AO dudes started his own pretty close by.

Where in GA are ya?

D
d500lnn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by WB300
If they are older Remingtons, and I mean 90's or earlier, the firing pin spring could be weak or obstructed. There are ways you can disassemble the bolt your self to inspect inside the bolt body. Or you can find a gunsmith... they should have the tool to disassemble the bolt.

I know AO is no more, but I heard one of the AO dudes started his own pretty close by.

Where in GA are ya?

I may reach out to Jason. He is the one that started back at his house. He could inspect/repair either one. He doesn’t live too far from me!

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Throw the guns away, keep the ammo...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

457 members (17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 36 invisible), 1,702 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,229
Posts18,447,713
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.