Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Obi_Wan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I sharpen some knives on a Fallkniven DC benchstone, some on a ceramic rod, and some on a belt sander. Lately, I feel like my belt sander is not performing like it used to. I have been looking at guided sharpeners like the Edge Pro, KME, and Wicked sharp. I have some nice knives from different makers that I use and I don’t want to screw up the edge on a cheap belt sander. Anyone have any recommendations for a guided sharpener?

The expert at anything was once a beginner.

JC
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Jeff,

I've used the old school, very simple Lansky with good results. I also have an Edge Pro with stones up to 600 grit. It gives excellent results and is easy to use.

Jeff

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I went from Lansky to Edge Pro. It does an excellent job, but does take a little practice.

Easy's gettin' harder everyday
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My arms and now my legs are starting to look like I have mange.

WorkSharp Precision Adjust $50

I’ve got a Gatco (like a Lansky but bigger stones), an Edge Pro knockoff, a Worksharp belt sharpener, and started building my own Wicked Edge. I quit on my build when the linked one above came out. It’s simple to use, adjustable, and repeatable. Can buy aftermarket add in’s from ebay and several YouTube video demonstrations are out there.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I have an Edge Pro with Shapton stones. It does an excellent job but like been said above it needs a little practice. Also those Shapton stones are really long lasting and you don't have to be continuously flatting them.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Practice with your new Edge Pro on some Walmart $10 knives. Then have at it with your favorites.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have used Edge Pro and can recommend it. It is much better than Lansky.

Here are a handful of suggestions after using it for about ten years now.

Cover the face of the blade with blue painter’s tape or clear package tape is even better to prevent scratching the finish of the knife. The slurry from stones drips and can scratch the knife if not masked.

The coarse stone that comes with it will wear fast as most coarse stones do. The others are ok, but better stones are made which fit the Edge Pro.

Congress Tools online sells Moldmaster stones, which are good silicon carbide stones. Order the 1”x1/4”x6”, which are $4 - $5 each.

Order several of the 120’s as they wear fast. Add the 400 and 600.

For hunting knives made of the harder steels, Chef Knives to Go sells Atoma diamond plates cut to fit the Edge Pro up to 1200 grit.

Chef Knives to Go also sells lapping taps. The 3,000 grit is fine enough for any knife.

The 140 grit Atoma will put on a hair popping edge with practice. I often use the 140 and stop, and rarely go beyond 400 grit as the toothy edge seems to last longer than a very refined edge. The 1000 grit India stone that comes with the Edge Pro is good to knock off burrs. Use a very light touch, just the weight of the stone to knock off the burr.

As mentioned above, edges will improve with practice.

The Wicked Edge works very well, but uses proprietary stones. The Edge Pro will put on excellent edges with practice and benefits from the ability to use the tool and die maker stones and the Atoma plates.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
different knives get different methods of sharpening. Most of my standard bevel knives are sharpened on the EdgePro Apex. Japanese knives get the water stones, and convex grind blades are done with sandpaper and mouse pad, or a strop.
I recently picked up a WorkSharp machine to do the chef and kitchen knives for my son's restaurant. It does a quick and pretty good job, but I won't put a good knife on it.

Sam......

Obi_Wan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I have some very nice knives that I like to use and now need sharpening. My harbor freight belt sander with Lee Valley Tools belts has always been good for my cheap knives, but I want something nicer for my good knives. Looks like the Edge pro gets the most nods. I also looked at the worksharp. I may have to try both.

JC
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jeffbird

Cover the face of the blade with blue painter’s tape or clear package tape is even better to prevent scratching the finish of the knife. The slurry from stones drips and can scratch the knife if not masked.

The coarse stone that comes with it will wear fast as most coarse stones do. The others are ok, but better stones are made which fit the Edge Pro.

Congress Tools online sells Moldmaster stones, which are good silicon carbide stones. Order the 1”x1/4”x6”, which are $4 - $5 each.

For hunting knives made of the harder steels, Chef Knives to Go sells Atoma diamond plates cut to fit the Edge Pro up to 1200 grit.

Chef Knives to Go also sells lapping taps. The 3,000 grit is fine enough for any knife.

The 140 grit Atoma will put on a hair popping edge with practice. I often use the 140 and stop, and rarely go beyond 400 grit as the toothy edge seems to last longer than a very refined edge. The 1000 grit India stone that comes with the Edge Pro is good to knock off burrs. Use a very light touch, just the weight of the stone to knock off the burr.

The Wicked Edge works very well, but uses proprietary stones. The Edge Pro will put on excellent edges with practice and benefits from the ability to use the tool and die maker stones and the Atoma plates.

Excellent post!!

I have all of the systems mentioned above and a few others such as KME and the Russian ones. I generally use WE or EP, setting the angles to match the Spyderco Sharpmaker which makes for super quick/easy touchup.

On the Edge Pro I've been using the Atoma's as well, starting with the 140 if re-profiling is needed, other than that just go to the 400 and finish at 600. A few swipes then on a strop loaded with 600 grit silicon carbide and I call it done.

Would highly recommend a couple of accessories if you do go EP:

The Slide Guide
The Bench Mount
The Retractable Magnet
A Drill Stop Collar

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
IC B3

Obi_Wan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Journeyman

Excellent post!!

I have all of the systems mentioned above and a few others such as KME and the Russian ones. I generally use WE or EP, setting the angles to match the Spyderco Sharpmaker which makes for super quick/easy touchup.

On the Edge Pro I've been using the Atoma's as well, starting with the 140 if re-profiling is needed, other than that just go to the 400 and finish at 600. A few swipes then on a strop loaded with 600 grit silicon carbide and I call it done.

The Slide Guide
The Bench Mount
The Retractable Magnet
A Drill Stop Collar

Why the drill stop collar?

JC
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Obi_Wan
Originally Posted by Journeyman

Excellent post!!

The Slide Guide
The Bench Mount
The Retractable Magnet
A Drill Stop Collar

Why the drill stop collar?

As jeffbird alluded above, the different grit stones, particularly the included EP ALOx and SiC stones, wear at different rates. I've received MULTIPLE "custom" knives from makers that were multi-faceted at the edge because they used a guided system for final sharpen and didn't compensate for stone thickness as they progressed from coarse to fine. That's always a bummer...

Easy-peasy to make it brainless for a $latte'. Scroll down and watch the vids:

cnTG Stop Collar page...

Last edited by Journeyman; 10/27/21.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I use an Angle Cube to set up my Edge Pro and to change stones. Easy and accurate.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Keith1
I use an Angle Cube to set up my Edge Pro and to change stones. Easy and accurate.

Absolutely, but many MANY people don't understand math enough to make the necessary compensations from an angle cube.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
different knives get different methods of sharpening. Most of my standard bevel knives are sharpened on the EdgePro Apex. Japanese knives get the water stones, and convex grind blades are done with sandpaper and mouse pad, or a strop.
I recently picked up a WorkSharp machine to do the chef and kitchen knives for my son's restaurant. It does a quick and pretty good job, but I won't put a good knife on it.

Are you referring to the little belt sander style?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yes. It does a quick, consistent job on the restaurant knives. They are softer stainless steel, and dull quickly, and sharpen easily. I can do over a dozen in the same time I can do two or three with the EdgePro

Sam......

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Agree. I asked because of the worksharp link cheesy posted.

I have the worksharp belt and use it for my pocket knife mainly. About 15 seconds and it’s sharp again on the brown belt. I’ll do some other kitchen knives too like you mentioned.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ironbender
Agree. I asked because of the worksharp link cheesy posted.

I have the worksharp belt and use it for my pocket knife mainly. About 15 seconds and it’s sharp again on the brown belt. I’ll do some other kitchen knives too like you mentioned.

I bought the ken onion version a few years ago, and couldn't like it. Did at first, but I couldn't seem to keep things even.

So now I use a very worn 220 on the 2x72 to raise the burr and a leather belt on my 1x40 with compound to polish it off laugh

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My wife bought one of the Work Sharp Culinary E5 sharpeners for the kitchen at our vacation home. I must say, though skeptical, the darn thing does a more than decent job of keeping kitchen knives hair popping. Just a few swipes on "REFINE" with the grey or white belts and a couple on the ceramic.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Last edited by Journeyman; 10/30/21.

Obi_Wan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Cheesy
My arms and now my legs are starting to look like I have mange.

WorkSharp Precision Adjust $50

I’ve got a Gatco (like a Lansky but bigger stones), an Edge Pro knockoff, a Worksharp belt sharpener, and started building my own Wicked Edge. I quit on my build when the linked one above came out. It’s simple to use, adjustable, and repeatable. Can buy aftermarket add in’s from ebay and several YouTube video demonstrations are out there.

I’m going to try one of these and I’m trying to get Santa to bring me an Edge Pro, but not sure I’m not the good list.

JC
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
287 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 160user, 22250rem, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 1,979 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,821
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.