Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Same disclaimer as I posted in the Namibia small group trip. I know everyone is either starting or getting ready to start US based hunting seasons and for a lot of people even thinking about Africa for 2022 is somewhere over the horizon. But, for some who need to start sorting out/scheduling vacation time for 2022, I want to get this posted up now. Also, it might be a good time for guys in the deer camps or duck blinds to have an opportunity kick it around together. So.....

For 2022, I have the following dates locked in with Koch Safaris in the Tuli block of eastern Botswana. The property boarders the Limpopo river with South Africa

Pick up in Gaborone - 22 Aug 2022.
Hunt 23 Aug thru 1 Sep - that's 10-full hunting days
Travel home 2 Sep and should be home on the 3rd.

Those hunting dates are centered over prime full dark of the Aug/Sep dark of the moon.

I understand the travel details, departure dates, airline and route are still sketchy now but, 10 full months out, is fine. There are way too many unknowns and still unknowable at this time. All of these revolve around what airlines will be flying then, what routes work for everyone, Covid related testing and travel requirements etc. The MOST important thing at this point is deciding if you want to go. Everything else can be sorted out along the way.

For example, being picked up in Gaborone on 22 Jun. It's only a 2 hr drive on blacktop road all the way from the airport the main Saas Post gate. IF we land early in the morning, say 10 am or before, we'd be picked up at the airport and drive straight to Saas Post. We'd be there early afternoon, light lunch, a little unpacking, hit the range for rifle checks and still time for an afternoon orientation hunt.

Coming back on 1 Aug, we'd just leave Saas Post in time to drive straight to the airport. Again, all this is still too early to try and sort out. Just trying to provide a general idea of timing etc.

Lodging/bungalow consists of 5 private rooms each with en-suite private shower/toilets. Each room can be configured for either a queen size or two twin size beds. So, this means the "small group" can be me +4 if each want private rooms.

This will be a "closed camp". Our group will be the ONLY people hunting on the approximately 250,000 US acres. In accordance with Botswana law, all registered private hunting land must be enclosed by "high fence". He also has access to several other large (5000-25,00 acre) high-fence properties.

Last of the admin notes - because of all the travel/Covid unknowns at this time, anyone seriously interested in wanting to go and willing to make a serious commitment just needs to say so publicly here. No deposit money is required at this time. I have money on deposit with Gerhard to lock in those dates. No deposit (50% of the total daily rate) until 120-days before we arrive unless your are seriously committed absolutely want to lock in. I will also keep a list of the those publicly committing and alternates in case any of the first to commit change their minds. That 120-day cut-off still allows an alternate time to get packed, paperwork and airline tickets.

Now that all the opening admin queep is done here's the price list. Note - these are the SAME prices posted for 2020!!! The only difference is I'm just posting his straight daily rates and individual species trophy and cull/management game fees. He will be putting together several "package" hunts like I poste last year after the calving season is complete and he gets a better idea of game counts.

He is offering a 10% discount on the daily rates only, for those that come in this group. He'll also offer the same 10% discount on the package hunts for this group once he gets a better idea on the game counts in a few weeks.

Daily rate: $350.00 p/p/p/d 1x1 or $250.00 p/p/p/d 2x1. Non-hunting observers $150.00 p/p/p/d. Daily rate includes: Road Transfer to/from Gaborone airport to Saas Post, rifle import permit(s), meals/snacks, lodging (private room w/ en-suite bath) daily laundry service, twice daily maid service, soft drinks and reasonable amounts of locally available beer, wine and hard liquor, PH, hunting vehicle, tracker(s), skinners, initial trophy prep/salting and delivery to taxidermist for export.

Not included are airfare to/from Gaborone or any meals or lodging desired/required before being met at the airport or after being returned to the airport for your return home.

2022 STAND ALONE TROPHY FEES:

Giraffe $2500.00 Eland $1600.00 Impala $400.00
Kudu $1500.00 Gemsbok $1000.00 Warthog $350.00
Bushbuck $1000.00 Blue b/b $600.00 Red h/b $1000.00
Waterbuck $1400.00 Steenbok $200.00 Duiker $200.00
Baboon $50.00 Vervet Monkey $20.00 Jackal FREE

Cull/management animals: Impala - $100.00 ea., blue w/b $200.00 ea., zebra $350.00 ea., and giraffe $1000.00 ea.

**Other species may be available on request

I will post up the details of the package hunts here in this thread once he sends them too me.

DG Hunts:

This year, 2021, he had a very good season on elephant in CT-27. It is located at the N end of the Tuli block. He advertised the elephant there to be in the 30-40 pound range and ended up taking a 50, 60 and a 70 pound class elephants. CT27 - North end of the Tuli Block (eastern Bots) region, 2,000,000 acres. You'd fly into Gaborone. He is still negotiating for quota for 2022 so can't commit to pricing at this point.

All hunts (PG and DG) include road transfers from the airport to "camp". Rifle import permits, all meals, daily laundry service, daily maid service, locally available beer and hard liqueur (within reason). Initial trophy prep and transport to local taxidermist for export etc.

BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
tag

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Are sable and buffalo available?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Ed:

Sable - no, not on Saas Post or any of the surrounding private game farms and generally not offered in the quotas in the govt concession tenders.

Buffalo - no, not on Saas Post or any of the surrounding game farms. Generally, buffalo are only on the govt concession areas. He did hunt several buffalo this year in a concession called CT 1. It's NW of Saas Post several hours and would necessitate staying at a lodge up there - way to far to make a daily drive. They got some exceptional buffalo in there.

[[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Above is same buff, different angles

Almost a scrum cap!

Very last one of the season - last day at last light.

As of NOW, the tenders for the govt concessions have not be let for bid yet. Gerhard is pretty confident that he will have some access to CT 1 again next as well as elephant. He's also confident he will have access to CT 27 again in 22 and have maybe two buff and two leopard. Prices for any of the DG stuff is undetermined at this point until the tender bids are won/accepted. In any case, the DG hunts would be totally separate from this Aug group hunt.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by M3taco
Ed:

Sable - no, not on Saas Post or any of the surrounding private game farms and generally not offered in the quotas in the govt concession tenders.

Buffalo - no, not on Saas Post or any of the surrounding game farms. Generally, buffalo are only on the govt concession areas. He did hunt several buffalo this year in a concession called CT 1. It's NW of Saas Post several hours and would necessitate staying at a lodge up there - way to far to make a daily drive. They got some exceptional buffalo in there.

[[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Above is same buff, different angles

Almost a scrum cap!

Very last one of the season - last day at last light.

As of NOW, the tenders for the govt concessions have not be let for bid yet. Gerhard is pretty confident that he will have some access to CT 1 again next as well as elephant. He's also confident he will have access to CT 27 again in 22 and have maybe two buff and two leopard. Prices for any of the DG stuff is undetermined at this point until the tender bids are won/accepted. In any case, the DG hunts would be totally separate from this Aug group hunt.

I appreciate the reply and, if you will, keep me informed of any future developments regarding my original post.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Ed - was in contact with Gerhard yesterday. They are still negotiating with the tribal elders who control most of CT 27. Things are looking very positive they will get some ele and MAYBE a couple of buff for 2021. Still nothing locked in yet as far a quota and pricing. CT 27 is a HUGE concession. Something around 2M US acres. One side of it bumps up against ZIM.

The buff in the pictures came from CT1, a bit more central in Bots. That is straight govt controlled and tenders for it are still being worked out and not auctioned till around the first of the year.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
PM sent!

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Reply just sent.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Michael: I sent you both an email and a PM and never heard back from you. Please PM me your correct email address

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
M3taco: Do you offer Warthog Hunting and or other Varmints?
TIA
BTT
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
VG:

He does have some fare warthog numbers. To be honest, most of what I've seen would probably fall into the "good representative of the species" as far a trophy size. I haven't seen any of the "Harley Handlebar" size. Numbers seem to fluctuate a good bit year to year. If they have an extremely cold winter, they die off a good bit. He doesn't offer cull/management warthogs.

As far as other varmints...as long as you're taking a few other animals as either culls or trophies, blackback jackals as targets of opportunity are free as well as vervet monkeys. There are a few baboons but they are very wise and generally you only hear them off in the distance barking. Terrain is pretty flat to low rolling river bottom so it's nearly impossible to get any elevation to see/shoot above the tree line.

There are occasional spotted and brown hyaena but not allowed to shoot.

Michael

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
So.....Happy New Year from Gerhard. He was finally able to get good game counts over the holidays and was able to set some example package hunt prices. I want to be clear, these are just some examples you can take as is or, if you want something custom tailored to the species and quantities you desire, PLEASE feel free to contact Gerhard directly at: infokochsafaris.com Just tell him the species and numbers of each. He will gladly custom tailor a package hunt just for you.

If you go back to the package hunt prices for Gerhard I've previously posted, you'll see there are some price changes. These changes are mostly due to the total number of hunting days. The previous prices were based on 6-7 day hunts while these are set at the same 10-day hunts. When these say 10-day hunts these are 10 FULL hunting days and do NOT include your arrival day or departure day. They include the approximately 2hr road trip from the airport and back and Bots temp rifle import permits. You will loose 1/2 day of hunting the last day in order to obtain your departure Covid test (IF still required) and they cost approximately $85 US (can pay by credit card). It's about a 90 min trip each way from camp to the town with the testing location. Local beer, wine, soft drinks and available hard liquor (within reason) is included. Only extra costs would be tips or IF for some reason we have to overnight in Gaborone for some unknown reason going in or coming home.

Pkg #1 - 6 Trophy Species
(1 Hunter hunting 1x1 gets this quota)
1 Impala $400
1 Warthog $350
1 Blue w/b $600
1 Kudu $1,500
1 Gemsbok $1,000
1 Waterbuck $1,400
10 Days 1x1 $3,500
Straight Price $8,750
Package Price $7,800

Pkg #2 - 7 Trophy Species
(2 Hunters hunting 1x1 each hunter gets this quota)
1 Impala $400
1 Warthog $350
1 Blue w/b $600
1 Kudu $1,500
1 Gemsbok $1,000
1 Waterbuck $1,400
1 Zebra $600
10 Days 1x1 $3,500
Straight Price $9,350 ea
Package Price $8 500 ea

Pkg #3 - 20 Management Animals
(2 Hunters hunting 2x1 sharing this quota)
16 Impala $1,600
16 Blue w/b $3,200
10 Days 2x1 $5,000
Straight Price $9,800 ($4900 ea)
Package Price $8 800 ($4400 ea)

Pkg #4 - 6 Trophy Species and up to 15 Management Animals
(Hunting 1x1 each hunter gets this quota)
1 (T) Impala $400
9 (M) Impala $900
1 (T) Warthog $350
2 (M) Warthog $400
1 (T) Blue w/b $600
4 (M) Blue w/b $800
1 (T) Zebra $600
1 (T) Kudu $1,500
1 (T) Eland $1,600
10 Days 1x1 $3,500
Straight Price $10,650
Package Price $9,950

IF 4 or more hunters book as a group, he's offering a 10% discount on the daily rates. Applies to straight daily rate and individual trophy fee hunts or packaged hunts (that's why the price breakdown is shown above).

He's also offering something new this year as an option. Taking management animals and donating them to the various local villages. These aren't free, you sill pay the standard management fee to kill it and you also pay $2/kg for the carcass weight. Instead of the meat being taken to the local market for resale it goes directly to the villages. You have the option of riding along and personally presenting it to the village Chief/Elders. So, for example 1x management impala - $100, plus $38 (ave) for the meat - $138 US.

Now, here’s the thing about package hunts. As you can see, they have a bit of a discount already built in. IF for some reason you don’t take all the head offered in the package don’t expect a refund or discount unless you don’t have “a shot opportunity” at a given species. Example, you have a “shot opportunity” at a “trophy” kudu of say 54” and you decide to pass because you want to hold out for a 57” and you don’t find a 57”, don’t expect a refund for the kudu. If you don’t take all the management game in a package because you aren’t fast enough on the sticks or clean missing animals or spent to much of your time after trophies or tracking wounded game, don’t expect a refund. Even on management game, the standard “if you draw blood” you pay applies. If they are part of a package, that animal comes off your “quota”. If hunting trophy or management heads, and you draw blood and it’s not recovered, the fee is still due and payable. The reason I’m trying to be very clear about this is someone booking pkg 4 for example, spends all his time after several of the trophies and chooses to not take any management head along the way, don’t expect a refund on the untaken management head. After being on the property four times, IF you don’t take everything offered in a package in 10-days, it’s because you aren’t pulling the trigger not lack of available game or because you’re not being put on the game.

Therefore, I will offer this advice. If, you’re interested in taking very good quality representative species trophies and possibly a "bookable" trophy, take a package hunt. If you want to be extremely selective on your trophies and management heads and bypass good trophies for the possibility of something bigger/better and willing to take a chance of not pulling the trigger on a specific species at all, then book a straight daily rate and individual ala carte trophy/management hunt. I would generally offer this same advice no matter who you hunt with or where.

Again, if you have any questions at all about this trip please feel free ask, PM or publicly here. Also, please feel free to contact Gerhard directly at: infokochsafaris.com

Happy New Year to all and "make a plan" laugh

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Had some news from Gerhard. Looks like the area has been getting good rains so far this year. The Limpopo river is up to the banks and a little flooding here and there this early is a GOOD THING! Means lots of grass for next year and lots of calving/fawning and very good numbers of healthy and fat game this year.

Make A Plan!

Last edited by M3taco; 01/04/22. Reason: Added Photo
M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Gents:

A friend of mine who's been to Gerhard's with me a couple of times pointed out that I had a mistake in package #3 above. I guess when I was doing the cut/paste thing, I forgot to change the total number of head. Package #3 above should read 32 total head, not 20. The two hunters split this between the two of them, however they decide to do it. Each can also add additional head of each listed in the package or other species, either trophy or management at the regular advertised price.

Pkg #3 - 32 Management Animals
(2 Hunters hunting 2x1 sharing this quota)
16 Impala $1,600
16 Blue w/b $3,200
10 Days 2x1 $5,000
Straight Price $9,800 ($4900 ea)
Package Price $8 800 ($4400 ea)

Gerhard could also offer some other species not normally offered as management at special discounted management fees. Example, game you happen to find that is injured or has broken horns or, he may have to fill a meat order for market.

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Three spots left for this trip.

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Quick update - the Covid requirements for entry into Bots have relaxed a little bit.

As of yesterday, 14 Feb 2021, those who are fully jabbed and have all the current boosters and the vax card, can enter the country.

Those of us who aren't jabbed can still enter the country provided we have had a negative RT-PCR test with the sample swab taken within 72 hours of arriving.

They don't address/mention any kind of allowance for those of us who've had it and recovered and still have high levels of active antibodies. Even the WHO now officially recognizes that natural immunity is superior to the jabs.

The govt announcement, unfortunately doesn't address the airlines still may/may not still require a neg PCR test just to board but, at least things are relaxing and I'm hopeful things will be even better/simpler by this Aug.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
M3taco, great news, i have a hunt booked for this fall up on the Limpopo, got Wifes Boma built here at the farm last week, i now need to get in on one of those 30-40 animal cull hunts for 2023, will fill the walls of her Boma with euro skull mounts! cool

Trump Won!
M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Well gents - it's just a couple of days inside the 6-months to departure day for this Aug's trip. With a scheduled pick up date in Gaborone of 22 Aug, it means we'd need to depart the US on 20 Aug. This could be moved a day earlier or later to accommodate someone if needed to fit the dates in.

Still 2-3 spots open and still plenty of time to get organized to make it. If you might be considering it but, don't have your passport, there is still time, just don't delay getting your application submitted.

If anyone is interested in a short 2:45 min video of the Aug 2019 trip there, simply PM me with your email address.

Michael

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
At the 5-month to departure window.

Still time to make a plan and come along.

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Some very good news to pass along regarding the Bots govt further relaxing the Covid requirements for entry.

On 18 Mar 2022 the govt released a statement that you are no longer required to be "fully vaccinated" to enter the country. Their previous definition was you had to have proof of all the "basic series and all the boosters" associated with which ever one you had. Now all they require is that you provide proof of receiving just the basic series of whatever you may have taken and NO negative RT-PCR test.

For those not jabbed at all, all your required to have is the negative RT-PCR test with the sample taken within 72-hrs of arrival in country.

For those with just the basic series and the un-jabbed, you will be required to have the Rapid (15-min) test in the terminal before passing thru immigration (just like last year) but, we'll have to pay for the Rapid test out of our own pockets. Doubt if it will be more than a few USD as the full RT-PCR test with 6-hr results was about $85 US.

Gerhard, and others, are meeting with various Ministers this week to try to convince them to follow the lead of most European countries that have dropped all Covid restrictions/requirements in the last few months.

Michael

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
417 members (10ring1, 1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 43 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 924 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.